PDA

View Full Version : Clutch

BigBore81
12-02-2001, 04:56 PM
ANYBODY WITH A 440 KIT I WAS WONDERING WHAT YOU ARE RUNNING FOR A CLUTCH?

crday98
12-02-2001, 07:18 PM
i have the Barnett Dirt Digger in mine.is your current clutch bad or are you just looking to play it safe?i know they say in the magazines that an aftermarket clutch is mandatory for a modded 400ex but i was fine with the stock one.i got a great deal on the kit so i figured i'd put one in when i took off my side covers to polish them.i really didn't notice a difference but it works so i guess it is good:Da clutch basket is not needed unless you are a clutch freak(fanning it all of the time).if anyone listens to the magazines,they will end up with about $800 in useless clutch mods.i'd stick with the stock one unless or until you have problems.

12-02-2001, 07:25 PM
i have a 426 gruntin out some decent power and i have a barnet kevlar clutch.... but when i replace it i am going back to stock...i am keeping my hinson basket and getting stock plates..my dealer ( Lost Creek Cycles ) says stock plates are the best you can buy.... keep in mind he has some of the fastest quads in the country comin outta his shop.... just my .o2...hope that helps

EX 80
12-02-2001, 07:42 PM
I read in atv sport that barnett clutches as they wear create abrasive material in your engine oil. They sais stock plates don't.

BigBore81
12-02-2001, 08:00 PM
i have stock now the clutch isn't bad just wanted to play it safe

crday98
12-03-2001, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by BigBore81
i have stock now the clutch isn't bad just wanted to play it safe
your best bet is to stick with the stock one.i can give you an email of a guy that can tell you exactally what you should do to your clutch and it is using stock honda parts.i think it involves going with another set of plates +1 fiber & +1 steel and heavier duty springs,possibly from the xr 400.here is his email addy SG1221@hotmail.com . just ask him what clutch mods are needed for a modded 400ex.i know the guy wasted alot of cash in useless mods but found out what was needed only.

oynot400
12-03-2001, 08:19 AM
When I did my engine everyone told me to replace the clutch because it would not hold up with the power increase. So I got a Barnett Kevlar clutch kit. It did not last 20 hours of riding! Barnett did replace it with a Dirt Digger clutch but I have not put it in, I am still waiting for the stock one to wear out. It has been in there for almost a year! :)

Sandragggen
12-04-2001, 12:15 AM
If your clutch is not squalling or slipping drop in some CR500 clutch springs. Clutch lever will be harder to pull.

TrX465
12-04-2001, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by pudjumper
If your clutch is not squalling or slipping drop in some CR500 clutch springs. Clutch lever will be harder to pull.

thats what i did!!!!!! and i switch from stock to dirt digger and i tell you what i pull haulers and everything with the stock clutch it does realllllly good.....