PDA

View Full Version : Should I bore it?

mitchconley
01-23-2011, 09:12 AM
I need a top end on my four-hundy but ive been itching to go bigger with the motor. I was thinking either doing a +2mm or +3mm to get a 416 or 426. Not sure which one I want. what are the differences on the two? also i eventually want to stroke it +4mm which would get me a 440 with the 416 or a 450 with the 426. I really just want a second (or multiple) opinions on which bore is better and thoughts about stroking

PaRedneckRiders
01-23-2011, 09:17 AM
If its the first over bore on the motor i would go with a 416, because then if something happens down the road you can always bore it out again to the 88mm 426.

If you plan on stroking the motor do it all at once because if you dont your going to have to pretty much rebuild the whole motor again you cant use a regular piston with a stroker crank. You need a piston designed for the +4mm crank.

I would just bore it to a 416 with 11:1 comp or higher if you have access to higher octane fuel get a decent cam (stage 1 or 2 depending on what kind of riding you do) And mayb a decent port and polish job to really open it up.
Also mayb a 450r carb.

drew416ex
01-23-2011, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by PaRedneckRiders
If its the first over bore on the motor i would go with a 416, because then if something happens down the road you can always bore it out again to the 88mm 426.

If you plan on stroking the motor do it all at once because if you dont your going to have to pretty much rebuild the whole motor again you cant use a regular piston with a stroker crank. You need a piston designed for the +4mm crank.

I would just bore it to a 416 with 11:1 comp or higher if you have access to higher octane fuel get a decent cam (stage 1 or 2 depending on what kind of riding you do) And mayb a decent port and polish job to really open it up.
Also mayb a 450r carb.

You can use any piston as long as you go with a powroll stroker crank. You just have to get the piston skirt machined a little for clearance. I would also do a 416 for the extra bore later on. If you plan on stroking it I would also just go ahead and do it if you have the money. If not wait a couple months till you do. You wont be dissapointed.

togup
01-24-2011, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by drew416ex
You can use any piston as long as you go with a powroll stroker crank. You just have to get the piston skirt machined a little for clearance. I would also do a 416 for the extra bore later on. If you plan on stroking it I would also just go ahead and do it if you have the money. If not wait a couple months till you do. You wont be dissapointed.

I have always heard that you have to have a special stroker piston to work with a hot rods crank but recently I did some measuring of the many pistons i have laying around(440 flat top weisco,dome top stroker CP ,a CP flat top stroker and a hot rods stroker flat top and besides the skirt being shorter they measure the same from center of the wrist pin to the top of the piston side of coarse the dome top will be taller in the center. Has anyone made any similiar measurements not including what youve heard or what your brothers friends cousin said, real measurements please.

drew416ex
01-24-2011, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by togup
I have always heard that you have to have a special stroker piston to work with a hot rods crank but recently I did some measuring of the many pistons i have laying around(440 flat top weisco,dome top stroker CP ,a CP flat top stroker and a hot rods stroker flat top and besides the skirt being shorter they measure the same from center of the wrist pin to the top of the piston side of coarse the dome top will be taller in the center. Has anyone made any similiar measurements not including what youve heard or what your brothers friends cousin said, real measurements please.

I measured my JE 11:1 stroker piston and my standard wiseco 11:1 and the JE was 2mm shorter from the top of the dome to the top of the wristpin hole. You do need to run a stroker piston with other cranks but powroll uses a shorter rod. this allows you to use any piston with a little shaving of the skirt.

togup
01-25-2011, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by drew416ex
I measured my JE 11:1 stroker piston and my standard wiseco 11:1 and the JE was 2mm shorter from the top of the dome to the top of the wristpin hole. You do need to run a stroker piston with other cranks but powroll uses a shorter rod. this allows you to use any piston with a little shaving of the skirt.
Thank you ,that makes sense hows that 440 stroker treating you ,having any cooling issues? sounds like a fast motor

drew416ex
01-25-2011, 08:43 PM
Man I love this thing. Wish I would have done it a long time ago. Its 2-3 years old now and havnt had a single problem. Ive run it hard on the mx track in 100+ degree temps with no problems.