PDA

View Full Version : ltr reliability and year selection

jsracing2
01-24-2011, 07:25 AM
Im going to buy another LTR. I know that the 06-07 dont have the tranny problem that the newer models have, but after reading reviews im thinking about the newer ones.
Also tired of buying used quads. I am very meticulous and it seems Like I cant find any used quads to meet my standards. I like the idea of a good deal, but always seem to bite back...

They say the 08-up feel faster, and handle better??? I know there were over 100 changes to the 08. What were the noticable ones?

I know about the ATP billet gear as a solution. What were some of the average complete bills for the fix and how reliable can they be. (heard of them breaking also, is it only breaking with very high hp?)

I only plan on doing a full exhaust, pc5, yosh cam, maybe some port/polish work. No plans for big bore or stroker.

Just looking for more input. Its a heavily debated topic and this is probably the thousandth thread about it but looking for a more in depth anwer than a sales person at suzuki can give...

nkillian9
01-24-2011, 07:40 AM
man i have an o8 with full yosh pipe and cherry bomb bout it i went for suspension b4 motor but ive had mine over a yr put a minimum of 6 hrs a week on it and have had no problems wut so ever just bent wheels 2 sets of tires and a set of chain and sprockets but i do notshift mine full throtte like some ppl do drag racing and i always full engage my clutch betweens shifts im leary of my tranny breaking cause all ive heard but as far as the quad goes i wouldnt want anything else besides upgrades to this machine i bougth mine in december of 09 as an 08 leftover got it for 5 grand even brand new with warranty so that might be a good option for u if u can find a leftover there was an 07 at the same dealer when i got mine for 4700 brand new but i was going for the 100 changes figured it would only be for the better

Jim417mx
01-24-2011, 04:58 PM
You are going to get mixed opinions on this.. some quads last, some blow up in no time... all I can tell you is that alot of my buddys with 06 and 08's have blown their trans.. I have a 07 going on its 3rd year of A class racing, nationally and locally, and the bottom end is STOCK with no problems since I got it.

NED441SUZ
01-28-2011, 06:24 PM
I'm gonna say a late 06 or 07 model is best. They all have trans issues though. I get about 1 to 1 1/2 years out of a transmission. My first bike was one of the first 06's brought over. Got it in Feb 06. It had all the problems. Dealer had to weld lower shock mount, and replace bottom end due to broken shift pin. About mid 07 the trans locked up(3rd gear). So, i bought a 06 that had been ridden 3 or 4 times and it was a much better bike. Trans lasted till the end of 08 and was only making a ticking noise in 3rd. Upon tear down it was only one small chip missing out of 1 tooth on the 3rd drive gear. Replaced the 3rd gear set, and trans lasted till March 2010. This time it locked between gears like the first 06. When it was dissasembled it was a BAD failure of 4th gear. ( took out everything but the head). The bottom end i have now(another late 06) has been running since with no trouble so far.

09RappySe
01-28-2011, 09:38 PM
I'd have to say 07.

bigbad400
01-30-2011, 07:22 AM
stock 07 without a problem yet. baught new in may 08. if i had to guess id say thousands of hours on this thing. i ride to work i ride to friends i ride to ride and i ride for money.... so yea the 07 has proven itself id say. i dont ride nice, i treat it like its gonna last foerever and it aint let me down yet.