PDA

View Full Version : Alaska

Pappy
01-22-2011, 09:33 PM
Anybody live up there?

Thinking real hard about a possible move in a few years.....cant imagine a better place to be to shoot wildlife (think camera)

TCracin440ex
01-22-2011, 09:37 PM
man i love alaska. every time i see any kind of show on tv that involves alaska im all eyes and ears. i watch the alaska state troopers, ice road truckers, gold rush alaska. alaska is such a beautiful state and a very wealthy state. id love to live there or even visit there for a week or so.

Quad18star
01-22-2011, 09:38 PM
You're worse than my old man wanting to go to Arizona... he's been saying it for years and has now finally gone. :p

If it's as cold in AK as it is here right now ... Eff Alaska!!! I'm freezing my nuts off with -40 degrees these last few days.

TCracin440ex
01-22-2011, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
If it's as cold in AK as it is here right now ... Eff Alaska!!! I'm freezing my nuts off with -40 degrees these last few days.

yea but id rather be cold instead of hot. my theory is i can put on more clothes to keep warm, but cant take enough off when its hot to keep cool.

Quad18star
01-22-2011, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
yea but id rather be cold instead of hot. my theory is i can put on more clothes to keep warm, but cant take enough off when its hot to keep cool.

I don't mind the cold ..... but when it's too cold you can't do a whole lot... atleast not enjoyably.

I've considered moving out west if I could land a job with a mining company out there.

Pappy
01-22-2011, 09:54 PM
Before I die, I just want to live like ive always dreamed....in the middle of no where.

I cant stand living close to others, I dont mind people but just not to many especially around where I live.

When I was a kid, I was always in the woods, never inside and always walking every stretch of ground I could find......I try that here but its still to crowded. I doubt we will move there but its nice to dream. There are still areas in this state where I can be "isolated":p

CJM
01-22-2011, 09:56 PM
Ive never been but hear its quite nice. The only bad things are its freezing and snows alot, its light 6 months of the year with no dark in some places iirc, the bugs, beasties, etc-they are HUGE and the bugs are like 10x worse.

Still a cool place to go and or live. I personally want to move somewhere warmer-georgia, the carolinas, etc. I dont want to deal with winter or snow much anymore. Cali would be cool but I could never live with the laws and Az is way to hot.

Ken, move to the Ozark mtns, its still rural up there and you can buy a slice of land for cheap.

Pappy
01-22-2011, 09:57 PM
I would suck on my pistol before I lived in Cali or NJ:eek:

I have friends who are begging me to come live in the midwest, and Missouri is one of the places.

My old employer bought a farm in Iowa, told me last week to go build a house there...for free:p

CJM
01-22-2011, 10:02 PM
Im stuck here by circumstance, family, school and (before I got fired) work.

When I grad school m y first step is outta here, anywhere but here, cali, ny and il. Down south or midwest should be nice, ill fit right in there

Pappy
01-22-2011, 10:07 PM
The good part is my wife and both kids are all for living way out. Cody and Ryan both take after me and hate big crowds, cant stand alot of people etc. A National race is about as big as we get :p

This area im in now is just getting horrible. Maryland people rolled over to this state because they couldnt afford Maryland, now its just as bad as MD. Its not horrible mind you, but when I moved here I could walk into any resturant and be seated, last night, at 6pm, it was an 80 minute wait!

Im lucky to be 30 minutes from town, but i'd like to be further. There are some areas in WV that offer what I want. Im just *****in haha and blowing off steam but man it would be killer to live where i could unload a full mag in any direction without worrying about hitting a dang thing:p

TCracin440ex
01-22-2011, 10:11 PM
i dont know if its true or not, but ive heard it said on tv that alaska gives each of its states residents 1000 a year tax free money because they said the oil companys ravish the states natural beauty.

alaska has so much natural resources far as gold, fishing, oil etc. id love to go up there and go mine for a summer to find gold. but i guess its ok to dream. i been watching that alaska gold rush show entirely too much

Pappy
01-22-2011, 10:28 PM
I watch that show, what a bunch of tards. They have to have some backing because noone I know would dump the cash they have and run it so poorly:p

Canadian144
01-22-2011, 10:30 PM
I don't mind the cold ..... but when it's too cold you can't do a whole lot... atleast not enjoyably.

I've considered moving out west if I could land a job with a mining company out there.

Amen to that. When it's cold out, I put throw on my longjohns, bundle up, and either go riding or go working on one of my CR's at our farm in the barn (well it is insulate and has a fireplace, it takes an hour or so to warm up). I do notice some days that it's soooo cold that I don't even want to go work on the bike though.

I'm thinking of moving out west. Well at least going to school out there. Haven't decided where I'm going to go, but I got accepted into U of Calgary, into the business program, which has strong strong connections with the energy industry.

Quad18star
01-22-2011, 10:31 PM
i dont know if its true or not, but ive heard it said on tv that alaska gives each of its states residents 1000 a year tax free money because they said the oil companys ravish the states natural beauty.

alaska has so much natural resources far as gold, fishing, oil etc. id love to go up there and go mine for a summer to find gold. but i guess its ok to dream. i been watching that alaska gold rush show entirely too much

Alberta does the same with it's residence because of the oil fields. It's the only province in Canada that has a surplus rather than a deficit.

Apply to work with a mining company .... I'm not talking about panning for gold since your chances with hitting it big are slim to none... but rather get on with a gold mining company and start working the equipment. Mining is a great profession with a ton of money to be made. The average wage for a Miner is higher than the National average here in Canada (and I'm assuming it's the same in the USA). It's not uncommon for someone mining in Canada to make between $80 000 to $150 000 a year.

Pappy
01-22-2011, 10:34 PM
I believe most miners here average $64 K according to the published numbers. Hard work but a great wage here. I dont live any where close to a mine. I doubt I could do that underground stuff.

Quad18star
01-22-2011, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Canadian144
Amen to that. When it's cold out, I put throw on my longjohns, bundle up, and either go riding or go working on one of my CR's at our farm in the barn (well it is insulate and has a fireplace, it takes an hour or so to warm up). I do notice some days that it's soooo cold that I don't even want to go work on the bike though.

I'm thinking of moving out west. Well at least going to school out there. Haven't decided where I'm going to go, but I got accepted into U of Calgary, into the business program, which has strong strong connections with the energy industry.

I just got off the phone with a buddy that lives in Calgary. He said the oil fields are starting to hire a large amount of people.

I just got back from a Mining conference in Ottawa this week and got to talk with a lot of guys (and girls) from the UofC and University of Alberta ... all of them have jobs with mining/oil companies when they graduate. The only downfall with Alberta is the price of homes. The price of gas however is only 102.1 cents/L. I'm thinking of Saskatchewan with the potash miners if I can get hired on with them. :)

Pappy
01-22-2011, 10:40 PM
Silly miners, Alberta and Saskatchewan are home of big bucks LOL...deer, horns OH MY!

TCracin440ex
01-22-2011, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
I watch that show, what a bunch of tards. They have to have some backing because noone I know would dump the cash they have and run it so poorly:p

i know everytime i see them trying to so called "operate" the equipment i just shake my head. i am an equipment operator and they just make real operators look like a bunch of jack legs. i think alot of the stuff they do on there is just for tv ratings. but then again i dont know.

i know id love to be given the opportunity they were given. i love operating equipment and i could probally do 50x better then what they are

Pappy
01-22-2011, 10:53 PM
I know alot of these "reality" shows have to be raising the brow of some of the groups that control stuff (EPA, OSHA etc) Many of the shows aired, not just Gold Rush, would have companies being checked out, fined and shut down:p

I geuss with like OCC they can say its all for the camera, but when it comes to some of the stuff I have to wonder where the line will be crossed....

Quad18star
01-22-2011, 11:05 PM
Silly miners, Alberta and Saskatchewan are home of big bucks LOL...deer, horns OH MY!

LOL.

Also home to FLAT country ... although living in Calgary you're only 2 hours away from the Rockies. I wouldn't mind Saskatchewan though ....theres a few more lakes than Alberta has , with some monster fish.

I've got a buddy that moved to Saskatoon this time last year. The company flew him out there to check out the mine site ... then they asked what he wanted for a wage ... he said $80 000 a year ... they said they'd give him $85 000 ( he sold himself short) ... then they paid his real estate fees here in town when he sold his house ... plus they paid his real estate fees in Saskatoon when he bought a home ... and they paid his moving expenses and his apartment while his home was being built. He only had to commit to working for 1 year. Not to shabby I'd say. Plus he says the town is beautiful which is a bonus.

Quad18star
01-22-2011, 11:11 PM
i know everytime i see them trying to so called "operate" the equipment i just shake my head. i am an equipment operator and they just make real operators look like a bunch of jack legs. i think alot of the stuff they do on there is just for tv ratings. but then again i dont know.

i know id love to be given the opportunity they were given. i love operating equipment and i could probally do 50x better then what they are

Being from Virginia, have you ever considered underground mining in the coal mines? Being an equipment operator opens a lot of doors for you in the mining field ... both surface mining and underground. I've run a few underground loaders (aka scooptrams) and haul trucks. It's a blast.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IqDJTBAmyqY" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

ATVMX33
01-23-2011, 07:46 AM
Before I die, I just want to live like ive always dreamed....in the middle of no where.

I cant stand living close to others, I dont mind people but just not to many especially around where I live.

When I was a kid, I was always in the woods, never inside and always walking every stretch of ground I could find......I try that here but its still to crowded. I doubt we will move there but its nice to dream. There are still areas in this state where I can be "isolated":p

my thoughts exactly:D

yellowzo3
01-23-2011, 08:04 AM

I did read somewhere that they had support backing them. And as with all reality tv, the show is not exactly what it seems. One of the guys on the show (Dorsey) has a blog online and talks about what it was really like on the show and why his "character" is the way he is. It's pretty interesting but the blog does get kind of confusing sometimes.

I watch the show every week, and though I know its fake (for the most part) I can't turn it off :p ...Just looking at the scenery behind them while they casually try to mine gold is awesome. It's like its no big deal out there.

Canadian144
01-23-2011, 08:21 AM
I just got off the phone with a buddy that lives in Calgary. He said the oil fields are starting to hire a large amount of people.

I just got back from a Mining conference in Ottawa this week and got to talk with a lot of guys (and girls) from the UofC and University of Alberta ... all of them have jobs with mining/oil companies when they graduate. The only downfall with Alberta is the price of homes. The price of gas however is only 102.1 cents/L. I'm thinking of Saskatchewan with the potash miners if I can get hired on with them. :)

You certainly make it sound very appealing to go out there for school! But yeah, I figure if I go to school for business at another school, I won't have too much trouble getting a job. But going to a school and easily getting a job afterwards in the fastest-growing (economically speaking) province in an increasingly popular industry would be great too! The only thing I wonder is what the industry will be like in 20 years or so.

feuerstack411
01-23-2011, 08:24 AM
I always new that Alaska was a beautiful place and everything, but I never realized it until i saw the latest episode of Top Gear America, it truly is beautiful

Quad18star
01-23-2011, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Canadian144
You certainly make it sound very appealing to go out there for school! But yeah, I figure if I go to school for business at another school, I won't have too much trouble getting a job. But going to a school and easily getting a job afterwards in the fastest-growing (economically speaking) province in an increasingly popular industry would be great too! The only thing I wonder is what the industry will be like in 20 years or so.

Oil has been driving the economy for the last 150 years and it will continue to do so for another 100 years. Investors prioritize their investments .... oil and gold are their top commodities because they are sure to make money. I like the mining industry because there is so much room for movement within it, that employees can go from one company to another if need be. People need metals ... you use metals every day .... and there's only one place they come from ... a mine. :D

CJM
01-23-2011, 09:51 AM
Incase anyones wondering, I foudn dorseys blog and liek all good reality shows its scripted..

http://www.goldminingrealityshow.com/

Interesting show but I hate the drama, first few episodes were good but then of course they gotta create the drama and I hate that.

Oh FYI: Friend of mine is good friends with Will Hayden from Red Jacket Firearms (aka tv show sons of guns premiering in about a week). He said they also wanted to make the show scripted and Will wouldnt let it happen really.

TCracin440ex
01-23-2011, 11:34 AM
Being from Virginia, have you ever considered underground mining in the coal mines? Being an equipment operator opens a lot of doors for you in the mining field ... both surface mining and underground. I've run a few underground loaders (aka scooptrams) and haul trucks. It's a blast.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IqDJTBAmyqY" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

there is a few quarrys close to me, but all of them are on lay off. ive been trying to get on at the local quarrys for a while. but every time i go to see if they are doing anything they tell me not hiring.

jasonjonesjj
01-23-2011, 11:40 AM
should watch the movie, "into the wild". true story about a college graduate that goes to alaska to live off the land.... he doesnt make it.

Pappy
01-23-2011, 11:53 AM
Stupid hurts. Knowing what to eat is pretty important

CJM
01-23-2011, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by jasonjonesjj
should watch the movie, "into the wild". true story about a college graduate that goes to alaska to live off the land.... he doesnt make it.

Real shame, kid wasnt so stupid as much as just not thinking into the reality of the situation and actually preparing for it.

Longdong
01-23-2011, 06:55 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TCracin440ex
i dont know if its true or not, but ive heard it said on tv that alaska gives each of its states residents 1000 a year tax free money because they said the oil companys ravish the states natural beauty[/QUOTE

That doesn't go to far when you pay $6 for a loaf of bread. Milk is over $5 a gallon.

dns1764
01-24-2011, 05:32 AM
here's a question me and a few of my friends were trying to figure out, how many tv shows are based on alaska? there is like 13 survival, couple fishing, the gold one, sarah palins, the airplane, ice road, and the state trooper one.

beastlywarrior
01-24-2011, 07:55 AM
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr352/beastlywarrior228/sarah-palin.jpg

CJM
01-24-2011, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by beastlywarrior
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr352/beastlywarrior228/sarah-palin.jpg

^ She aint as stupid as ya'll think. There are plenty of politicians who make her look like a rocket scientist!

Ex_Rider43
01-24-2011, 08:15 PM
Especially when this quote doesnt come from her , but from a SNL show with Tina fey ...

beastlywarrior
01-24-2011, 08:19 PM
haha she actually said something like that on her show but if she runs for president, she'll have my vote

brian76708
01-24-2011, 08:37 PM
Stupid hurts. Knowing what to eat is pretty important

I watched a documentary called call of the wild and they claimed it was not from poison potato seeds. In the documentary they kept trying to interview people but Sean Penn had made many of them sign contracts when they made the movie.

http://tifilms.com/wild/call_intro.htm

i watched the documentary first so it kind of ruined Into the wild for me but it still was a good movie.

Pappy
01-24-2011, 08:40 PM
You dont have to be in the wilderness, there are many times when people have picked mushrooms to eat and they die. It was a few years back but a family of 4 died after eating them....

Ive read books etc, but I would need to spend some time with someone who knows to show me.....it is pretty easy to make a small mistake:p

jesseweaver
01-24-2011, 08:59 PM

yea i never used to mind the cold either but i can barely take it here lately. i work outside 6-5 every day and today it didnt hit 0 until about lunchtime. -10 doesnt feel that bad until you're outside in it for half a day

Pappy
01-24-2011, 09:27 PM
LOL..Jesse wait till you are older and every joint aches haha:chinese:

Quad18star
01-25-2011, 09:14 AM

And you want to move to Alaska?

I think Arizona would benefit you a whole lot more ... Old Man !!!! :blah:

Pappy
01-25-2011, 10:00 AM
For the wildlife I would deal with it...not to mention the chance to bump repeatedly into Palins daughter...repeatedly LOL

Quad18star
01-25-2011, 10:25 AM
For the wildlife I would deal with it...not to mention the chance to bump repeatedly into Palins daughter...repeatedly LOL

LMAO ... "woops I slipped .... woops I slipped again" ;)

jesseweaver
01-25-2011, 04:14 PM

thats already starting :eek2:

awsomeaussies
01-26-2011, 05:25 PM
I've been there once for a fishing trip. Beautiful state! I was in Kitchikan, Alaska. Bald eagles are everywhere. There's all kinds of wildlife you see just from the boat... bears, moose, whales. That was about 15 years ago, but I would love to go back up there. Some parts of Alaska(not sure which parts) are dark 6 months out of the year, then light the other 6 months.