PDA

View Full Version : I think I have a big problem with my hotcam.

Sick0
02-13-2003, 06:55 AM
OK i was reading some threads about the sproket flange getting loose on the cam. So it got me thinking. I DIDN'T have to press on the flange, all I had to is slide it on with no effort. Is this how it should go? Because it soulds like its a know problem thats happen before to orthere members on the site, the cam either loosen up or in one case I can remember were the flange go striped from loosing . Whats do you think do I have a problem

YZROOSTINYA
02-13-2003, 08:28 AM
mine pressed on

02-13-2003, 08:42 AM
Does anyone know the background of hotcams the company???

Did they like just open up and decide to sling out cams with no care in the world if there junk or not...or do they have a good background with motors and knowledge of metals??:confused:

After being on the webpage and reading tons and tons of info on everything you could put in or on a 400ex I've never read a bad thing about any cam made by anyone,,besides it tearing up rockers because the person didn't have them hardened..but I've read lots of stuff on these hot-cams.. Kinda makes me wonder if they really are junk..

What's their web address I'd lilke to read up a little on them??:D

BadA$$440
02-13-2003, 09:08 AM
i had the stage 1 and had to press mine on

Hoodeye3
02-13-2003, 09:09 AM
I believe it is - www.hotcamsinc.com

Pappy
02-13-2003, 09:10 AM
it sure aint www.hotcams.com rotflmao

YZROOSTINYA
02-13-2003, 09:42 AM
you tried that too eh!!!!

hahahahah

luckily no one was in my office at the time

Sick0
02-13-2003, 10:02 AM
so do you thinks it not good

BadA$$440
02-13-2003, 10:05 AM
no, i would take it out an send it back to them before some messes up in your motor. First call them and tell them

02-13-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by YZROOSTINYA
you tried that too eh!!!!

hahahahah

luckily no one was in my office at the time

Yeah i did that too and don't try it with a - between the hot and the cams part either...:eek:

YZROOSTINYA
02-13-2003, 11:42 AM
hhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Colby@C&DRacing
02-13-2003, 12:12 PM
Just to let you guys know the background of this company. They did not just appear from nowhere they are PIVOT WORKS. Yes you read that right. When you call hot cams you are talking to the guys at pivot works. Not really sure how they got in the cam business but I am glad they did. I have not had any troubles of the hot cams that I installed. but as with any part out there, you will always see some mistakes.:)

dariusld
02-13-2003, 12:17 PM
it sure aint www.hotcams.com rotflmao You guys got me to bite.

wgbanks
02-13-2003, 07:18 PM
The old lady walked in and I got a dope slap I'll probably still be feeling next week. I'll go back later when she's gone:devil

Predator36
02-13-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
Just to let you guys know the background of this company. They did not just appear from nowhere they are PIVOT WORKS. Yes you read that right. When you call hot cams you are talking to the guys at pivot works. Not really sure how they got in the cam business but I am glad they did. I have not had any troubles of the hot cams that I installed. but as with any part out there, you will always see some mistakes.:)

If you go back a bit further - They started out producing and selling Dynomation (a 4stroke engine simulator) that was used by many cam designers all over the world including some Cart and F1 guys. Later they also came out with Dynomation 2 (a two stroke engine simulator). Among other things they started to design and import rods for IMS under the name Hot Rods. Later they switched to Wiseco as the major distributor for Hot Rods. Later Pivot Works entered the picture followed by HotCams. The company who builds these cams makes mistakes like us all. Any one can make a mistake but there are few companies that stand behind their product like HotCams. The guy who designs these cams is the owner himself. When it comes to cams he has forgotten more about them then many cam guys will ever know about them. Of the top cam designers in the US he is one of very few.

Braff1
02-13-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
it sure aint www.hotcams.com rotflmao

Yea I tried that one too...:D

02-14-2003, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by Predator36
If you go back a bit further - They started out producing and selling Dynomation (a 4stroke engine simulator) that was used by many cam designers all over the world including some Cart and F1 guys. Later they also came out with Dynomation 2 (a two stroke engine simulator). Among other things they started to design and import rods for IMS under the name Hot Rods. Later they switched to Wiseco as the major distributor for Hot Rods. Later Pivot Works entered the picture followed by HotCams. The company who builds these cams makes mistakes like us all. Any one can make a mistake but there are few companies that stand behind their product like HotCams. The guy who designs these cams is the owner himself. When it comes to cams he has forgotten more about them then many cam guys will ever know about them. Of the top cam designers in the US he is one of very few.

Thanks for the good info Predator...makes me feel a little better about these cams..;)

raptor_02
02-15-2003, 12:47 AM
well chit, i was going to go with the HOTCAMS stage 2 but u fellas have me wondering now. Probaly go with a SPARKS cam then.

Evan
02-15-2003, 02:51 AM
JMO but I would prefer a cam that came from the factory with the flange pressed on that way its a pretty good assurance that the flange will not come off.

anywhereEx
02-15-2003, 06:52 AM
I am having the same problem. Last night I got the flange pressed off and then when the guy went to press it on the new cam he just looked at me like wtf? That is when we both noticed that you could easily slide the flange off by hand. It is so loose that you can put it on and turn the cam upside down and it will slide right off.

trx400ex
02-15-2003, 07:38 AM
We had to press mine on...its tight, someone should call hotcams and ask whats up.

hondaracer31
02-15-2003, 07:58 AM
I've had my flange on 2 cams now and it is loose too. It was not loose when I put it on though, They are not designed to be removed and reinstalled.
What happens is the flange gets loose which then allows the splines on the cam to wear. A new flange is only $15.00 or $20.00. Small price to pay for reliability.
In hindsight, I should have put a new flange on with the new cam!:confused: