PDA

View Full Version : Very strange wiring issue. Need help!

jkiserracing
01-26-2011, 08:17 PM
I am removing the light switch to wire in a teather kill swich and a dirt bike kill switch as a starter button. I have done this before without an issue but not so much the case now.

Heres what I did. (after taking apart the light swich housing)Simply wired the dirt bike kill switch to the wires from the stock starter button.

Wired the teather kill switch to the on/off button wires.

Heres whats happening:

Key switch is OFF temp light stays on.
Key switch is ON temp light blinks. Press the starter button and temp light stays on again.
Green neutral light does not come on at all.
Quad doesn't turn over or do anything at all. Just sits quietly.

Anybody know what in the world is going on?

jkiserracing
01-27-2011, 05:18 AM
Ok. So I checked the wires and here is what I have:

New starter button wired to red/yellow
Pull switch wired to blk/wht striped
both pull and started grounded to a common wire (for the sake of testing I made a ground to wire to attached to the fender mount however I think the green wire in the bundle may be ground??)

And still the exact same thing...... I dont have the clutch wired to anything but I did wire it to the green that is bundled with it just to see and still nothing.

I think if i took everything off and didnt have anything wired into the harness at all I may still have the same thing. I may try this just to eliminate possibilities I guess.

Still stumped on this one.

jkiserracing
01-27-2011, 05:35 AM
NOTE: I dont know if this has anything at all to do with it but just so you have all the details, there is no front end at all on the quad right now. Im saying that just in case that may make it not have a good ground. Rear is on the ground but front is on a jack.

antwanrttg
01-27-2011, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by jkiserracing
NOTE: I dont know if this has anything at all to do with it but just so you have all the details, there is no front end at all on the quad right now. Im saying that just in case that may make it not have a good ground. Rear is on the ground but front is on a jack.

Does not matter ... your quad isn't grounded to the "ground". Rubber tires aren't very conductive.

jkiserracing
01-27-2011, 07:04 AM
Just trying to eliminate any possibilities.
I still feel like I should get the neutral light even if I have something wrong or nothing wired in at all??

DnB_racing
01-27-2011, 09:03 AM
im wondering if some how you shorted out the diode that only allows the voltage to go one way for your natural lite?? that might cause some issues, I completely removed the whole natural lite and high temp light wiring, also im sure you already checked your fuse??

edit cant be fuse!! it sounds like the clutch safety switch!!! that's about the only thing that would cause this, the yellow with green stripe has to go to a green to bypass the safety, not insulting just making sure that you are in nutral???

jkiserracing
01-27-2011, 09:07 AM
No, have not checked any fuses since I seemed to have voltage going through the wiring.

I don't know how I would have shorted anything but I guess its always possible. I have basically just unplugged several things (lights, throttle wires) and removed my brake lines. Thats really all thats been going on up front.

Any particular fuse you think??

DnB_racing
01-27-2011, 09:15 AM
no it cant be fuse if lites are working,, I wasnt thinking right!! sorry, I really think it has something to do with your old clutch saftie how is that wired??

jkiserracing
01-27-2011, 09:17 AM
Well I tried leaving it just clipped, not wired to anything, then I tried wiring it to the green wire next to it and either way was the same issue.

DnB_racing
01-27-2011, 09:18 AM
do you still have your throttle safety hooked up is so jump that out

jkiserracing
01-27-2011, 09:19 AM
well I had it un plugged but since plugged it back in. It didnt change anything. ( I wasnt even sure what those wires were for)

DnB_racing
01-27-2011, 09:20 AM
the clutch must be hooked to the green the yellow with green stripe to green

jkiserracing
01-27-2011, 09:23 AM
Ok. I will do that (again) and know that it needs to just stay that way.
As far as the green wire in the bundle itself (under hood, near the plug) Is that a ground?

DnB_racing
01-27-2011, 09:27 AM
its more of a common but yes its grounded and thats the same ground that is tied to the frame ... if you have a meter make sure it goes to ground, and as far as the throttle switch that needs to be open I think I will check and let you know!!!! to start dont jump that one together just isolate it but let me make sure!!!

jkiserracing
01-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Im thinking of just trying to wire the original stuff back up just to see if it will work again that way.
What is most baffling is that I un wired the teather and new start button and had nothing touching and it still did the same thing. and again that is:

Red light on when key is in OFF position
Red light pulsating slightly when key is ON position
Red light come ON when start button is pushed.

Before I began it did work fine. I really should be able to figure this out. Frustrating.

DnB_racing
01-27-2011, 09:48 AM
the thing that bothers me the most!!! is that you have the temp lite with key off, thats almost impossible, the red wire into the key is the only wire that has 12volts to it!!!

I dont think its possible to do but make sure that none of the connectors got pluged in wrong, I cant see how with key off you have power!!! the key only puts power from the red which only comes from alternator its not used anyplace else, then the key puts that power to the black wire,,

something is shorted together someplace???

DnB_racing
01-27-2011, 09:58 AM
check your connector for the key switch,make sure its not in wrong, im not sure if its possible to put in backwards, but check!!! the issue that should be checked first is why the lite is on with key off!!

try and fix one issue at a time you might have more then one!!
you will need a meter that will check both 12 volts and continuity,

jkiserracing
01-27-2011, 10:47 AM
Well I'm embarrased to say but I had the key switch in the temp/neutral plug and the temp/neutral plugged into the key plug. They fit right in?? Now the lights work correctly and the switch operates correctly. It still don't turn over though. I do have the new starter button wired to the yel/red wire then grounded. But it doesn't make a sound. I checked fuses at the battery and they were ok. Any other fuses?

jkiserracing
01-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Making progress:

OK, so I wired the old stock starter in and tried just to see.....and lo and behold CONTACT!!

It just clicked at the starter so Im assuming having the lights in the key plug all that time (several days) has drained the battery some. I have the charger on it now.

Now, the old starter basically had to make contact with the yellow/red wire and the black one beside it which gave me the contact.
The starter button I purchased only has one wire and a ground. So should I
A. wire my starter into both of those wires?
B. buy a different one with 2 wires and a ground (if there is such)

jkiserracing
01-27-2011, 12:47 PM
Yes it was no doubt just straight up not paying attention!

Ok Now, I see the black wire your talking about for the lights which I have all ready tucked away. The black wire Im talking about is a second one that is derectly next to the yellow/red wire coming out of the back of the starter button.
I was assuming the two are making contact when the button is pressed.
So, for instance, when I wired my old starter button back up to temporarily check my previous goof ball mistake I actually wired the yel/red to the button AND the black to the black on the button.

Does that make sense?

DnB_racing
01-27-2011, 01:07 PM
I dont remember if the black is needed or not I would need to check with a meter, if the yellow with red has power 12volts to ground then you dont need the black,its been a long time since i did the last one,
I aplogize I dont remember the exact details, just check with meter and it should make sense

edit::::yes your right you need the switch to push the black not the green and the yellow/red stripe Its been so long but yes use the black and the yellow/red

DnB_racing
01-27-2011, 04:56 PM
here is a updated wiring the kill switch and start switch are fixed to represent the proper wire to be used wire colors not drawing colors are.... black to the yellow/red stripe for the start and green to the blk/wht stripe for kill, so yes you need a total of 4 wires, im sorry if I mislead you!! but this is accurate now!!

jkiserracing
01-27-2011, 05:58 PM
Yep that does seem to do the trick Im almost out of the woods here. This time last night I had some crazy stuff happening with this wiring.
I will say I dont think my dirt bike kill switch is going to work. I ordered a different one today. Now that I have it all figured out and wires are in the right places, I noticed some "spark" up on the bars where the kill switch is mounted once the key is turned on. I wire in the old one and problem goes away. Heres a pic of what I have. I guess its the way that ground wires to the clamp.

While were on the subject of wiring, what can I do with the throttle wires? Is it ok to unplug it and clip them at the throttle housing? Or should I clip them but leave it plugged.

DnB_racing
01-28-2011, 05:50 PM
if your seeing a spark at the green connection its because there might be some anodize or powder coat not allowing a good ground,

Im not all that crazy about that type of switch, you will have to keep the connection real clean and corrosion free!!