PDA

View Full Version : My 400ex Setup And Price

cheater13
01-23-2011, 09:05 PM
Hey again everyone. I'm sure you guys are familiar with my story I'm doin because of all my posts I have up on the 400 forum ;P. Anyways, I ride alot of field and a little trails but I'm drag racing 300ft stock class in august and I'm gettin my 400 ready. I called a few guys and I think I finally found the right one with some good pricing. I know the guy because he worked on my cousins 300ex and CRF250R and they rip. He said that he does the little stuff that others don't worry about doing and it makes a difference and he orders everything and looks for the cheapest prices out there. Well here is all what I'm getting done:

Mid Grade Port and Polish - 160 bucks
Stage 2 hotcam
JE High Compression Piston
Honda 450r carb With Adapter
Top End Rebuild
Gold Series Chain
CRF450 Timing Chain
New sprockets
Everything Jetted Together
Fine tuning/any profitable adjustments

I Already Have:
Powerbomb Header
FMF Titanium 4
K@N Powerlid
Outerwears Prefilter

I'm going to try to get whatever I can used so it helps expenses but that's everything I'm getting done with the performance because cosmetics is going to have it's own bill. I'm getting some Dunlop rear tires though later on.

He is doing all this for 800, give or take a few.

What do you guys think?

P.S. If anyone has a good condition stage 2 hot cam pm me.

Thanks everyone!

CJM
01-23-2011, 10:04 PM
Thats pretty cheap, I have roughly 650 into mine with just the engine mods.

ish416
01-23-2011, 11:16 PM
Seems like it will be a strong setup.

Is the carb an 04-05 or newer FCR? FCR will make the most power especially on top end.

If it is just for drag racing I would invest in a light chain and aluminum sprockets. Also the lightest wheels and tires you can find that have good tread. Remove anything that is not needed to save weight.

Most import thing, practice 2nd gear launches.

cheater13
01-24-2011, 04:55 AM
I'm not sure yet if it is a fcr. I'll have to try and look for a newer one. What's the difference between the 450r carbs? And I'll be using the stock rims with Dunlop tires. And Ill be doing drag racing but I'm still going to ride trails and open fields.

And yeah i will have to practice 2nd gear take offs. I'm pretty good at 1st though.

JOHNDOE83
01-24-2011, 08:13 PM
If your trying to do drag racing and you dont want to get disqualified after your second race, then I would not get dunlops and get some real tires for dirt drags.

dunlops are stock 400ex tires.

cheater13
01-24-2011, 08:25 PM
Why? Everyone says they are good and grab descent.
What's some good ones that i could drag with and ride around on?

Dobber
01-24-2011, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
If your trying to do drag racing and you dont want to get disqualified after your second race, then I would not get dunlops and get some real tires for dirt drags.

dunlops are stock 400ex tires.

just wondering..but why would he get disqualified?

And if your talking about getting a set of paddles for the drags, he said he wants a set that will hook decent for the drags, and still be able to ride around on. the dunlops would work well for both of those.

JOHNDOE83
01-24-2011, 08:55 PM
these will bolt right on your ex. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-ATV-QUAD-TRX-ALUM-REAR-RIMS-PRO-WEDGE-TIRES-76P-/380307531509?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item588c1866f5

this is what they look like "More detailed"
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BANSHEE-DRAG-YFZ-RAPTOR-PRO-WEDGE-II-2S-TIRES-WHEELS-/260727153245?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cb48ca25d

these are the same but cheaper as new tires.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-new-maxxis-4-snow-atv-rear-tires-22x10-00-9-honda-/350422155093?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5196c9bf55

you can ride these like any other tire out there, they are a bit taller. youll need 13/39 type gearing.

get paddles if you want to invest a lil more but not ride around on them.

Chukkinsod
01-27-2011, 02:43 PM
Yes I agree....if you dont or cant run a paddle tire, or the ground is hardpack, the Prowedge 2' grab like a MOFO. Enough where some stall out the first several times they holeshot. Its very different out of the hole than regular knobby tire, I would not recommend for much more than drag/snow though.

JOHNDOE83
01-27-2011, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Dobber
just wondering..but why would he get disqualified?

And if your talking about getting a set of paddles for the drags, he said he wants a set that will hook decent for the drags, and still be able to ride around on. the dunlops would work well for both of those.

If you lose 2 races your disqualified, stock tires will deffinetly not be the fastest 400 there.

I told him to get the wedges so he could ride on them like regular tires.

cheater13
01-27-2011, 04:18 PM
Yeah John is right. If i lose 2 times in a row, I'm done. But there was a fully build drag banshee there last year and it had Dunlop tires.

But where would I get the prowedge tires brand new besides eBay?

JOHNDOE83
01-27-2011, 05:01 PM
http://4wheelonline.com/atv/Maxxis_ATV_Tires.104010

Dobber
01-27-2011, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
If you lose 2 races your disqualified, stock tires will deffinetly not be the fastest 400 there.

I told him to get the wedges so he could ride on them like regular tires.

oh..gotcha. we just dont call it being disqualified here lol.

wedges would work better..but i would not use them for normal riding.

believe it or not..the dunlops do hook decent for a knobby tire.

cheater13
01-27-2011, 06:10 PM
Wait, which tire is the prowedge off that website? And why wouldnt you recommend it for regular riding?

Dobber
01-27-2011, 10:03 PM
that site has 4 snows on it..pretty much the same thing, but the pro wedges are a little stiffer.

the walls of the snows, and wedges are very thin, so you could get holes in them easily if your riding on rocky trails. and there going to wear pretty fast under normal riding. there meant for snow..not everyday riding.

cheater13
01-28-2011, 04:54 AM
Oh ok but would they work good in a wet dirt/clay track?

JOHNDOE83
01-28-2011, 03:20 PM
They are thinner tires, which at some point will puncture easier.

My friend uses those zippers on his banshee and he drag races and rides trails with those tires and never had a issue so far.

cheater13
01-28-2011, 05:28 PM
Ok cool. Any other tires work real good for drag racin and Rodin trails and open fields?

Chukkinsod
01-28-2011, 08:28 PM
Another is AMS Zippers ....I have a set on rims in the shop that we have run on several bikes. They work the bst in harder packed tracks and you get the gain from the expansion out of the gate. We found that most 4 strokes run really well with that kind of tire set up. Most drags are won out of the gate, get a good launch...then they have to catch up to you. I have nevr tried to trail these...I think they would have a ton of side roll due to the height of the tire.

cheater13
01-29-2011, 01:33 PM
Oh ok. Well the track is clay if that helps. Any place I could get them zippers brand new?