PDA

View Full Version : hid lights & 4inch spal fan

jake"08"400
01-28-2011, 01:42 AM
Will running a spal fan (4inch) and my hid lights be to much on my battery and stator? Is anybody else on here running it?

CJM
01-28-2011, 02:08 AM
The only HID kits I know of that work for ATVs with a hi/lo is DDM tuning raptor kits. I never used them myself but they claim they have a true hi/lo function and will work on an atv. However they also note that based on the reflector housing it may not work to well.. https://www.ddmtuning.com/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=36&nav=0,2

HOWEVER: since a 400ex uses H6 bulbs, I do not think they offer a hi/lo setup. could try another style of bulb tho.

You also wont need a spal fan unless you generate alot of heat such as wiith a high compression or larger bore engine. A stock engine doesnt need one, more of a fun thing to do on a stocker.

Max output for the stocker is 147w @ 5000rpm. Keep in mine that its MUCH less at idle.

Spal fan pulls about max 3 amps, which is roughly 35w. So it would be like adding an extra 35w light.

Not sure exactly how much real wattage a 35 or 55w HID would use tho.

jake"08"400
01-28-2011, 02:24 AM
Yea I already got the fan and am in process of putting the hid lights on. Just wondering if they use more wattage than the stock lights. Even tho they are 35 watts but I didn't know bout the ballast. Really thinking that puttin these hid lights on is more trouble than its worth lol:eek2:
But I already got them on just waiting on the wiren harness to come in.

CJM
01-28-2011, 07:36 AM
I find its more trouble than worth to put them in, thats why Im gonna mount some LEDS, bright as heck and super low draw.

Im not sure of the ballast, my guess is they will run 35w due to the bulbs. Guess your gonna find out just how well the battery charges,

Wheelie
01-28-2011, 07:18 PM
The SPAL fan draws 1.9 amps.

jake"08"400
01-28-2011, 08:09 PM
Hey flipper,

What kind of leds you mounting I been lookin myself and just wonderin what you was looking at. O and I deffintley am not doing the hid install just don't feel comfortable with it.:p

dr qwerty
01-28-2011, 08:17 PM
Sure why not i'm bored....

HID draw more power to start then standard bulbs.....how ever use half the power while running
Spal fans usually aren't turned on when you fist start why? you just started the bike.....

So yes i have both, you dont have to have a high and low bulb trust me 35watt HID are plenty...Just double soder the hi/lo together to the hid incase your finger switches from hi/lo when ridding...
A diagram can be found on club700xx how to on hid install i own both bikes same lay out or even on ddm tunnings web site, they use a 450r

So prettyy much make sure spal fan is off when starting lights give it a couple seconds then turn fan on, both will run no issues

dr qwerty
01-28-2011, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by jake"08"400
Yea I already got the fan and am in process of putting the hid lights on. Just wondering if they use more wattage than the stock lights. Even tho they are 35 watts but I didn't know bout the ballast. Really thinking that puttin these hid lights on is more trouble than its worth lol:eek2:
But I already got them on just waiting on the wiren harness to come in.

For the life of me i couldn't figure out how to do it too, the first time i followed the diagrams over and over...well turned out on one soder the one i didn't check n redo i globbed too much which caused one light to ?polarize?, so tip careful with the soder, just enough to get the job done not so much as to make them never to be pulled apart by the hulk...

CJM
01-28-2011, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Wheelie
The SPAL fan draws 1.9 amps.

Thanks for the correction wheelie :) my google fu is weak today.

jake, I Im looking at a few possible ideas. I dont want to remove my stock lights or modify them in anyway, I jsut want some extra output thats totally separate from the stock system. I also dont want HIDs as you need some kinda light to put them into, they require start up time, although they last a long time LEDS last WAY longer and lastly the led lights are just 2 wires a power and a ground, no messing with ballasts and such. downside is cost, every single one Im gonna list is at least 100 bucks.

1. vision X led solstice 10w lights, http://www.visionxusa.com/LED-Solstice-S1100/c1_48_88/index.html these are 2x2 iirc and fully sealed. These are super bright, very easy to wire and only about 100/ea. Not as cheap as the HID's but smaller, easier to mount as they come with little mounts on them already. very HD from what I have read and easily as bright as an HID. draw is very little as well. Im wanting to wire up 2 or 3 of them. A flood or narrow beam in the middle and maybe 2 euro beams or something. Gonna then mount it to the handlebars

2. Led lightbar, either vision x or rigid. looking at a 4-6 inch long bar. something like this: http://www.rigidindustries.com/product-p/rgdl06.htm

3. Rigid dually kit. looking really hard at doing this one due to cost and output this is a 3x3 inch light similar to the solstice series but with a bit larger with 4 leds in them. http://www.rigidindustries.com/Dually-2x2-LED-Lights-p/duallyled.htm uses 10w which is zilch and has 1000 lumens (solstice lights are only 800). Im probably gonna do 2 of them. The flood pattern is a 20 degree setup so if you aim them right you should get a very good spread.

Mounting the lights to the handlebar area is also MUCH better b/c as you turn the lights point better than if they were mounted to the frame.

Anyone of the options I listed or the HIDs are good, the stock lights arent bad but they aint that great either. I dont even do that much nighttime riding (cant see to well lol) but this is more of a for fun project and once done ill probably ride at night-planning a trip to the coal mines in PA and hatfield-mccoy this summer :) Also not one of those things Im gonna do anytime soon only b/c I have other items on the quad that need attn that are a bit more important. like new rear tires.

probably in a few months they will be on there and wired. when i do trust me ill do a write up.

jake"08"400
01-28-2011, 09:30 PM
Thanks flip, yea the hids would work good but on my 08 there isn't very much room to wire up them ballast and I don't wana butcher up my seal on my head lights so its just not for me. The stockers are bright enough till I save bout 150 dollars but I'm like you need new tires worse than extra light.....

CJM
01-28-2011, 10:30 PM
Unless you do alot of night riding its not even really worth it. I usually dont do many mods that arent performance related, my quad isnt pretty it looks beat up but it goes. but the lights are something nice to have.

buy some maxxis razr 2 for the front or razr 1s for the rear-best combo!

jake"08"400
02-02-2011, 11:13 PM
Hey qwerty

On your factory wiren harness did you ground out the ground wire are just tape it up? Also did you use just one relay are two.still debating on the hid light install finally found a spot to put them ballast.