PDA

View Full Version : 08+ fenders on a first gen?

tayyo789
01-27-2011, 05:55 PM
Has anyone done it? The rear fenders are really what I'm asking about. I will have an aluminum tank, so the fronts should just go on with new brackets I'm assuming. Are the rear fenders the same as the first gen, as in they just latch on the back, and go on the tank? Or did they make it so that only the seat unlatches?

PaRedneckRiders
01-27-2011, 06:12 PM
im almost positive they are the same.
I know mac_ando on here posted some pics of his first gen with 08 plastics ill try and digg up the pics.

Ok never mind i thought they were the same but in his pics they look different, here is a link
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&postid=3272520#post3272520

jake"08"400
01-27-2011, 06:22 PM
The 08 and up only the seat unlatches. The plastis are held down with 2 bolts and 2 allen head bolts under the seat.

tayyo789
01-27-2011, 06:38 PM
Hmmm. After seeing it, I'm not sure if its worth it. It definitely looks like it needs to be used with the new tank to lower the front fenders to look clean, and cover the frame rails.

PaRedneckRiders
01-27-2011, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by tayyo789
Hmmm. After seeing it, I'm not sure if its worth it. It definitely looks like it needs to be used with the new tank to lower the front fenders to look clean, and cover the frame rails.
Ya if you look a little down from his first pics he listed what he used and the prices but that was in 08

mattl31
01-27-2011, 10:39 PM
its a lot of work! thats the direction that I wanted to go, but you have to buy the rear fender (2 pieces), new seat, front fender (4 pieces), and a new tank. about 800+ dollars worth of stuff if you buy it new.

i chose to convert my 1st gen to the 2nd gen body style instead.

tayyo789
01-28-2011, 12:19 AM
Well, the only reason I would do it is to upgrade my hybrids fenders, because I use the first gen's aftermarket fenders. Around this time of year, while I'm away at school, I find myself looking at pictures instead of the quad, and I can't help but look for things I would like to change. Since I don't run full fenders (dune bike) I wouldn't need all of the pieces to the fenders if I were to get them. I just think it would look pretty wild with the small agressive looking fenders.

MtnEX
01-30-2011, 10:40 AM
Well.... I think it looks awesome, particularly in all black. This is maybe because it reminds me of the look of my KFX450R because it is all black also and has pointy body lines.

I'm not much on the 2 tone deal.

However, it seems like a real expensive swap to me. I like the '08 plastics and seat and all... but I don't know that it is worth it.

Also, I am really wondering why you'd want to run an aluminum gas tank??????

tayyo789
01-30-2011, 04:15 PM
The aluminum tank will be on my hybrid. Right now I have an IMS oversize one, that I had to melt and reform to get it to fit, and I don't like the way it looks at all. It would be better for fitment, and appearance if I went with an aluminum.

MtnEX
01-30-2011, 09:18 PM
Sounds like a nice way to boil your fuel to me.

That is why I asked.

tayyo789
01-30-2011, 11:31 PM
I've never had an aluminum tank before, but a ton of people have them, so I'm guessing its not that bad. Especially since it'll be spaced off of the motor