PDA

View Full Version : trevorton area

pedalspinner
01-25-2011, 05:51 PM
looking for someone knowledgable to maybe give me a tour of the place. I have been there twice, parked up on the hill Southeast of the main coal hill, and rode with an entry level rider, (so we stayed real close and did not do as much). I raced years ago and just want to go out and have some fun trail riding, hill climbing, etc. Is there any locals that I might be able to join along with you or your group on a Saturday later this spring (if not sooner). current ride is a yz450f. I no longer "hammer". Just have a good time. (anyone4mx@yahoo.com)

punk rock kiel
04-13-2011, 08:21 PM
im amazed no one else has posted about trevorton. people come from NJ, DE, MD, and who knows where else just to ride the coal hills.
main tip is to stay between the mtn's and you will be able to find your way back to a main trail.
we've been up 3 times already this year and got a bachelor party going down in may.

OldGuyonaQuad
04-13-2011, 08:51 PM
Thank you for posting this. We picked up a couple of riders on 95 Sunday and they followed us to Millville. One of the guys that went mentioned this place but I couldn't get the spelling close enough to find it on google. Gonna pick up a dust mask before hand though. ;)

Crazy lil punk
04-13-2011, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by OldGuyonaQuad
Thank you for posting this. We picked up a couple of riders on 95 Sunday and they followed us to Millville. One of the guys that went mentioned this place but I couldn't get the spelling close enough to find it on google. Gonna pick up a dust mask before hand though. ;)

Lol you met people while riding on 95? I have been seeing alot of your post lately, you seem like an interesting *** dude, i hope I meet up with you riding somewhere someday haha

punk rock kiel
04-13-2011, 09:14 PM
some of the places you park, there might be someone asking if you have passes, but some other places are county land and they cant hassle ya about passes. just gotta know where to park.
holiday weekends it gets packed.

i dont know my way around, i just know landmarks and havent gotten lost yet.

CJM
04-13-2011, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by punk rock kiel
im amazed no one else has posted about trevorton. people come from NJ, DE, MD, and who knows where else just to ride the coal hills.
main tip is to stay between the mtn's and you will be able to find your way back to a main trail.
we've been up 3 times already this year and got a bachelor party going down in may.

Im looking to go, but its sooo far away for me over 3 hours... With gas prices the way they are, unless everyone chips in-Im not going. 180+ miles means a whole tank of gas at $70 bucks.

OldGuyonaQuad
04-14-2011, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Crazy lil punk
Lol you met people while riding on 95? I have been seeing alot of your post lately, you seem like an interesting *** dude, i hope I meet up with you riding somewhere someday haha

THanks buddy I hope to meet up wiith you as well. I have an 08 400EX with a Helix Cross front fender (see avatar) driving a 2005 maroon (my firends say it's purple)Dodge Ram 1500 crew cab.

Yea coming back from being shut out in the Poconos we passed a guy towing two quads so we figured we would ask where they were riding and we told them where we were going and they decided to follow us. See that's one of the really cool things about this sport, the comradery and good will towards other riders.

Originally posted by CJMIm looking to go, but its sooo far away for me over 3 hours... With gas prices the way they are, unless everyone chips in-Im not going. 180+ miles means a whole tank of gas at $70 bucks.

Yea but that's still cheaper then a tresspassing ticket

I am thinking about making this trip a week from Saturday 4/22/11 probably leave our house 6am if we dont get a room on Friday (probably won't) if we do go and we have room for another quad on the trailer you are more then welcome to ride along. I live in Bellmawr, NJ (not Belmar) we are 10 minutes from south Philly to give you an idea of where we are.

CJM
04-14-2011, 06:54 PM
Usually Id try and carpool with people to save gas. I lost my job awhile back and have been living off savings and commuting 250 miles a week (total between back and forth) to school-its coming to an end tho so hopefully I can find a job. Thankfully riding due to the carpool only costs me a few bucks between gas for the truck and gas for the quad

Im spoiled my spot is about 15-20 mins by car :)

Bellmawr is about an hour south of me, Im in Freehold on the border of Jackson-10 mins from great adventure.

OldGuyonaQuad
04-14-2011, 08:05 PM
Sorry to hear bout the lay off, hope things look up in your future. I think I know where you are talking about riding near you. Heard you need paddles to climb the hills.

If you get a group to go to Trevorton, let me know and we will hook up. I have a few places that are within 1/2 hr from here but I am giving up on looking over my shoulder. I just paid my $74 ticket yesterday and from what I hear it could have been a lot worse. I'll just have to make the trip every 2 or 3 weeks.

G/L with school I am counting on you and lil punk to one day pay for my social security ;)

CJM
04-14-2011, 08:45 PM
Heheh Yea, I havent been able to find a job since I went back to college this spring-horrible schedule really. Didnt want to go back (already had an AA) but without a BS/BA you cant get very far these days.

The place I go to paddles help but arent needed-the sand is mostly packed and hardly anyone runs paddles.

punk rock kiel
04-14-2011, 08:48 PM
me and some friends are heading up to trevorton on the 30th to ride, weather permitting. some rain is ok (keeps the dust down) but alot of rain means dodging puddles all day but we also dont mind that either.
hit me up if anyone can make it and ill give ya directions to an easy free parking spot and some what of a tour around.

OldGuyonaQuad
04-15-2011, 10:51 AM
me and some friends are heading up to trevorton on the 30th to ride, weather permitting. some rain is ok (keeps the dust down) but alot of rain means dodging puddles all day but we also dont mind that either.
hit me up if anyone can make it and ill give ya directions to an easy free parking spot and some what of a tour around.

I was going to set something up for the 23rd but the 30th might work better as it turns out. We were supposed to open our trailer this weekend outside of Sea Isle but I am going to move it to next Saturday the 23rd due to rain tomorrow. I don't feel like raking wet leaves in the rain.

Plus I need to get up to Pottsville (or is it Pottstown? oh well as long as it has pot in it ;) ) and get registered during the week. It's $125 for the season now and you have to register M-F 8-4. I will check back next week and let you know if we are heading up, thanks for the offer of the free tour...much obliged.

punk rock kiel
04-15-2011, 03:34 PM
the whole "getting registered" thing is a huge gray area. some spots you park are county, some are reading anthrocite (like hell i spelled that right). you dont need to pay to park on county land tho......as for riding and someone stopping to see if you have a permit, HIGHLY unlikely.
for the last 6 years, my friends never got one. i wont be getting one since we got a good camp site/parking area in county land. locals informed us about where to park.

punk rock kiel
04-17-2011, 06:10 AM
looks like we are going on the 1st now. people cant read a calendar and we got a car show on the 30th. its local or else we wouldnt go.

OldGuyonaQuad
04-17-2011, 08:14 AM
Thanks for letting me know keil. We definitely want to check this place out and having someone who knows there area for our first ride there would be helpful.

I checked out some of the hills on youtube last night and shat my riding pants just watching. I might try some medium hills (unless I grab some new holeshots or paddles) but I like blazing trails. I will shoot you a pm with my cell # in the next week or two so we can hook up. thanks again bro.

punk rock kiel
04-17-2011, 08:52 AM
Let me know. Stock 450r's have climbed some of the steepest hills, paddles aren't needed. Plus we don't park at the bottom of the hills, so riding over on paddles will kill ya.

OldGuyonaQuad
04-21-2011, 03:00 PM
Let me know. Stock 450r's have climbed some of the steepest hills, paddles aren't needed. Plus we don't park at the bottom of the hills, so riding over on paddles will kill ya.

yea I think I am getting some HD hole shots.

Weather report isn't looking too promising with rain 9 out of the next 10 days forcasted :(

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USPA1658?role=

punk rock kiel
04-21-2011, 04:21 PM
No it isn't looking very good but we got about 10 people so far that said they would go and one dune buggy that going to test everything out to make sure he's good to go for the bachelor party weekend we got 2 weeks after.

OldGuyonaQuad
04-21-2011, 04:53 PM
Sounds like you guys are all in regardless, I will follow up next week and let you know if we can make it or not.

OldGuyonaQuad
04-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Hey kiel,
weather report is getting better and I am going through trail withdraw so at this point it's looking like a go for us. I will pm you my contact info

thanks again

04-25-2011, 08:18 PM
hey whats up guys we make the 2 hr trip down that way all the time but we usually go to minersville area. free parking/no passes and no one checking that i've seen.just gotta know where to go. i have a small die hard group thats always ready to go. i just met a dude on craigs list (selling some old parts) who drove 2 hours in a snow storm for some parts. he's from trevorton and we're gonna link up since he's local and swap spots show each other around our respective areas down there. Of course the more the merrier and with us just saying the word mine will net u 25 push ups. We're really lucky up here we have some non registered rails to trails systems along with active main lines then tons i mean TONS of trails where we can ride all day pull ur quad right up to the pump and bar hop to atleast 5 different pubs style. Let me know if anyones interested its exit 223 off I 81 north. We wanna do a minersville trip this weekend.

OldGuyonaQuad
04-28-2011, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by PAxcThumper
hey whats up guys we make the 2 hr trip down that way all the time but we usually go to minersville area. free parking/no passes and no one checking that i've seen.just gotta know where to go. i have a small die hard group thats always ready to go. i just met a dude on craigs list (selling some old parts) who drove 2 hours in a snow storm for some parts. he's from trevorton and we're gonna link up since he's local and swap spots show each other around our respective areas down there. Of course the more the merrier and with us just saying the word mine will net u 25 push ups. We're really lucky up here we have some non registered rails to trails systems along with active main lines then tons i mean TONS of trails where we can ride all day pull ur quad right up to the pump and bar hop to atleast 5 different pubs style. Let me know if anyones interested its exit 223 off I 81 north. We wanna do a minersville trip this weekend.

Hey PAxc I am meeting up with Keil on Sunday in Trevorton, if you want to hook up, pm me your cell # and I will give you a call. If we don't hook up this weekend maybe we can try again later in May as Minersville is an hour closer to my house then Trevorton and we are always up for metting new riders and checking out new places to ride. The more the merrier is my motto as well , if we don't hook up here's to a happy and safe weekend of riding

04-29-2011, 01:23 AM
10-4 i'll know more as the day rolls on and ill get back with u as soon as i find out who's in out dead or alive and what's going to be a reasonable plan on my end.like u said if not this weekend we'll put it together soon.we're unfortunately being plagued with mechanical issues as the weekend draws closer and as u know its not the kinda place you want to be second guessing your equipment.looking forward to it though man and u guys stay safe as well.pm sent

mandmburke
04-29-2011, 08:00 AM
Hey There,
I was going to head to Trevorton tomorrow with my 9 year old. I have not ridden in Minersville yet, and I see it is a bit closer as I am coming from the Philly burbs. Are you still going? Can we meet up? If not can you give me some directions so I can know where to park and ride?
Thanks,
Michael
ps, I'll pm you as well

punk rock kiel
04-29-2011, 08:13 AM
If he doesn't go to minersville tomorrow, we are going up late to trevorton to camp out and ride on sunday. PM me if you wanna go or meet up. We got a large group going.

OldGuyonaQuad
04-29-2011, 10:14 AM
hey Keil, my brother and I are still heading up to Trevorton Sunday, we will check out Minersville another time. There is even an outside chance we might grab a tent and head up tomorrow night and camp out as well, if that's not imposing on you and your group. I will call you tomorrow afternoon if we are coming up otherwise I will call you Sunday morning as planned when we are an hour out and then again once we turn onto 2044.

punk rock kiel
04-29-2011, 11:00 AM
No ones imposing at all. Right now its just me and a friend going up. The 3rd might need picked up as we will drop me and the gear off and he will go get him.
If you came, we can take ya for an early tour kinda. We are bound to find people sat night to hangout and drink a few with.

OldGuyonaQuad
04-29-2011, 11:06 AM
cool bro, just wanted to make sure I didn't over stay my welcome. I will call you tomorrow or Sunday morning depending on when we plan to come up. If we come up tomorrow I will call you by 4pm otherwise Sunday morning on our way up.

punk rock kiel
04-29-2011, 11:14 AM
You got my number. Ill be around all day. Going to split some firewood to take up so we got light at night.

mandmburke
04-29-2011, 06:53 PM
Kiel,
Thanks for the invite, but we're gonna head up Sat am, and then be heading back around or after dinner time. Maybe next time I'll plan on camping out and get together with you guys.
Peace,
Michael

fuel583
05-25-2011, 09:06 AM
Hey, did you guys all ever meet up? I would definitely be down for a ride next time anyone heads over there. Haven't been out there yet but I've been trying for a long time now just can't find anyone to ride with.

fuel583
05-25-2011, 09:11 AM
some of the places you park, there might be someone asking if you have passes, but some other places are county land and they cant hassle ya about passes. just gotta know where to park.
holiday weekends it gets packed.

i dont know my way around, i just know landmarks and havent gotten lost yet.

What are the passes you're referring to? Is it necessary?

mandmburke
05-25-2011, 09:25 AM
I did go to Minersville and then on to Trevorton that day with my son, met some nice people who showed us around the Minersville area. The passes that are referred to are the RAC pases, check out the website listed below.
http://www.readinganthracite.com/access-permits/
They don't check in the Minersville or Trevorton area that I know of, but do heavily patrol the St. Clair area.

OldGuyonaQuad
05-25-2011, 03:56 PM
Yea bro I went and met up with Keil and he and his friends were nice enough to show us around. We went back up again last weekend. The permit wouldn't be an issue for me but you have to take a day off form work to get one because you have to apply in person M-F 8-4. I will get one in July when I am on vaca.

The way it was explained to me is you need to park on county property. Rarely does anyone get asked for paper work on the trails. If you park on RAC's parking lots and don't display a permit in your windshield they will tow your vehicle. Also if you want to go into town to gas up or grab some food you could get pulled over by statey's, in which case you would need Registration, insurance and RAC permit. We did see a trooper last weekend when we were coming from the coal hills and heading back to our camp site but he didn't bother us.

I will be heading back up there later in June as I am shut down now until after we get back from our Hatfield / McCoy trip.

If you are intrested let me know and I will Pm you the info.

punk rock kiel
05-25-2011, 04:04 PM
Me and my friends are heading up this weekend to camp out again. Friday looks like rain so I'm gonna wait til saturday morning to leave. I passed along my number again so he can get ahold of me.
We don't care if you drink or smoke or do whatever around us so be warned we do drink and do dumb stuff at times.

OldGuyonaQuad
05-26-2011, 11:29 AM
Me and my friends are heading up this weekend to camp out again. Friday looks like rain so I'm gonna wait til saturday morning to leave. I passed along my number again so he can get ahold of me.
We don't care if you drink or smoke or do whatever around us so be warned we do drink and do dumb stuff at times.

dood you guys are tame compared to the wild group we hooked up with last weekend. Crazy Bill threw a potato at my back pack, I told him liquor or not he did that again I would have to kick his big ***. Guy has a forhead the size of Deleware so hopefully he doesn't do it again ;)

Hey Keil I have a video of us invading your camp site, I will post it tonight, sorry I thought one of our guys drove back there looking for you so I followed him.

You and your friends are all incredibly nice and extreamly cool, would love to hook up with you boys & gals again.

so how was the wedding? Did you save me a peice of cake?

punk rock kiel
05-29-2011, 12:21 PM
past weekend was cool. didnt see ONE reading anthracite person checking passes or anything. the cop drives around and everyone scatters but we knew him and 2 of us had passes but he didnt even ask to see um...
as for my weekend...quad wouldnt run after sat morning breakfast, borrowed a honda 250r to ride and rolled than into a wash out i didnt see and then burned my leg on the exhaust cause i wore shorts on sunday morning going to breakfast cause i knew i was going home when i got back.
i didnt eat any cake at the wedding, i drank too much and left early.

jimmyjames72
06-06-2011, 11:44 AM
dude i would love to hook up with some peole and ride up that way. let me know please. need someone to show me where to park so i dont get towed. im from the lehigh valley area.:D

punk rock kiel
06-06-2011, 12:27 PM
I have gotten an email from someone else looking to go ride also. I'm debating but might be heading up this weekend again. The person who emailed me wants to go around july 23rd or 24th

OldGuyonaQuad
06-06-2011, 08:57 PM
I have gotten an email from someone else looking to go ride also. I'm debating but might be heading up this weekend again. The person who emailed me wants to go around july 23rd or 24th

July or did you mean June? Hhm might do both

punk rock kiel
06-06-2011, 09:04 PM
july....june 22-26th, ill be at hatfield mccoy trails.

but i might not make the july 23-24th cause a friend is tossing a big party down this way.

jimmyjames72
06-06-2011, 09:23 PM
yeah yeah man please keep me posted id love to link up to ride

OldGuyonaQuad
06-07-2011, 04:29 PM
july....june 22-26th, ill be at hatfield mccoy trails.

but i might not make the july 23-24th cause a friend is tossing a big party down this way.

We're packing up tomorrow for H/Mc. Which trail are you going to? We are hitting Rock House and Bear Wallow.

Mastroz
06-08-2011, 10:04 PM
I'd like to look around on the RAC area also. I'm up for going there and everything, whos going up the 11th of june?

moonman
07-07-2011, 08:19 PM
http://m.newsitem.com/news/coal-hill-atv-issues-continue-1.1164210

punk rock kiel
07-08-2011, 06:40 AM
i felt like i wasted part of my life reading that but i will inform my friends. only 2 out of 20 of us have permits and im one of them, so im clear. plus i have spoken to police chief john cause its been the same cop we have seen twice now.....hes cool as ****, we said we dont climb the hills.

they could solve alot by taking a bull dozer to the top of the hills and taking them down in size real quick and making the climbs not as big which means less dust. reading anthracite has gotten over 160k for passes, thats why they dont patrol...cause they dont give a ****.

with that said, im off to trevorton to camp for the weekend. gonna drink like a fish and have fun.

OldGuyonaQuad
07-09-2011, 05:06 PM
I'm trying to get someone to ride up there with me tomorrow, hope to see you Keil.

punk rock kiel
07-10-2011, 07:29 PM
i rode to breakfast sunday morning and back to camp....if i rode any further, it was to the new pond/lake/cliff jump to go swimming all day cause it was stupid hot and dusty.

im beat.