PDA

View Full Version : Broken chain adjuster...

motox92
01-27-2011, 04:53 PM
Well I bought an 02 400ex for a grand.

Tightened the chain and after a few hours of riding chain popped off and got jammed in between the front sprocket and the swing arm.

Then I noticed the chain adjuster was broken 90% off. So I took the back end off the ground and the axle moves about 2-3inches back and forward.

My question is will any year bearing carrier off a 400ex work on there?

I'm extremely comfortable working on this I was just wondering which way the axle slides out?

Thanks guys.

Scro
01-27-2011, 05:12 PM
I'm pretty sure all carriers are the same. If you are looking at the rear end, the axle slides out to the left.

motox92
01-27-2011, 05:17 PM
So the brake rotor comes off, the hub comes off and the 4 Allen bolts come off and it should slide out?

I will order a new carrier tonight. Thanks

NacsMXer
01-27-2011, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by motox92
So the brake rotor comes off, the hub comes off and the 4 Allen bolts come off and it should slide out?

I will order a new carrier tonight. Thanks

Pretty much, but there's a little more to it.

Pretty sure the chain is already off the rear sprocket reading your post, but make sure it is. Loosen the four pinch bolts. Remove right side rear wheel and wheel hub. Unbolt the 2 bolts holding the caliper on, and set the caliper on something off to the side. Loosen the axle nut to expose the C-clip on the axle. Pry the C-clip loose from it's groove in the axle and slide it off the axle to the right. Now you can slide the axle nut and sleeve off to the right. Next the brake rotor and hub should slide off and be removed. You may have to tap on the rotor/hub lightly with a rubber mallet while turning if it seems stuck on there.

Now you are able to slide the whole axle out towards the left. Next you need to take off the rear brake stay (caliper bracket). You will need a set of snap ring pliers to remove the snap ring holding the brake stay to the carrier. After that, remove the brake stay (may have to tap with a mallet).

At this point you are left with only the carrier in the swingarm. Tap it with a mallet out towards the left side of the swingarm.

Once the carrier is out, make sure to clean up the inside of the swingarm very well. Follow that by coating the interior with a THIN coat of good grease. Put your new carrier in, and reassemble.

PaRedneckRiders
01-27-2011, 06:01 PM
Also before you start remember that the axle locknut had backwards threads.
Just a tip making sure you knew because i even catch myself turning it the wrong way sometimes not thinking about it.

CJM
01-27-2011, 10:18 PM
Very much worth it to invest in some g-force axle nut wrenches (rocky mtn sells them).

PA pretty much nailed it, thats the basic steps, its rather simple to do. Your new carrier may or may not come with bearings. If it doesnt, you REALLY want to get the right tool to do them right. Either using a press, or a bearing driver or taking it to someone, i found out the hard way. Also freeze the bearings for a good 2-3 hours before you try and pound them in, makes it easier as the cold shrinks them.

I greased everything imaginable on mine, I have an aftermarket carrier but its the same principle (mine does have a nice grease zerk tho). Grease the (this is if you have to put the bearings in) inside of the carrier where the metal tube goes, grease where the bearings go, grease it after you put the bearings in, grease your axle where it fits into the carrier, grease the inside of the swing arm.

I used ALOT of grease, rather it plop out that have to little.

PaRedneckRiders
01-28-2011, 04:33 AM
Ya it is a good idea to use a press when putting bearings in, But i have always froze mine the got a big enough socket to sit flush with the outside race of the bearing and bumped it down in with a mallet, and it works just fine but you have to be careful when you do it this way.

motox92
01-28-2011, 04:57 AM
Thanks for the info guys, its sitting in the garage where I work so I am just going to order the parts and then take it apart when I get them, I am going to buy a carrier with bearings in it.

motox92
01-28-2011, 05:08 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-TRX400EX-250R-Swing-400-EX-Arm-Bearing-Carrier-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5adea88fcbQQitemZ39028 2645451QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

This one should fit?

CJM
01-28-2011, 07:12 AM
YEP! That will fit it and thats a twin row carrier. The bearings are thicker and last alot longer, that one looks like a copy of the lonestar racing one that I have.

You need the following bearings and seals"

seals: ebay item# 160477051694 (incase link doesnt work)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160477051694&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

bearings: part number 6559469

More interesting info- the double wide bearings are a 84-86 C4 corvette AC compressor bearing. bearing number 6559469 or 99 k2500 (old style frontend) chevy 350 v8.

Id suggest a big socket to put them in, think 2.5 inches should work well.

Buy the parts online, other wise lonestar racing is one of 2 suppliers and LSR wants 100 bucks and the other one is boss bearing on ebay, but they dont say who makes the bearings http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REAR-AXLE-BEARINGS-SEALS-TRX400EX-DOUBLE-ROW-TRX-400EX-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4cf238637eQQitemZ33048 1296254QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories item # 330481296254

The bearings I linked you can get at rock auto for AC delco ones (17/ea) and good quality too.