PDA

View Full Version : should I trade?

fasterblaster09
01-22-2011, 10:33 AM
Well, of the 20+ vehicles I've owned, I've never had a 4x4. I have the opportunity to get one, just don't know what they're worth. Someone wants to trade this -- http://lafayette.craigslist.org/cto/2173584745.html for the mustang I have here -- http://lafayette.craigslist.org/cto/2172092931.html ( I didn't post the add, I know how to spell convertible lol). He said he wants 5000 for the truck, he said thats a little under the blue book value. The odometer reads 179k. The only bad things on the truck are the dash is broken up( he has a dash mat on it), and the steering dampener broke yesterday but thats nothing. any opinions on this? He also wants me to throw in the rims, which I paid 150 for. I would probably just keep it a little while and sell, just don't want to come out behind. thanks, neil

Canadian144
01-22-2011, 10:51 AM
For me, it would come down to what I want/need. Obviously with the Ram you will get worse gas mileage, and it will be harder to park and manoeuvre in tight spaces.

That being said, I'd take the truck anyday. If it was a V8 mustang we were talking about, it would be a tougher choice. But you're getting a newer vehicle that's more practical (although with higher miles). Those Rams were probably my favorite Rams that Dodge ever built.... didn't care for the HEMI ones or the current ones either.

fasterblaster09
01-22-2011, 11:18 AM
I dont keep a vehicle for more than a couple week to a month before its for sale, so I guess what im really wondering about is should I be able to come out ahead when I do sell the truck.

PaRedneckRiders
01-22-2011, 11:24 AM
I personally would do it, i do see how you would have trouble selling a 4x4 ram with a 360 for more than 3k the only problem is gas, seems like alot of people have been buying smaller trucks like a Dakota with a 318 or a 6cyl.
Up to you in the end and who knows maybe youll like it and want to keep it for a while.

Im the same way with quads and bikes ill buy something ride it for a month or so and get bored with it so ill trade for something different.

fastredrider44
01-22-2011, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by fasterblaster09
I dont keep a vehicle for more than a couple week to a month before its for sale, so I guess what im really wondering about is should I be able to come out ahead when I do sell the truck.

I know what youre getting at, but its a tough one to answer. The rebuilt motor and replaced t-case would indicate that the truck was not taken care of, or beat on pretty good. If it goes down the road straight and runs good, the truck is worth quite a bit more than the car. If it drives like crap, you probably won't come out like a rose. Nothing wrong with buying/ trading 4x4s, but this one raises an eyebrow.

TCracin440ex
01-22-2011, 02:40 PM
i wouldnt trade, that ram looks like its been rode hard and hung up wet. who posts pics of a dirty filty muddy *** truck on craigslist to sale. that should automatically tell you right there hes been giving it hell and dont care about it. when i sell stuff i make sure i wash and clean it up good so it looks presentable. i wouldnt make that trade at all

CJM
01-22-2011, 03:47 PM
Im a mechanic, your mustangs worth more than that ram will ever be as its 10x more reliable.

Judging by the fact it has a rebuilt 360 (they generally dont break down) and rebuilt t-case (and im willing to bet the trans has either been rebuilt or its going) and they didnt even bother cleaning the thing up before taking pics and they tell you it is great in mud? RUN FAR AWAY!

That thing isnt worth 5000g's either. More like 1500 if hes lucky.

trailrider894
01-22-2011, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Im a mechanic, your mustangs worth more than that ram will ever be as its 10x more reliable.

Judging by the fact it has a rebuilt 360 (they generally dont break down) and rebuilt t-case (and im willing to bet the trans has either been rebuilt or its going) and they didnt even bother cleaning the thing up before taking pics and they tell you it is great in mud? RUN FAR AWAY!

That thing isnt worth 5000g's either. More like 1500 if hes lucky.

Plus it looks like the guy has beat the $HIT out of the dang thing!!

CJM
01-22-2011, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
Plus it looks like the guy has beat the $HIT out of the dang thing!!

correctomundo, probably owned by some stupid idiot who likes ot mud and beat the pee outta the truck.

trailrider894
01-22-2011, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by CJM
correctomundo, probably owned by some stupid idiot who likes ot mud and beat the pee outta the truck.

agreed... I can be tough on a vehicle, but my look spotless at all times!! even my old beater truck with wheel well rust gets waxed once a month and gets a undercoating every two years.

fasterblaster09
01-22-2011, 08:30 PM
Yeh when I was on my way to meet up with him, he was gettign pulled out of a field. When I pulled up by the truck, I noticed something hanging, it was the steering dampner snapped in half from getting caught up on a stomp. He had it for about 4 months, I was thinking it was pretty early for an engine rebuild, and I know for sure them things' trannsmissions aren't worth a $hit. I think I will pass it up. Since i've already worked out the bugs with the mustang, no rush to get rid of it. For some reason I feel like I have to have a vehicle for sale or trade, idk I guess an addiction. It drives me crazy.

trailrider894
01-22-2011, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by fasterblaster09
Yeh when I was on my way to meet up with him, he was gettign pulled out of a field. When I pulled up by the truck, I noticed something hanging, it was the steering dampner snapped in half from getting caught up on a stomp. He had it for about 4 months, I was thinking it was pretty early for an engine rebuild, and I know for sure them things' trannsmissions aren't worth a $hit. I think I will pass it up. Since i've already worked out the bugs with the mustang, no rush to get rid of it. For some reason I feel like I have to have a vehicle for sale or trade, idk I guess an addiction. It drives me crazy.

My life code when it comes to buying a used vehicle or anything that has an engine...

1. How clean is it?? It needs to look near mint condition... Some say its not possible, but it think it is.

2. Rust?? I won't take ANYTHING with rust.

3. Interior?? The condition of the interior reflects the condition of what you can't see on the outside.

4. Engine Bay?? If its dirty, i pass it on up... If i see any sign of a country gravel road, i keep on driving and forget about that vechicle.

5. Who was the owner???? I normally only purchase things from people older than 30. Although some younger people, including myself.... Take Extremely good care of there things. Perfect example of an excellent buy? A Kawasaki Bayou 220... I picked it up from an 86yr man who got a new quad and wanted to sell his...... O.o...........

6. Wheels... ( biggest and most overlooked thing when buying a REAR WHEEL DRIVE OR AWD CAR specifically... ) When looking for a rear wheel or AWD car, ALWAYS look at the wheels. Wheels reflect the driving habits of the driver... If they like to drift in gravel, the paint will be all eaten up on the lip of the wheel. Dents means people SUCK at driving and parking. Brake dust means people don't take the time to clean there cars.

and that is my guide to buying a used car... I live by that list and have never bought something that was used that left me stranded. 150,000 miles later on a '96 Monte Carlo which just reached 300,000 miles, and it is still going strong!!!!!!

CJM
01-22-2011, 09:16 PM
Way the buyer looks and the car looks shows you they treated it. Rust sadly is inevitable on some vehicles tho (mostly trucks).

I scrutinize everything used I buy, I want it to look nice and function well. Sometimes you can find a diamond in the rough and it may look bad but run quite well. Still, if the interior is dirty or worn to death I dont want it-they usually smell too in that case.

My friends into the disposable car game, he guys whatever, doesnt care so long as it runs and drives it till it ties, he wrecks it or gets an idiot to buy it. At last count he has had 25 cars since 18 and hes only 23. Course he doesnt really buy the cars, alot of them his dad buys and since hw works for the old man he works if off-but they spoil the kid anyways.

TCracin440ex
01-22-2011, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by CJM
I scrutinize everything used I buy, I want it to look nice and function well. Sometimes you can find a diamond in the rough and it may look bad but run quite well. Still, if the interior is dirty or worn to death I dont want it-they usually smell too in that case.

i refuse and will not buy a vehicle from a smoker. idk how many of yall are smokers. but a smokers vehicle has the worst smell ever. the odor stays in the vents, and no matter how much you clean or detail the smoke smell will never come out of the vents or the uppolistry.

trailrider894
01-22-2011, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
i refuse and will not buy a vehicle from a smoker. idk how many of yall are smokers. but a smokers vehicle has the worst smell ever. the odor stays in the vents, and no matter how much you clean or detail the smoke smell will never come out of the vents or the uppolistry.

My sister bought a car like that... I shampooed the seats and used a pro grade shampooer at a car dealer and got the smell outta the upholstry... but i repeated the process a half a dozen times, and i pulled the vents and air ducts and cleaned them... >.> i would spend the extra 200$ if i were her and bought the nicer Impreza.

CJM
01-22-2011, 09:50 PM
Oh you can get the smell out, there is stuff you add to the AC system and spray in the vents and it works.

My vent system in my truck has ALOT of dust in it and smells sometimes of mildew b/c of all the offroading I used to do. What I had to do was get some bleach/water mix and spray it in the vents a few times, killed whatever it was and the stank went away. Could also use this stuff, I did it for someone else and it turned out good. http://www.bgprod.com/products/climatecontrol.html frig clean and put it in there

Also febreeze sucks, I use renuzit and it works 10x better. I usually clean my truck good, shampoo everything and then leave the windows slightly cracked on a hot summer day and bathe the interior in it.