PDA

View Full Version : Troubleshooting

moore020
01-20-2011, 02:33 PM
While riding my bike in the snow today, it dies on me all of the sudden. When I tried to restart it, it sounded like the starter was whirring but there didnt seem to be engagement with the engine. Any ideas on what may be the problem?

CJM
01-20-2011, 02:41 PM
From the top, you need to verify the following:

1. Is it getting spark
2. Is it getting fuel

Once you verify both of those post back about what you found.

Worst case scenario: similar thing happened with a friends EX. Turns out the timing chain was stretched and it caused the auto tensioner to fail. He replaced both and hasnt had an issue. His sounded like a glugging noise when trying to crank it over/

moore020
01-20-2011, 02:44 PM
It is both getting spark and fuel? It is a really loud whirring, could it have anything to do with a clutch or gears or even the timing chain like you had mentioned?

Scro
01-20-2011, 02:49 PM
It almost sounds like the starter clutch went out, but that wouldn't cause it to die all of a sudden.

moore020
01-20-2011, 02:52 PM
Any more ideas on the problem are appreciated. How intensive is the starter clutch to replace?

2001400exrida
01-20-2011, 05:10 PM
bump start it and see if it runs. if it starts and runs fine, you're good to go, just buy a new starter.

if it doesn't start u need to check the timing chain.

PaRedneckRiders
01-20-2011, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by moore020
Any more ideas on the problem are appreciated. How intensive is the starter clutch to replace?
If you mean expensive, it shouldnt be much depending on what you need.
If all it did was snap the bolts off in it (had an old raptor do this alot) You just need the bolts, but they could have snaped due to the inside of the gear that sits on the shaft being worn. If thats the case you will need the gear and the bolts.
Check this out and it may show what you need but again that wouldnt have made it stall.
The cam chain thing would have made it stall and spin really fast but i would think the chain would bind up and stop it from spining
http://www.babbittsonline.com/honda-motorcycle-parts#AssemblyPartsSearch[/ url]|model_QKb7W2OW8ytsoMc*7h2drg==|assembly_Aw4vP OgM2b2XfxE94WArCw==|brand_LFDriqBLRpxfKL20*PVxPQ==

PaRedneckRiders
01-20-2011, 05:40 PM
That link is not working let me try a different one.

Try this one

http://www.toms-cycle.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=166188&category=ATVs&make=HONDA&year=2001&fveh=3829