PDA

View Full Version : Might pick up an R

BoneStockHonda
01-25-2011, 05:54 PM
I've wanted a 250r for the longest time and may have found an opportunity to get one but i have a few questions.

Don't know to many details except the quad was mx raced until the guy blew it up, he never put it back together and wants to get rid of it. It was bored to a 310 at the time it blew it so my main concern is getting it running again. I was told by a friend that 310 is the biggest you can go on a stock jug so will i need a different jug to get it running again?

ridgeracer
01-26-2011, 09:34 AM
Also how reliable are the bores when it comes to the R? Are any of them quite as reliable and long lasting as the stock 250cc?

Dustin_Drews
01-26-2011, 12:01 PM
A 250r with a 310 kit in it starts off at a 295 but the 4th oversize it ends up a 310.

I would be more concerned with the cases and shifter parts...
you can buy aftermarket cylinders or get yours resleeved pretty easy!

BoneStockHonda
01-26-2011, 03:36 PM
I was told everything was fine except the top end so i'm going to assume the cases are fine. How hard would it be to find parts to put back to stock or close to it (stock bore and stroke)? My main concern with a built motor is having to run race gas. At what compression will i need to start running race fuel?

Dustin_Drews
01-26-2011, 04:15 PM
Pretty easy to put back to stock but I would have it bored to fix the topend and have your cylinder head opened up so you can run pumpgas!
God Bless,
Dustin

BoneStockHonda
01-28-2011, 03:41 PM
so if the cylinder on it hasnt been touched and it has a 310 kit I can get 4 more bores on it before i need a new jug?

Grande Huevos
01-31-2011, 03:01 PM
the 310 cylinder has 4 oversizes and looks different from factory and should have interchangable domes inside the head, this is where u can change ur compression by changing to a diff size cc dome. if its a stock 265 cylinder punched out then it would depend if it has after market head also or if the stock head has been milled down. Now as far as getting a new cylinder this is not necassary most of the time rather its stock or aftermarket because there is a piece of metal inside ur cylinder called a sleeve this is what they actually bore when getting a new piston so worst case u will have to get ur old sleeve punched out and a new one put in and bored and hoened to match the piston size that u r going to. rates depend on where u go. i would say it will prob cost around $200 or $300??? i put a new piston in my ct pro x 310 cylinder and the piston kit was $150 not sure on the resleeving since i have not had to do it yet. anyways i hope this helps. and if everything els checks out on the bike and its priced rigth i highly recomend getting it u will love it theyy r great bikes!!!!!!

BoneStockHonda
02-01-2011, 03:19 PM
alright so here's the deal i emailed the guy and this is what he said:

"it needs major motor work it's a 310r lonestar swingarm a arms all done up but the piston burnt a huge hole in the cylinder wall it would need to be sleeved and the bottom was on it's way out "

I'm going to assume it was on the first bore because he said it will just need to be sleeved. What am i looking at price-wise for a top and bottom end rebuild? How much do you think it's worth assuming everything else is in good condition?

Grande Huevos
02-02-2011, 04:59 PM
depends how exstensive u want to get. a new crank is about $250 and since u have to split the case u might as well replace all the other bearings. on ebay u can find every bearing and seal and gasket for $150 The top end like before depends on if u need a cylinder or just resleved w piston kit if u want a port job??? $150 for piston kit and i would guess an additional$100-150 for the resleeving process?? I think $700-800 would be a resonable ballpark

BoneStockHonda
02-04-2011, 07:58 PM
I'm thinking i can get the quad for about $800-1000 so depending on the condition i sounds like a pretty good deal to me