PDA

View Full Version : Plowing Snow

jesseweaver
01-26-2011, 07:43 AM
who else plows snow? i was up at 5 this morning working now im on my way to go plow. we've been getting all these little storms but its such a pain in the ***. this will probably turn out to be a 30 hour work day again.

but at least it pays good :ermm:

blaster99
01-26-2011, 08:11 AM
I have about 30 driveways. Its rough going from work to school to plowing snow. I'm in a 79 ford bronco with a 20 year old plow... it makes for a cold and miserable 8 hours or so. I just keep reminding myself why I do it. Racing.

CJM
01-26-2011, 09:47 AM
Was doing it, but back in school now so I cant.

I dont mind drive any truck, just want heat and a good working plow.

kfx400rider03
01-26-2011, 10:37 AM
im waiting for my boss to call me now to go out and plow. i personally think it sucks. and i hate the cold:mad:
but again the pay is really good

Lasher
01-26-2011, 12:53 PM
Before getting into computers, I plowed snow for a few years. Loved it.

So tempted to get a plow for my truck, but my job is not flexiable for going to do some one's driveway.

chucked
01-26-2011, 01:04 PM
I load salt trucks for the state. It sucks because I end up losing A LOT of hours, and considering my work is making bank off me, it pisses me off. For instance, I didn't work my normal shift today, and I wont work tomorrow, so that's 18 hours missed, Ill work tonight for 12 hours, so I'm out 6 hours, and have a screwed up sleeping schedule for a few days....

jesseweaver
01-26-2011, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Was doing it, but back in school now so I cant.

I dont mind drive any truck, just want heat and a good working plow.

hell i did it in school. go to school from 6-2 work from 2-6 then shovel from 6 till 6am then go back to school and work till 6 then you get to sleep lol

this kinda sucks here we shoveled for like 6 hours now it stopped so we're going home to sleep a little then go again around 7 and shovel all night. we do big shopping malls

CJM
01-26-2011, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by jesseweaver
hell i did it in school. go to school from 6-2 work from 2-6 then shovel from 6 till 6am then go back to school and work till 6 then you get to sleep lol

this kinda sucks here we shoveled for like 6 hours now it stopped so we're going home to sleep a little then go again around 7 and shovel all night. we do big shopping malls

My school sked (college) is very odd hours, I cant even find a job that will hire me cause of it :(

derekhonda
01-26-2011, 04:07 PM
Atleast you got a cab! Open isnt too much fun, but atleast driving it is!

atvracer190
01-26-2011, 05:55 PM
i work for the DOT in north carolina, so i do it a good bit! but luckly ive got me a brand new international single axel dumptruck with a good heater and brand new plow on it, i love it! nothing like bombing a mailbox going about 35 with a good wet snow and seeing it fly 20 feet or so

PottersRacing22
01-26-2011, 07:32 PM
i love fl. 75 out today nice sunny perfect to ride in ! ;)

rpfeifer11
01-26-2011, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by atvracer190
i work for the DOT in north carolina, so i do it a good bit! but luckly ive got me a brand new international single axel dumptruck with a good heater and brand new plow on it, i love it! nothing like bombing a mailbox going about 35 with a good wet snow and seeing it fly 20 feet or so

Must be nice

jesshamner
01-26-2011, 08:07 PM
I don't run the plow but I run the tracking system for our city trucks and update the online map for snow routes. Its not nearly as exciting as being out on the roads but it pays alright. I have had 10 hours of sleep since Sunday. At 11pm, I will have been up for 24 hours straight.

250x_kyle
01-26-2011, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by PottersRacing22
i love fl. 75 out today nice sunny perfect to ride in ! ;)

atleast our states dont go into a state of emergency with a dusting of snow lol ;). did a little plowing this past week but schools taking up most of my time.

jesseweaver
01-27-2011, 08:49 AM
well about 24 hours later im finished, now im heading into work to finish up a garage we're building for the next 7 hours. so thats gonna be 34 hours of work and 2 hours of sleep in the last 36 hours. haha all i think about is buying a house the whole time, it makes it a lot easier

jesshamner
01-27-2011, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by 250x_kyle
atleast our states dont go into a state of emergency with a dusting of snow lol ;). did a little plowing this past week but schools taking up most of my time.

That would be Kentucky. It's unreal how people overreact about something that occurs multiple times every year.

I worked at Kroger when I was in college and I was amazed at how people freaked out. If the weathermen were predicting snow (regardless of the amount), you could guarantee that the bread and milk shelves would be empty. In Louisville, the same thing happens, but they take it a step further and give people uninterrupted news coverage of the snow storm which accumulates to 2 inches of snow. They tell people to stay home and off the roads, but they won't even give them their favorite tv shows to pass the time.

kfx400rider03
01-27-2011, 10:04 AM
anybody ever notice 2 days before a snow storm all food stores are PACKED. its like people think they live in up state new york or something lol. they act like the snow wont be cleared for the next 2 weeks. i live in north west jersey and see it all the time

jesshamner
01-27-2011, 12:31 PM
So people do it in other places?

CJM
01-27-2011, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by jesshamner
So people do it in other places?

Sure, I used to work at a foodstore in the deli and lemme tell you what-if they said it was gonna rain bad they would empty the shelves and buy enough cold cuts for a year.

I laugh at these idiots. Its snow, its not a big deal that you miss a day of work or go without bread, milk or lunchmeat for a day or two.

I also HATE people that decide to go out and despite there only being a dusting of snow or a decently plowed road they go 25mph or less and they usually drive downt he center of both lanes if its a 4 lane road!. I honk and flash them till they either move or I just pass them anyways. Im sorry but unless you have a 4wd or have an idea how to drive in the snow stay the F home. I can do mph rather easy with my truck..sorry if you cant in your stupid civic with bald tires.

Thumpin440ex
01-27-2011, 11:22 PM
I didn't plow last night, but last year I made about 10k just through out the winter.. That was working at my leisure.. It's nice when you got contacts :D

John

CJM
01-27-2011, 11:44 PM
Contracts are good.

Whats bad is when the plow truck breaks down. Buddy of mine has a dodge ram (yes I know poor choice for a plow truck) and we just got the trans fixed. Now the plow seems to have air in the lines (least of the worries today), the cat seems clogged-truck wont do over 15mph, and to top it off one of the tie rods went bad today making it nearly impossible to steer.

I helped them with my truck and we used snowblowers. Meh it worked, but I prefer to help when they plow and I do minimal work witht he snow blowers.

Had I a plow I woulda been out today. we got a foot.