PDA

View Full Version : XC set ups...whats hot!!!

preddy518
01-23-2011, 05:21 PM
Im looking to set my pred up for xc and just looking for some ideas and tricks for a good set up. please let me know if u have any advise, thanks. my signature has wats done to my quad already.

ccdhowell
01-23-2011, 08:29 PM
From your sig looks like you're covered pretty good, I would add a Precision steering stabilizer and get the best shocks you can afford. Speed in XC racing is mostly suspension and endurance. The Precision will help with the endurance. Soft bars by ATV4Play are a good addition also, really takes the sharp hits out of your wrists. Most XC races are 90 to 120 minutes, gotta be around at the end and fresher than the competition to contend.

preddy518
01-24-2011, 07:30 AM
wats size sprocket should i run and would extended a arms n axel help? n i got fox podium X shocks.

preddy518
01-24-2011, 07:34 AM
and should i duck tape my bumper or frame up in front??? i love fast trail riding but dont really kno much bout xc racing. i kno the basics

ccdhowell
01-24-2011, 10:10 AM
No, I wouldn't go any wider, you're good right where you are. No reason to tape anything up. I'd say go race one just like you are and see where you and your quad stand after that. And if you haven't had your shocks serviced in a while, you might want to get that done. XC racing is hardest on shocks and yours will degrade quickly through the course of the race if they haven't been maintained properly.

preddy518
01-24-2011, 10:18 AM
alright. i dont have any thing protecting my radiator either. all i got for skids is stock plastic ones. and i dont really kno bout my shocks yet, i jus got the quad in aug. n ran a few mx practices and it land like u were on a cloud. im gonna practice at the loacal xc track a few times and do some timed runs. why do ppl tape up there stuf then????

ccdhowell
01-24-2011, 09:08 PM
You put tape from the front bumper to the plastic when you run a mud race to try to keep as much mud out of the radiator as you can.

Honestly, I'm still running my plastic skids. The underframe skid is holding up great and plastic slides better than aluminum. The swingarm skid sees the most abuse, but on my Outlaw it is pretty heavy duty for plastic, when I break it, I'll replace it and it hasn't broken yet.

Lots of people put too much imphasis on the quad, if you're just racing a local series and you're trying to have fun, you really don't need all the bells and whistles to start. Race a couple and then assess how your quad is doing and modify from there.

preddy518
01-25-2011, 07:52 AM
alright great. My rear skid is pretty beefy to. im gonna run some practices and stuff and see how it feels. Thanks alot for all the help. and another thing wats a good graphic for polaris's and number plates. i was jus gonna custom make one a school but if there not that pricey then ill jus have em made

ccdhowell
01-25-2011, 12:15 PM
you got me on that one, I don't run custom graphics. I buy my number plates from a seller on ebay, his name is gerbilnuts, or something like that, does good work.

ZSK
01-26-2011, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by ccdhowell
....Lots of people put too much imphasis on the quad, if you're just racing a local series and you're trying to have fun, you really don't need all the bells and whistles to start. Race a couple and then assess how your quad is doing and modify from there.

This statement couldn't be more correct. Add a teather kill switch to your quad and run a few races as is. You'll quickly learn what you need to add or change, and what works and what doesn't work.

preddy518
01-26-2011, 10:05 PM
alright sweet. im gonna start practicing this weekend. ya i kno its winter but the tracks are still open so why not.

ccdhowell
01-27-2011, 07:57 AM
Good luck!

polaris04predtl
03-01-2011, 12:49 PM
My 04 Polaris Pred and I ran our first XC race last May 2010 in MN. The quad got beat by this track/XC course, but made it out excellent. I was drained at the end, so alot of endurance in part to your part and yourself is absolutely needed. A camelbak to keep those fluids going too is crucial. Best of luck to you! I had no engine mods, and only body mods to help with added protection for me and my Pred.