PDA

View Full Version : Ball joint questions. Heims?

TJ Bradley
01-27-2011, 05:38 PM
So on some of the pro riders quads it seems most of them have a different looking ball joint than a conventional style one. Looks like a heim joint with a solid rod running thru it to the spindle or something?

What are the advantages to these? and where do you get them?

blaster12s
01-29-2011, 10:12 PM
high end a arms have them. also i made my own set of a arms and did this, they just work better more maintnece but if you do it then less replacing of the part. i love them.

beastlywarrior
01-30-2011, 03:34 PM
my arms came with them, didnt care for them at first but now i love them

trompen542
02-01-2011, 12:45 PM
KOQ racing uses them on their pro-comp a-arms for the honda, and suzuki 450's. With some manufacturers you have to watch out for their pins, they are held together by a 6mm allen head bolt, that can break or come loose, and then the whole a-arm comes apart. with the KOQ arms they use a solid interlocking pin, that can't come apart.

A A R O N
02-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Heims (in theory, and usually in reality) will work a LITTLE better because they move more freely. However, under most circumstances, they will wear out MUCH faster than standard ball joints and have to be replaced more frequently. I would doubt if there is a single racer, amatuer or professional that will see different race finish results from running one or the other (excluding any catastrophic failures of course). Chris Borich is going to win whether he has standard ball joints or heim joints. Mostly, heim joints are an advertising gimmick to let a-arm makers sell you another feature.

400exrider707
02-15-2011, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by A A R O N
Heims (in theory, and usually in reality) will work a LITTLE better because they move more freely. However, under most circumstances, they will wear out MUCH faster than standard ball joints and have to be replaced more frequently. I would doubt if there is a single racer, amatuer or professional that will see different race finish results from running one or the other (excluding any catastrophic failures of course). Chris Borich is going to win whether he has standard ball joints or heim joints. Mostly, heim joints are an advertising gimmick to let a-arm makers sell you another feature.

I agree. For most low level racers and weekend warriors, it'd be a waste to go with heims, just because of the added maintenance and shorter life!!!