PDA

View Full Version : stupid problem...need help/advice

GMC400ex
01-23-2011, 09:22 PM
so i have neglected my four wheeler for sometime now..i know i am ashamed but i recently decided i need to replace the bearings since im pretty sure they are completely shot and just in the rear end rolling around. Anyway it has been awhile since i have replaced the bearings in one and i mean like 2 years so im sorta confused and need some of your alls help so i have neglected my four wheeler and my lost what little knowledge i have on 400ex...
where i stand now..
i have backed the inner lock nut all the way back to the brake rotor and now i cant get the out lock nut to back down any off of the stop ring..i have used wd-40, penetration oil, and even heat! do u all have any tricks i could use? and these are not left-handed threads..correct?? i havent been using the special tools i have been using pipe wrenches and i can go ahead and tell you that i will have to replace the lock nuts haha
any advice will be helpful..thanks in advance..

hocman123
01-23-2011, 09:30 PM
umm thats a hard one i would just keep oiling but try and get something like bp blaster. the outer and the inner nut both turn the same direction to loosen it so what ever way u moved the other inner one do the same to the outter one. i belive if ur behind the bike u should be pulling it to u and down away from the bike

CJM
01-23-2011, 09:42 PM
Try some other lubes, ATF, chain lube, etc. heat it up a bit so the lube will flow in there good. Just keep at it, it will go. Worse case you take grinder or a dremel and cut them off bing careful not to nick the axle.

GMC400ex
01-23-2011, 10:45 PM
ok that helps a lot i just didnt want to be goin the wrong direction but i knew it was stupid question but sometimes stupid things happen..but yeah i am pushing the wrench down and away from the bike so i guess i just need to work at it more..
man ill try that chain oil idea..never really thought bout that..but hopefully i dont get to the point of cutting it off..ill take it to a shop before i do that! haha
thanks guys..any other ideas? more the better! haha

GMC400ex
01-23-2011, 10:46 PM
oh yeah i forgot to mention at a couple points i was spinning the tires from the amount of pressure i was using..so i am def. using enough strength! haha

2001400exrida
01-24-2011, 02:43 PM
from the back of the quad. if you are sitting down facing the axle from the rear, you need to push the wrench down towards the ground to loosen the nut.

hocman123
01-24-2011, 02:50 PM
if the tires are spining u need to put the the engine in gear or but some blocks behind the tires if u have taken the chain off. if the tires are spinning u are just loosing the power that u are applying to the nut threw the axel.

fearlessfred
01-24-2011, 05:32 PM
not to be insulting, but you do know there is a snap ring that the big nut is up against and that you need to turn the big one the same direction as the little jam nut,to expose the snap ring,remove snap ring and then the whole threaded collar and nuts slide off the axle

GMC400ex
01-26-2011, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by fearlessfred
not to be insulting, but you do know there is a snap ring that the big nut is up against and that you need to turn the big one the same direction as the little jam nut,to expose the snap ring,remove snap ring and then the whole threaded collar and nuts slide off the axle

No man you are not insulting... It's enough personal insult that I even posted such a stupid question but I'm getting really annoyed and thought maybe I was doing something wrong haha but anyway yeah I realize there is snap ring there but I can't back the large nut out enough to even get to the snap ring! I have never had this much struggle with a nut...giggity haha but I just wanted to check myself that I am doing the right thing which I am I just haven't had time to fool with it due to work