PDA

View Full Version : extra rich fuel map = bad injector?

Jim417mx
01-24-2011, 07:01 PM
Hopefully somebody finds time to read this, I cannot figure out this problem for the life of me.

-I recently built my motor .. 13:1 piston, new cylinder, atp ported head with cam and valves, etc , test drove it on stock map on my pc3 to make sure it runs, and it ran fine just needed a tune.

-Had it hooked up to a laptop trying different fuel maps with my pc3, and no fuel maps would work, we had to build our own map with extensive fuel being added to the map, and my map was all positive numbers, (no negative numbers on the map at all, which i thought was a little wierd) With this rich map that we fine-tuned on 100 octane, the quad ran out of gas, all my buddy had was pump gas 87 so i mixed the little bit of 100 in there with 87. The quad started right back up, and we continued to tune it and test rode it.. man did it rip BRAAAAP , nice smooth rpms it felt like it was running perfect, it was late at night and cold.. really cold, so we parked it.

-I come back the next day, fill it up with 100 octane, and put a new iridium cr8eix spark plug in there, as well as a yoshi choke blockoff nut. Upon startup, it ran like ****, no matter what fuel map we try, nothing is close. The first thing I do is put an autolite (they didnt have NGK, I ordered two NGK but they sent cr9eb instead of cr8eb.. go figure, so i left the autolite cr8eb in there. , and it ran a little different but mainly the same. I then drained the gas, and tried pump gas, ran different but still like crap, nothing close to what it was... starting to get stumped at this point

-Next day, I look up the insutrctions for the choke blockoff.. and the choke "plunger" is supose to slide out with the cable. Mine is literally stuck in the throttle body, so that eliminates my probable cause of the choke being stuck on a little bit, because I tried with pliers and this thing is just bending and will not budge.

Next - I pull the throttle body off to double check the plunger, I can see that it doesnt look like the choke is being activated, but I did notice my fuel injector looks a little bit dirty, keep in mind this is a stock 07 injector.

My Guess : MAYBE the quad wouldnt accept the normal maps I found online, on here, and on lt********, because the injector is half clogged? Maybe thats why I had to build an extra rich map? To allow the extra fuel into the injector? This is my guess, but then again this started happening in wierd step by step, as you just read. I have been to hell and back trying to figure this thing out, any help is GREATLY appreciated.

I did not check the compression after the tune, but when the motor was built the compression was good, and the valves were good, as well as the timing.

09RappySe
01-24-2011, 07:33 PM
I had the same problem with the choke plunger, I had to drill it and thread in a screw to get it out, I doubt your injector is the culprit, there is no way it went from running good to bad overnight due to the injector clogging, I don't know what the choke block off is/does but it seems to me that it is the only thing that had changed from the night before, unless the gas you added the next day was bad, gas or the plug change won't do it. as for the extra rich map settings, my guess is your fuel filter is most likely clogged, I had the same issue when I added the athena kit, I thought I needed a larger injector as my map was near 90% and was still lean, come to find out the filter was clogged, when retuned the map settings dropped way down, I hear it is a common thing according to my tuner. I would check your filter first and then maybe the fuel regulator/pump.

don't know if that helps you or not.