PDA

View Full Version : making trails

exrider123
02-13-2003, 05:20 PM
How does everyone make there trails and wat kinda equipment do you use to clear the trails.

02-13-2003, 05:31 PM
cut the tree`s out with a chain saw clear it out and hammer it.

H0nDo
02-13-2003, 06:27 PM
i jus kinda use my quad as a bulldozer and use a chainsaw to cut down any trees i cant go around.....then ill just keep running over the same spot untill its all clear

02Edge/400ex
02-13-2003, 06:58 PM
Hey exrider123, if you ever clear out some new trails or wanna ride over this way let me know, you can hook up with me and my buddies for some riding over here in Danbury.

toby400ex
02-13-2003, 07:22 PM
i use a saw and mashetti, and then i run over everything a few times, then my trails get shut down and all my time is wasted
:o

luvmyex
02-13-2003, 08:53 PM
chainsaw and some clippers for the small stuff.

"BLAHH"300!!
02-13-2003, 10:39 PM
i just run through the tree's in a random fashion tryin' not to hit anything, when i find a way from point A-B without stopping, i turn around, cruise about half throttle third, turn the handy bars left to right to disturb the leaves, and slide my back end around corners......sometime you do need the macheti (sp)
....then turn around and do it again...

i do that again every-once in a while to keep the path cleared out.
when i really want to make it a main path and/or i'm just bored,
i'll drag a 2x4 around behind me...(cut to the width of your bike or wider, drill a hole in each end for a rope)
stoppin' to clear it off from time to time...2 works better than just one (duh)
...best way i've found, and you don't have to bother with getting off and doin' manual labor, plus no snakes.....

also helps alot, if you make your trails during the winter....most of the small shrub type bushes won't have any leaves on them, and all the other stuff is pretty weak and easy to break.

then it's open season....go fast, and really spin through the corners, and you've got a f-in' interstate through there....
....lots of wheel spin...
once it's all dirt it's pretty easy to see, and keep clean
then go buy some ribbon, and wrap the tree's in "danger" areas'
sharp turns...

be sure and leave a few obsticals, in there. rotten logs, creeks, hills, dips, jumps, sharp "S" turns, and streight-aways. but not so many that it makes ridin' it a pain in the "seatcover"
a turn on side of a hill is alot of fun.

i have 2 acre's of semi-clear woods (nicely spaced tree's) behind my house. l last summer me and a freind made one nice streight fat loop around the outside of it all. a nice "road". then in the middle we had all the s-turns and obsticals. made it challenging, and fun. and it was fun making it.

we started riding again this summer, and decided to go and buy a couple truck loads of dirt to bring in. for burmed turns, and a few jumps. plus we can fill in a few washes in the main "road"
....a personal mx track...

some day's you wanna ride, some days you just wanna get outa the house......we did both.

sorry for ranting......i'm bored..maybe i should go drag around a 2x4 or something...

Stevie-D
02-14-2003, 07:05 AM
lol...i did it the hick way...
my brother (16) is a very avid hunter, and sometimes i'll go with him.. so i know where every deer trail is in the 20 something acres of woods we have. all i do is ride on the deer trails! most of the brush is already knocked down, so i had to trim very little of it.
i did swerve off of the trails in spots to make it a little more fun.

Woodsrider
02-14-2003, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by exrider123
How does everyone make there trails and wat kinda equipment do you use to clear the trails.

A fourstroke Honda weed eater, with a brush blade on it. A rake and a pitchfork. And half a dozen riders. Oh, and a few 18packs of Icehouse:D

exrider123
02-14-2003, 01:47 PM
hey 02Edge/400ex where in danbury do you live and do you ride on the tracks.

jja125
02-14-2003, 02:51 PM
word of caution...............

if you use a machette make sure it has a lanyard on it. i had one slip out of my hands while clearing a new trail in the rain and it spun around in front of me in slow motion and stuck just below my knee - right above my boot. by the time i rode about a mile back to the house i had a good half-bootfull of blood.

CHAUNCY
02-14-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by jja125
word of caution...............

if you use a machette make sure it has a lanyard on it. i had one slip out of my hands while clearing a new trail in the rain and it spun around in front of me in slow motion and stuck just below my knee - right above my boot. by the time i rode about a mile back to the house i had a good half-bootfull of blood.

ouch

Rip_Tear
02-14-2003, 04:13 PM
Well, my trails were the old highway.... We bought this property and it had all the old roads on it that used to be used back in the 60's... they were just gravel, but they are real nice trails, until we logged the property... To make trails I use the skidsteer and a chain saw, I hate stumps!

Derek
02-14-2003, 10:06 PM
best way is to take a chain saw. Cut your trees outta the way. Make it pretty wide. Get a ultility quad hook up a piece of fence to it and drag it behind it. Then build some obsticals on the trail like mud holes, whoops, and mayeb some jumps.

250x#93
02-17-2003, 11:05 AM
I love makin trails and climbs, I use a chainsaw,brush hog,tree trimmers, and a quad to break the trail in well :D