PDA

View Full Version : Help on Rebuild...

300exryder
02-13-2003, 04:13 PM
So I was going down the road and I heard a loud tapping noise, I stopped, put my head down to the cases and heard a sound like metal, loose inside my engine.

I just got a call from the shop; crank threw itself = $1500+ dollars!! He said that it would be around $1500 for new crank, boring the jug, new pistons, gaskets, and labor. (I'm only 15, with $500 in my pocket) I can get a loan from my dad to get this done. (I have a job)

My question to all...What are some good deals for a package that would include everything I need: crank, piston, hardened rockers, gaskets, and everything else needed to get my 300ex up and going?? I would like to bore it out to a 305 or 313; would it still be reliable?

Please answer ASAP... I need to tell teh mechanic what I'm going to do.

TheX1992
02-13-2003, 04:16 PM
www.powroll.com has some decent kits, most of what you want are in the package

TRX_Thumper
02-13-2003, 07:06 PM
you can get a good used decent runnin 300ex motor off ebay for around $400...then sell the good parts off your junk motor and have enough money to instal a higher comp piston an cam...$1500 rebuild is gettin ripped

300exryder
02-14-2003, 07:48 AM
I'm not sure how smart it would be to buy a used motor. I have had some friends that had bad experiences doing that.

I don't think the 300ex is worth $1500 more. Today I shall return a call to a dealer that has a brand new 2002 Yamaha Raptor for sale. I could trade the 300ex in, or, if I feel that I could make more money by parting it out, it will be posted under the For Sale section.

I have never had this much trouble with a Honda before and I have always wanted to own a Raptor. This would be the first time that I have bought something "new". All my previous quads have been pre-owned. I could finance the Raptor so I can afford it on my limited income (I'm 15). I'll have a response sometime Saturday as to what I will be doing.

If anyone has a 300ex motor at a reasonable price, PM me immediately!!

YZROOSTINYA
02-14-2003, 07:59 AM
I would give scott at PROFABATV.com a call

I can prob gauruntee he would be able to rebuild your motor to a 330 or sumpin for the same price. And he will acvtually do it right, some dealers dont really care. soem kick butt but I would Imagine scott will def do a better job.

I am gonna send my head there

Sparks425Ex
02-14-2003, 09:59 AM
Deff give Pro Fab A call but after that and before ya decide on anything.

Call Hetircks. They build some killer engines at good prices..Tell them Justin Stewart sent ya and they will hook ya up...

300exryder
02-15-2003, 03:28 PM
Well, I decided $1500 was too much for a 300ex so I'm moving to bigger and better things -- I just purchased a 2002 Raptor. I have had nothing but problems with Honda and I think I'll go back to Yamaha (Plus, what's better than breezing by my friends with 400exs and then shift into reverse when I get stuck while they are getting their boots soaking wet??)

Let me know if you would like to bu a 300ex with a blown motor, everything else is fine.