PDA

View Full Version : exhaust flange O-rings...

jcs003
01-21-2011, 03:58 PM
where do i get a set of exhaust flange o-rings? i remember a guy that is a member here who manufactured them.

thanks,

john

Fear250r
01-21-2011, 04:19 PM
TLR-online.com

jcs003
01-21-2011, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Fear250r
TLR-online.com

thank you sir. thats the info i need.:D

rboyer
01-21-2011, 04:29 PM
Fmf makes an o-ring and spring set for a cr250....I used them and it worked good...

jcs003
01-21-2011, 05:29 PM
$10.60 shipped.

thanks pumashine. great deal!:D

Pumashine
01-21-2011, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by jcs003
thanks pumashine. great deal!:D

What did I do?

I guess you cannot get the metal ring for the Honda flanges anymore. TLR has an exhaust material that comes in strips. You put it in the groove and it takes up the space where the old metal flange went. It resembles the stock material (ring) Honda used that goes at the end of the exhaust flange to seal between the pipe and flange.

For some reason I cannot stand a leaky pipe. Some say I am crazy!

jcs003
01-21-2011, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Pumashine
What did I do?

I guess you cannot get the metal ring for the Honda flanges anymore. TLR has an exhaust material that comes in strips. You put it in the groove and it takes up the space where the old metal flange went. It resembles the stock material (ring) Honda used that goes at the end of the exhaust flange to seal between the pipe and flange.

i got an ESR flange and the o-rings eventually dissolve/disintegrate or something.

puma, i thought you contributed to this.

rboyer
01-21-2011, 07:58 PM
I did notice that too...if u remove to pipe, u have to replace the o ring..it gets hard and brittle. But they sell a 2 pack w 2 springs for like 10$ I think it was....but the a more durable one would be better...it was just a cheap easy fix that the honda shop had in stock....and had new springs... And ur not alone a leaky pipe is no good...I wish I could get my lrd 2 piece head pipe to stop leaking..I tried hi temp gasket maker..but it doesn't stay sealed for that long..... ...my bills has a rubber gasket and it seems to work good..but there isn't room in the joint for rubber or anything like that on the lrd?? It leaks and bugs me to no end..any suggestions

bigE28
01-22-2011, 12:23 PM
i bought the o-ring kit from TLR-online looks good. comes in a two piece kit, one is a high temp o-ring. have not rode it much , but it does not seem to leak. i think it was like 10 bucks.

TLR-Online
01-22-2011, 01:04 PM
i got an ESR flange and the o-rings eventually dissolve/disintegrate or something.

The black orings will get brittle because they are not made for the high temps, but they wont disintegrate like the orange silicone orings.

The orange silicone orings "outgas" and eventually disintegrate, dont ask where the silicone goes or ends up....

I really wish my kit as a little easier to install, but i think it works way better than an oring and creates a custom seal to each pipe/flange. The stock flange was made to use a steel ring in the groove.... so the groove shape was not designed specifically for an oring, but my gasket will conform to it. Also, most of the time either the pipe/flange is worn or has a ton of carbon build up and that can affect the sealing.

I wish silicone orings were the ticket, cause i could sell a ton of them... but they are not. I dont want to offer something that doesnt work that well just to make a quick buck.

One day i hope to have my own flanges made with a different type of seal all together... I have it pretty much designed, they are just expensive to make!

JoePA
01-23-2011, 08:11 AM
The TLR-Online kits work GREAT!!! It seals the pipe the way it should, great price and a board member!!!

86 Quad R
01-24-2011, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Pumashine

you are NOT crazy. i'm the same way. i absolutely can not stand a leaking pipe, regardless of the joint. :cool:

jcs003
01-24-2011, 03:01 PM
trevor has some good prices. i seen pumashine's engine stands on there and thought they were his product.haha

anyway, i should have them tomorrow and have her back together and ready to start this weekend. if i can find some ethanol free gasoline.

86 Quad R
01-24-2011, 03:04 PM
trevor has some good prices. i seen pumashine's engine stands on there and thought they were his product.haha

anyway, i should have them tomorrow and have her back together and ready to start this weekend. if i can find some ethanol free gasoline.

goed deal!!!

is the ethanol free even sold any more? :eek:

Pumashine
01-24-2011, 04:09 PM

No problem, it is happening all the time. I could not figure out why people were asking me about exhaust springs all the time. LOL! I'm just a polishing freak.

jcs003
01-25-2011, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
goed deal!!!

is the ethanol free even sold any more? :eek:

i dont know, but it seems to be a problem the more i hear and read over the last few months.

what ive gathered, other than the water attractiveness info.

engines running at higher operating temps.

gas mileage lower than on standard gasoline.

makes tuning a carb troublesome.

jcs003
01-26-2011, 02:19 PM
for some reason i cannot get the header pipe to go all the way on. i followed the instructions that trevor sent with the kit to a T. i actually broke a pipe spring trying to make it work.

any tips?

SilverLake250R
01-26-2011, 02:24 PM
Take the exhaust flange off and then pound the gasket material into the flange all the way around. It gets all smashed and deformed but that's fine. It works well when you get it on there.

jcs003
01-26-2011, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by SilverLake250R
Take the exhaust flange off and then pound the gasket material into the flange all the way around. It gets all smashed and deformed but that's fine. It works well when you get it on there.

i did that and it still wont go all the way on.

like i said, "i followed the instructions to a T"

TLR-Online
01-26-2011, 04:07 PM
i did that and it still wont go all the way on.

like i said, "i followed the instructions to a T"

Did it go all the way on when you installed it off the bike?

It still should be a tight fit and will take some muscle to get it on, the springs will not pull it into place.

TLR-Online
01-27-2011, 06:37 PM
Did you get it?

jcs003
01-28-2011, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by TLR-Online
Did you get it?

yes. i was able to get it on using just one of the flange sealers/o-rings. even then it was difficult to get on.

im thinking that this ESR exhaust flange's grooves arent as deep as some of the others.

i think this will work great. im assuming the sealer material expands with the heat and will form a better seal.

TLR-Online
01-28-2011, 05:40 AM
Glad you got it on!

Double Oring Flanges are def more difficult to install... Sometimes if you are having too much trouble you can install the flange in the header piece off the bike and try to put it on that way. Its kinda hard to get the bolts in since the pipe is in the way, but it can be done with some patience. Also, I have used just one piece of my gasket in a double oring flange compared to 2 orings and it sealed better.

I know it sucks to get on, but you want it to be a tight fit so it creates a good seal. You are pretty much forming the gasket to your pipe as you are pushing it on.