PDA

View Full Version : costum dual batter kit

hondatrxrider07
01-26-2011, 02:32 PM
i read some posts about the 24v battery kit and i wanted to do it myself instead of spending $170. but idk how or where i should mount the second battery. any suggestions?

Scro
01-26-2011, 02:43 PM
The most common places are behind the airbox and under the hood. I've also seen them mounted between the frame rails, right in front of the motor.

hondatrxrider07
01-26-2011, 02:45 PM
yeah, i wanted to put it behind the air box but i dont know how to go about doing it.

DnB_racing
01-26-2011, 10:14 PM
I put mine under my hood... I didnt want to cut the rear fender, and I like running a airbox... if your not running a air box then you can fab up a box. there is a yamaha box that I saw that would work, without a air box ..I forget which one I was looking at,I will look and see if I can find out which one it was

and as far a wiring all that needs to be done is.... first lift the ground from your exsisting battery that will go to new batteries negative in the end, and remove the fuse wire, then run a wire from the first bats negative to new positive and put the fuse wire to this connection then attach your ground and its a 24 volt system, and will start like a flash!!!
wiring this way you charge your second battery from your alternator and it seams to let the first battery to only seldom need to be charged

hondatrxrider07
01-28-2011, 08:21 AM
should i just buy an aluminum batter box and mount that then put the batter in in??

DnB_racing
01-28-2011, 08:27 AM
that works!!! what type of box and were are you mounting?

hondatrxrider07
01-28-2011, 08:32 AM
i was gonna cut out the piece on the air boxthats at the back of the sub frame and mount an aluminum batter box there

DnB_racing
01-28-2011, 08:39 AM
the 300ex has a nice little box that I think could be fabed to fit you might have to build mount, but they can be made to fit... and they are only $10 or less and have the mounts and inside plastic box, if I was going to cut out the tool holder out of my fender this is how i would have done mine!!

instead I just took the plastic box and straped it under my hood, and hide all the wires

SHIFTx450
01-28-2011, 02:15 PM
buy an aluminum airbox with battery relocation kit, and keep the one on the side of the subframe = 2 batteries

DnB_racing
01-28-2011, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by SHIFTx450
buy an aluminum airbox with battery relocation kit, and keep the one on the side of the subframe = 2 batteries true but no need to spend much if your handy and have a drill and some steel us a 300ex box and fab one for about 100 bucks less!!

hondatrxrider07
01-28-2011, 07:21 PM
why dont i just buy a stock 450 battery box instead of 300ex one?

DnB_racing
01-28-2011, 07:25 PM
the one for the 450 you would have to get from a dealer or cut one off a frame, the 300ex is a bolt on and for sale on ebay for next to nothing

unless your talking about just the plastic box not the bracket, then if thats all you need then ya anyone of them will work

SHIFTx450
01-28-2011, 07:48 PM
But then you gotta worry about "where to put it". The aluminum airbox setup with the stock battery box still in tact gives you a clean, near stock setup

DnB_racing
01-28-2011, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by SHIFTx450
But then you gotta worry about "where to put it". The aluminum airbox setup with the stock battery box still in tact gives you a clean, near stock setup The way i was going to do it was remove part of the fender just were the tool compartment is and with 2 pieces of 1' flat stock and a couple of bolts to act as a clamp to hold to the frame right in back of air box, and mount the 300ex bracket to that, if that makes sense, but i just got new fenders and didnt want to cut the fender so I just straped mine undr my hood.

even tho you only have to remove just a very little bit of the tool compartment,I didnt want to

shift;;with the ones your talking about can you use a full size k+n or a velocity filter??

SHIFTx450
01-28-2011, 08:54 PM
It depends on which one you get, I believe there are a couple different ones. I had the Insane Performance ATV one ( with battery relocation kit and no lid) for my 06 er, and had a huge UniFilter in it with no problems whatsoever.

DnB_racing
01-28-2011, 09:07 PM
can you run a pre filter??? where I ride there is allot of mud dirt and water and I run with a outerwear, to keep some of the dirt out, that's the big reason I like using the stock box,

but actually my fenders are getting older now .. I might try fabing the box I was looking at ...It doesnt seam like it will be much work, and it wont cost me anything as I already have what I need

about how much are the custom ones??edit:: I just found them ya thats a little more then I want to spend> and Im not real crazy about the look,, but it would definatly work

hondatrxrider07
01-29-2011, 09:23 AM
i looked at those aluminum ones with the battery relocater and their just as much money as the dual battery kit from dirtworks.

DnB_racing
01-29-2011, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by hondatrxrider07
i looked at those aluminum ones with the battery relocater and their just as much money as the dual battery kit from dirtworks. if your crafty and have some tools and imagination you can build something yourself
the wireing is very simple, just get some good automotive grade wire, I used the same wire that I use to wire amps for the sterio, I use #8 soft braided copper and got some connectors from auto parts

hondatrxrider07
01-29-2011, 09:45 AM
yeah, thats what im gonna do..thanks.

SHIFTx450
01-29-2011, 09:46 AM
I paid 130 for the box from Insane Performance ATV. Came with box, lid, hardware, and battery relocation kit. All brand spankin new. Not a bad deal for a clean setup, not sure of the dual battery setups you're speaking of. Do you have a pic?

SHIFTx450
01-29-2011, 09:48 AM
http://www.atvsport.com/2010/05/27/dirtworks-motorsports-honda-trx450er-dual-battery-24v-system/ found it.. In my honest opinion i think it's a little bulky lookin...

SHIFTx450
01-29-2011, 09:52 AM
I just noticed something, that's me in the foreground with the blk/wht Oneal gear and blue gloves.. But look at the kid on the 450r up front, look at his battery setup. Never seen anything like it before, anyone know what it is?

SHIFTx450
01-29-2011, 09:52 AM
I just noticed something, that's me in the foreground with the blk/wht Oneal gear and blue gloves.. But look at the kid on the 450r up front, look at his battery setup. Never seen anything like it before, anyone know what it is?

DnB_racing
01-29-2011, 09:58 AM
or you could do what Airmobile101 does!!! He uses emergency lite batteries and they both fit in the original box on the sub frame,

the only thing I do recomend is to make sue you use the same size battery,
it would be best to get two new at the same time!!!! the stronger battery will draw down the weaker and kill it!!

shift thats just a custom box welded to the sub and two stock size batts

hondatrxrider07
01-29-2011, 10:40 AM
i think im gonna stick with the 300ex battery box. how should i mount it to the frame? i cant have it falling off in a race or something..

DnB_racing
01-29-2011, 12:48 PM
the way I was looking at it one piece of flat stock long enough to span the top of the two sub frame supports right in back of air box,and one piece of angle for the bottom long enough to span, you minghtl have to notch the end to clear the sub frame on the ends, and mount the box to the angle, and bolt the two pieces together as a clamp on the frame and use the rear fender to hide it from the back, if that makes any sensei

or find a box on ebay with side supports to clamp to each side of the sub frame, i was also looking at kawi street bike batt box

hondatrxrider07
01-29-2011, 05:16 PM
i found this one on ebay....i was going to cut out that tool spot and find a way to bolt this around my frame.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Go-Kart-Mini-Bike-Chopper-Steel-Battery-Box-NR-/320313139206?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4a9426a006

Dave400ex
01-30-2011, 11:18 AM
I like having it under the hood better. I don't like the idea of putting more weight on the subframe and if the subframe breaks you have a big mess. lol

hondatrxrider07
01-30-2011, 11:47 AM
yeahh, but the way i have it wired now i have about 6in. or wire and thats it. instead of like 3 feet of wire.

airmobile101
02-03-2011, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
or you could do what Airmobile101 does!!! He uses emergency lite batteries and they both fit in the original box on the sub frame,

the only thing I do recomend is to make sue you use the same size battery,
it would be best to get two new at the same time!!!! the stronger battery will draw down the weaker and kill it!!

shift thats just a custom box welded to the sub and two stock size batts
Yea.... I have since upgraded to 450r batteries again. But they are the AGM sealed batteries. Dont get me wrong, I had no issues with the alarm batteries,but I had issues with the spade connectors. lol I currently run one at the stock location and one under the hood. I look at it like this........ Any route you take is gonna be better than just a single battery:D