PDA

View Full Version : head gasket

rboyer
01-22-2011, 12:18 PM
Any surefire ways to tell if u have a blown head gasket? I tried smellin the rad and seein if it smells like exhaust, but all I can smell is the strong odor of engine ice....when I pulled the cap it did have pressure behind it(it was stone cold and siting for a day or two...but liquid level was jus below the fin holes.....does this sound normal?

trx293pv
01-22-2011, 04:19 PM
Is it blowing white smoke? That's a sure fire sign

rboyer
01-22-2011, 04:30 PM
Yeah...but I just fixed the crank seal...and I'm havin jettin issues..so its runnin rich.....kinda hard to tell if its leftover trans oil, running rich or burnon antifreeze....but if it had pressure or was under a vaccum could it still have a leak? I took of the cap and heard it either suck in or blow out...

trx293pv
01-22-2011, 04:43 PM
oil smoke is usually blue. but if it's holding any kind of pressure don't know..have to ask someone smarter

profab250R
01-27-2011, 08:00 AM
pressure in your radiator when cold is typically a blown head gasket. one other way to tell is to take off the rad cap and start the engine if you get bubbles after like 5 minutes this would mean there is exhaust in the cooling system. Only sure fire way though is to pull the head off and see.
make sure you drain the coolant before pulling the head. pull the large screw on the water pump housing to drain the coolant.