PDA

View Full Version : Time for a head rebuild?

jpfmotors
01-24-2011, 11:52 AM
I just really wanted to know how many times can I reshim my valves befor really needing a head rebuild. I have done numerus valve checks and acually adjusted about 4 times. I know how the valves basicly get pushed in to the head or the valves stretch causing the need for the adjustment but how do you know if its time to rebuild thanks for the info

DnB_racing
01-24-2011, 01:10 PM
what is the size of the shims that your using now??? but I would think if you cant keep them in spec its time to do something!! before you cause any damage to somethind besides just valves

jpfmotors
01-24-2011, 02:13 PM
160 and 230 mm

DnB_racing
01-24-2011, 02:27 PM
those sizes arnt that bad!!! Ive seen worse

have you been using a torque wrench on the tower bolts, dont use a click type unless is a real quality one and goes down to 3, or you could strip the head..

whats happening that you say you need valves?? if its starting good and the only issue is when your checking that you see a difference, then I dont see much problem,

make sure your motor isn't still warm when adjusting or checking, that might change the reading slightly

quad2xtreme
01-24-2011, 06:43 PM
I didn't need to adjust valves for 3.5 years on my 2006 engine. Once I did, I had to do it again a month later. Then it started getting harder to start so I sent it off to have it redone. Too much work for me to do it monthly when I wasn't used to having to do it at all for such a long period of time.

jpfmotors
01-25-2011, 06:21 AM
Dnb I not saying there is something wrong with my valves or the valve seats I know that just over time the valves can stretch and the seats can get mashed in I ve gone throught 2 years of xc racing and practicing and 2 years of ice racing so its a lot of hard time but my quad still runs mint and once in a while it starts to get hard to start thats when I know to adjust the valves and then it fine. I just dont want to wait to long then something bad might happen
hey when you coming down to sturbridge to do some ice racing its a blast

DnB_racing
01-25-2011, 03:03 PM
my truck is in need of much attention!!!!and I dont think it would make the trip without some work!! I wouldnt want to be on the side of the road with my trailer full of quads, and be at the mercy of the nearest tow and repair!!Ill see if I can atleast make the trip to in a buddys car and check it out!!

as far as yor valves , your shim sizes are ok so I wouldnt worry this season, but after tax season and if you get a return, get it done up!!!