PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket oil tank concern

Pappy
02-13-2003, 06:42 AM
i chatted with cfm and they said that my set up of a HMF headpipe and thier aftermarket oil tank wont work.....infact they said that no aftermarket tank will work with a HMF headpipe.

anyone have this set up?

all my chit has been ordered......i didnt give it a thought till i saw a pic of an aftermarket tank and it made me wonder:huh

y2k400ex
02-13-2003, 08:03 AM
Give KAWSAM62 a PM he has expaned the his stock tank to hold 1qt more. Its looks really good and them you wouldnt have to worry about clearance :confused:

02-13-2003, 08:05 AM
Well that sucks ta here Pappy,,I"m sure you wouldn't have a problem sellin the tank or the full pipe setup..your choice of what to get rid of....If anything I could sell you this nice lookin PC'd oil tank I got....:o :devil

CBW
02-13-2003, 08:07 AM
i cant afford a good pipe so i just have this setup........:huh

Pappy
02-13-2003, 08:09 AM
well i havent pc'd the frame for exactly this reason. if i have to i will fabricate and relocate the mounting tabs for the oil tank. i will try reversing the mounting bushings first.

i dont like the idea of modding the stock tank....this needs to be correct or further problems could arise. ive seen welded stock tanks before...nope aint happening here;)

Pappy
02-13-2003, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by CBW
i cant afford a good pipe so i just have this setup........:huh

unfortunatley a stock pipe isnt gonna cut it on this motor:p

YZROOSTINYA
02-13-2003, 08:12 AM
my buddy has the same exhaust as me with the pingry tank and his fits

maybe the HMF is bigger, I thought mine was the biggest out?

Pappy
02-13-2003, 08:15 AM
well ...im basing my main concerns off what CFM relaid to me. in thier opinion...no aftermarket oil tank will work with the hmf headpipe

methyman
Pappy I had a HMF full exhuast system and the over sized oil tank would not fit. Neal even modified the mounting tabs and it would still not fit. The HMF head pipe is so big. I dont think any over sized tank would fit. I sold my HMF pipe and went to a Curtis Sparks X6 pipe with no problem with over sized oil tank fitting.
Heres my post on same problem months back

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29803&highlight=oversized+tank

Later

Matthew

CBW
Originally posted by Pappy
unfortunatley a stock pipe isnt gonna cut it on this motor:p

Yeah...........but if i wanna go fast i have a couple of other quads/trike to use i guess. the 400 is fine like that for me i guess

good luck ken

Pappy
02-13-2003, 08:17 AM
well its possible to get hmf to modify the headpipe....but i dont really wanna go thru all that bs. it would be easier to mod the tank. :huh

i will be calling hmf shortly i reckon to get thier take on this issue:(

oynot400
02-13-2003, 08:20 AM
Pappy, how much more room do you need? I thought I read somewhere that another member had the same problem and they moved the mounts for the oil tank to give the head pipe more clearance. I don't recall what pipe it was, but that is a possiblity. :)

Pappy
02-13-2003, 08:22 AM
yeah...i will have to wait for the tank to arrive and throw the motor in the frame and mock it up. anything is possible....where there is a will there is a way:p

if ya look at chris's pic...there is about 1/2 clearance at best. ive seen other pics of the stock pipe that looked closer to the tank...like on the cfm tank. i geuss it will all work out:)

methyman
02-13-2003, 08:28 AM
Heres a pic of my modified tank by Neal at CFM