PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running a rev limiter?

atvmx_freak08
01-25-2011, 01:16 PM
Just picked up a 400ex, has full HMF exhaust, fresh air filter, and jetted for the exhaust. Thinking about picking up a rev limiter, anyone have good or bad comments on them? Found a few cheap-o's on ebay, are they worth it? I ride trails a lot.

Longdong
01-25-2011, 01:36 PM
They are a waste of money! Imo

crownandmonster
01-25-2011, 04:14 PM
Are you referring to an aftermarket rev. box (CDI)? or just the limiter itself, because its got a rev limiter in the stock cdi.

CJM
01-25-2011, 04:20 PM
Waste of money, you will not get anything out of it at all. Your money is better set on the suspension or motor

PaRedneckRiders
01-25-2011, 04:44 PM
Ya if your talking about the CDI, its a big waste of money unless your WFO all the time and thats not good for any motor.
The EX makes most of its power in low to mid rmp, so there is no reason to push more than 9k RPM's.

Only reason i run a dynatek CDI is cause i robbed it off one of my old EX's as a spare.

jensenracing77
01-26-2011, 03:35 AM
there are good reasons why it is needed for some people but not often for normal riding and definitely not needed for a stock engine. i have my engine built so that it has most of it's power up high but even then the top power is under but closer to 9000 rpms than most engines. i had to have a higher rev box because if i am coming to a turn and need another gear i can just stay in the gear i am in. it would take longer to shift up and then right back down than it would to just rev it out. if the engine is not built for top end power there is not that much need for it. one place that it helps for a stock engine is if you are into BIG jumps. if you need to panic rev it, it gives you more RPM to help position the bike in the air.