PDA

View Full Version : XC Budget

THR36
01-20-2011, 08:05 PM
On a budget and wondering a few things.
im buying a brand new 450 and this is my first year racing.
i was wondering if it was necessary for dual rear beadlock rims? or would it be ok if i got single beadlock with that be ok?
also what should be some of the first things i should put on the bike and then slowly put more on the bike as the year goes on.

i thought do the wheels tires and tire foam/tires balls not sure yet.
then possibly slip on exhaust
and or stabalizer.

any ideas of what direction i should go into?

ridehonda400ex
01-20-2011, 08:11 PM
pipe, suspension, good tires, a-arms, jet or power commander. then get into big engine mods. no sense in having an all mighty powerful engine if you cant use that power to its full potential because of bad suspension causing you to bounce all over.

Scro
01-20-2011, 08:13 PM
You're on the right track. You want to be able to finish the race and be comfortable while you are riding to being with....good tires, tireballs, a good set of skids, the right bar height, etc. Next, you want to upgrade the suspension. This will make you faster than any other mod money can buy. The last thing you want to worry about is motor work. You can't use the extra power, if you can't get it to the ground through the suspension. I would atleast get a pipe, though, so you can hear your motor running.

THR36
01-20-2011, 08:16 PM
what about the rear wheels should i have single or dual beadlocks?

Scro
01-20-2011, 08:26 PM
Single will be fine. The dual is overkill, because there is never enough pressure put on the inside bead when riding to break it.

THR36
01-20-2011, 08:30 PM
yah cause its a huge price difference between the two. so i just got to figure out where i want to go from here.

bike
wheels
tires
tire foam
prob all that first.

fastredrider44
01-21-2011, 02:34 PM
Beadlocks and tireballs or foam isn't even necessary at first. Some sort of suspension should be in front of beadlocks in my opinion. Skids and tires are a must right off the bat though.

Flynbryan19
01-21-2011, 06:43 PM
Stock wheels will be fine for a loooong time. Not neccesary. First things first is to get a good set of 6ply tires, skid plates (swingarm and frame), and a kill switch. That is the bare minimum in my opinion.

After that I'd recommend a steering dampner. They're VERY important for xc racing and if money allows save up and buy a quality one (precision or fastway). Its not cheap, but dampers are an item that you get what you pay for.

Next on the list is suspension. Again, get what you can afford. If all you can afford is revalved shocks on stock arms so be it. But, if you can do it aftermarket a-arms and the adjustability make a HUGE difference.

The LAST thing you need to worry about is the motor. Modern 450's have more than enough power to do anything you need to do. Even if all the further you get is the first step, go out and HAVE FUN! You don't need a tricked out quad to have a good time. Its about getting out and enjoying the ride. Its just more fun when you have all the tricks done. :)

Dustin_Drews
01-22-2011, 10:54 AM
First thing is stablilizer! I am to the point I will not race a quad with out one... PERIOD! front tire clips a tree the bars get ripped out of your hands so fast and most of the time you end up with a really sprained wrist...
Second thing would be suspension... A complete revavle and XC linkage at the least the best tires in the world will still spin like crazy if your rear end is not staying in contact with the ground.
Third, TIRES TIRES TIRES TIRES Get 2 sets one for practice one for racing and then you can use the practice set for spares at the track. Get good ones set up for your ridding conditions ask some people in your club they will steer your right.
Forth, Get a recluze... The only way I can describe a recluse on your quad is like this... You drive and shift while a mini Bill Ballance is running you clutch lever for the whole race! You do your job shifting the recluze will keep you from stalling and fudgin the clutch when you get tired.
I see you posted this in the 450r site... I woul also recommed getting an 04 0r 05 quad. They have the kicker, better transmission, better spindles and basically a better quad all the way around. If you want more throttle responce put a fcr carb on it and you are set.
If you do get a 06 electric or newer with electric... Put a kicker on it the e start is known for problems.
After all this is done put what ever pipe your heart wants on it! Just make sure you have enough money to put gas in it...
God Bless,
Dustin

THR36
01-22-2011, 03:52 PM
yah thats all good..i prob going to get an 08 and put 05 spindles on it. i dont like buying used bikes..even though ur changing everything eventually ya know..

i eventually will get everything im just trying to figure the steps i want to do it ya know..

this all helps thanks alot everyone

Dustin_Drews
01-22-2011, 04:36 PM
With this economy you would not beleve the deals you find on quads!
Save your money for the upgrades!
God Bless,
Dustin

THR36
01-23-2011, 05:24 AM
its just so hard to find a decent used bike. it scares me because you dont know the actually time and abuse it may have took ya know.

fast1500
01-25-2011, 11:02 PM
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/2124336175.html

fast1500
01-25-2011, 11:02 PM
http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/2116961310.html

fast1500
01-25-2011, 11:03 PM
http://houston.craigslist.org/rvs/2168089420.html

fast1500
01-25-2011, 11:04 PM
they are all around me. im thinkin about sellin my blown up 2004 for one of these