PDA

View Full Version : actual HP comparison

JayJohnson
01-20-2011, 02:16 PM
I have been doing a ton of reading on all the 450's out at the moment as I will be buying 2 between now and april. I have read tons of reviews on the LTR's and YFZR's with dyno results of HP gains from mods and so forth.

I have yet to see any dyno/hp results from mods on the honda. Several dyno tests show the LTR and YFZR in the high 40's low 50's for hp after a pipe/efi controller/airbox mod. I read one add saying the honda was reaching just over 40 hp with mods. Thats seems like a huge gap from the others. Does anyone have any info on what the hondas are putting out cam/jetted/pipe/airfiltered ?

Thanks in advanced. Just an FYI I do more dune riding then track but like to dabble on the MX/track as well.

mhewitt
01-22-2011, 08:11 AM
the 06-09 comes with right at 41hp stock, with hrc kit it bumps it up to 49hp

JayJohnson
01-24-2011, 01:03 AM
Cool thanks for the info.

89trx250r
01-24-2011, 06:06 PM
I was actually talking to Dave from eastcoastatv about this maybe a month ago and he told me they have gotten the most power from the honda motors more so then any of the other 2(ltr,yfz) also i know this may sound retarted but in one of the atv 24/7's they show a clip where creamer is talking about what a beast uppermans bike is and how he cant touch him...

JayJohnson
01-31-2011, 11:28 AM
I am so torn on this. I remember how beat my arms used to get riding my Banshee in the dunes. That thing came on and hit hard tiring out the arms quick.

I have read alot of articles stating that the new EFI YFZR is so smooth you can ride it all day with little fatigue from the power and throttle response.

I was so hoping that Honda would have released a new EFI quad. The local honda dealer has 1 09 left white with the orange frame which I love. My wife told me to get one honda and one yamaha but I would prefer to get 2 of the same for parts purposes and what not.

I have a CRF450R dirt bike and that has insane power and arm pump potential haha!

hrc450er
01-31-2011, 01:30 PM
want to trade wifes? lol i would get one of both i like having diff things to ride

JayJohnson
01-31-2011, 02:11 PM
Lol wife swap! I used to have a 99 and 00 Banshees. She rides but is not agressive. She told me she will ride what ever I get her. She hasnt had a chance to sit on a honda. She did like the new YFZ450R.

Its nice having 2 of the same so I can buy stuff for mine if I dont like it or want another mod I just kick it down to her quad haha. One of each though is tempting. Then I can do my own testing/comparisons.

RATPACK Z400
02-01-2011, 05:58 AM
They did a 450 shoot out and dynoed the 450,s look up online and check it out very interesting ! there only for race ready wideth quads KTM,suzuki,Yam,Can,MXR. suzuki looks impressive and beats all exept KTM(1hp) with only cherrybomb !

DEVINF450R
02-01-2011, 08:52 PM
It's very very very hard to beat HP numbers from a Honda. Hondas are notorious for being way tamed down and also notorious for being reliable.

FYI: I've raced and owned, KFX450, ltr450, 450r (04/05,06+). 06+ hondas by far the best IMO

89trx250r
02-02-2011, 02:55 AM
^ pretty much proves my point

RATPACK Z400
02-02-2011, 08:31 AM
I just think thats all in people,s opion,s ! there just alot of honda builder compared to other builders(cuss of 250r,s) and your gonna get that bias towards honda ! I think suzuki,yami, have also got good motor aswell. I think for performance out the box suzuki has it for the money ! If honda would make racequad it would take top honors IMO ! it,s subframe needs lowering,itneeds to be 50in stock then it would be contender for top spot IMO but after riding stock 450r I was not happy ,was like riding a raptor(top heavy),then I rode yfz450 was just too stiff and seat hard like bike, then sat on LTR450 and rode it and was very impressed with total package and it only had a cherrybomb on it .If i where you i would get your girl to ride as many 450,s as she can before she decides cause it would suck if she gets something then rides something else and says I like this alot better!

the4billa
02-03-2011, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by mhewitt
the 06-09 comes with right at 41hp stock, with hrc kit it bumps it up to 49hp

i dont know where you read this but that is false

DEVINF450R
02-03-2011, 02:04 PM
On our Dyno, 34-35hp was the hp range for all stock 450s we have put on there... maybe KTM was around 38-39, but its still hard to beat the HP numbers a Honda can post unless you spend big $$ on the other brands. IMO the only downside to a Honda is the Tranny issues (which are no where near as bad as LTR's) and the frame breaks if you spit on it, so if you plan to race, you are gonna have to tear it down to the frame, gusset it, and pc it. But I have seen 15:1 compression Honda motors go untouched for 90-100hrs and change out the piston and go back out again :macho

the4billa
02-04-2011, 12:16 PM
yea that sounds a little better, and thats not true about the frame i went a whole season on a bone stock frame but i had good suspension and had a small crack on one side when i tore it down, not bad for beating it everyweekend

RATPACK Z400
02-04-2011, 01:21 PM
So why doe,s everybody else,s dyno read 37-39 on the 450,s but your 34-35 that says to me your is low ! Ive seen plently of dynos and never seen that low in #,s on 450,s KTM are maybe 1hp off the others . Look at all the shoot-out and the dyno results then look at dyno result on here there about the same.

RATPACK Z400
02-04-2011, 01:53 PM
Heres one off the shoot out,s without honda result all quads piped but suzuki/ktm have stock exhaust ! only added cherrybomb ,yfzr450 has gfzr kit,can-am pipe/pro-gram/pink wire cut,mxr full pipe,filter, ktm stock !

IRISH-RACER-14
02-04-2011, 02:02 PM
does the hrc kit really add that much hp

DEVINF450R
02-04-2011, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by RATPACK Z400
So why doe,s everybody else,s dyno read 37-39 on the 450,s but your 34-35 that says to me your is low ! Ive seen plently of dynos and never seen that low in #,s on 450,s KTM are maybe 1hp off the others . Look at all the shoot-out and the dyno results then look at dyno result on here there about the same.

there are lots of Dynos and the types of software/drum combinations that are out there. I have seen a bike read 60hp one place and read low 50's somewhere else. Walsh's dyno said Gibsons KFX was only pumping out 49hp. 49hp doesnt pull consistent National pro-am holeshots... Im not saying hp is ALL that matters in the holeshot (reaction time, starting technique, gearing, suspension, tires etc...), but my point is, some dynos read tight.

I hear Dasa's dyno reads quite high

DEVINF450R
02-04-2011, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by RATPACK Z400
Heres one off the shoot out,s without honda result all quads piped but suzuki/ktm have stock exhaust ! only added cherrybomb ,yfzr450 has gfzr kit,can-am pipe/pro-gram/pink wire cut,mxr full pipe,filter, ktm stock !

Most builders do hp vs rpm, not hp vs speed

CRE Performance
02-04-2011, 07:33 PM
Real dynos are for tuning, not bragging rights.

On my dyno, I havent seen a truly stock 450 of any kind break 30 with dyno tires. They are all between 28-30. My dyno is also a mustang eddy current dyno that employs a strain gauge to actually measure torque instead of calculating it like dynojet inertia and brake dynos. For comparisons sake, if they want to do a dyno shootout, they need to leave everything alone completely! Not give this one a pipe, that one a cherry bomb, that one with a full exhaust....they should do it untouched.

In closing, I have dyno'd almost every kind of quad from stock to numerous builds, and its gonna be hard for any of them to beat an HRC kitted honda with a simple pipe or plug in device. And dollar for dollar as far as the motors are concerned.....nobody out there even comes close to touching the Honda.

CRE Performance
02-04-2011, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by DEVINF450R
Most builders do hp vs rpm, not hp vs speed

Thats a fabricated graph if Ive ever seen one. It doesnt hold water what so ever. As as far as graphing RPM or MPH, the pull is the same, you can graph it how ever you please.

DEVINF450R
02-04-2011, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by CRE Performance
Thats a fabricated graph if Ive ever seen one. It doesnt hold water what so ever. As as far as graphing RPM or MPH, the pull is the same, you can graph it how ever you please.

I know that you can graph it However you want lol... Just most engine builders i know care more about power in certain rpm ranges... Speed is a non factor for most occasions but then again im exposed to mainly mx and TT engines.

RATPACK Z400
02-05-2011, 09:14 AM
The graph is from one of the two shops that helped in the shoot-out GT Thunder/RC motorsports yes it not fair to put this on that and not put that on this but if they put pipe on suzuki/KTM and tuned them they would make the others look bad IMO for sure ! Google atv 450 shoot-out pt 1-2 and read what they do and how they test them with c-pro riders very good read ! only wish they put kawi/honda in but they aren,t race ready !