PDA

View Full Version : Best port and polish?

Fantus
01-26-2011, 02:44 PM
So I would like to know who does the best port and polish on the trx450r head? I have been told RE and DRG are getting the best gains but I have never had head work done and am a noob in this area. Also I was thinking of just pulling the head and cleaning up the casting lines and polishing the ports. What do you guys think?

Ichoptop
01-26-2011, 03:43 PM
a lot can go wrong if you have never done it before. One slip and its an expensive fix. Quite a few companies are doing amazing head work. Give a few a call and feel them out. They should ask you how you ride, a list of mods and your expectations. If you feel comfortable with any of them then do it.

jensenracing77
01-26-2011, 05:24 PM
if any of them say they cut the valve guides also then just go somewhere else. i have seen so many heads done by well named companies that done a crap job and the engine never ran right again. many time a port job will be "you get what you pay for"

Smoker
01-26-2011, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Fantus
So I would like to know who does the best port and polish on the trx450r head? I have been told RE and DRG are getting the best gains but I have never had head work done and am a noob in this area. Also I was thinking of just pulling the head and cleaning up the casting lines and polishing the ports. What do you guys think?

You can do it, done a few mild port and polish jobs myself. Just take your time and don't go big in one spot. 2 mm overall on the intake and 3 mm overall on the exhaust. Take a marker and mark the edge of your intake and scribe a line where you want to stop, mostly just cleaning up the casting boogers and smoothing things out will help it flow. When you drop your valves, bag and mark which valve they are (right exhaust valve, left exhaust valve etc.) make sure you don't nick the valve seats and wouldn't hurt to get some valve grinding compound and lap them real lightly when you put it back together. Don't go nuts and you'll do fine, you won't get the big gains like someone who has the experience, flow bench and dyno time that can really open it up the right way but poor mans port will help a little and you'll learn. Lot of info on the web about doing it yourself.

One wrong move? It's not like the port walls are like an old condom, lol.

Fantus
01-26-2011, 10:22 PM
I only want to clean up the casting lines and polish until I can get my head done, but need to decide where.

DEVINF450R
01-26-2011, 10:45 PM
You can pm me for details on this.

jensenracing77
01-27-2011, 03:17 AM
just don't polish the intake side. the intake side should have some texture to it. the exhaust side can be polished all you want.

Fantus
01-30-2011, 09:47 AM
decided to let a shop do it, so which shop does the best work?

Scro
01-30-2011, 09:52 AM
You may want to check with the companies before you do any modifications to the head yourself. Alot of people won't touch a head that's already been messed with.

simon7
01-30-2011, 10:12 AM
I can port and polish your head for 300 includes valve and valve seat re surfacing new valve seals and valve shim adjustment guaranteed power gain recommend the Hot Cam stage two to be used with port job.
JS Performance ATV inc.