PDA

View Full Version : 90cc Class Changes - AMA/ATVA Nationals

Logan #34's Dad
01-20-2011, 10:01 AM
No more 70cc in the 90cc classes.

http://www.atvmotocross.com/articles/2711_competition-bulletin-1

Attention All ATV Motocross Championship Competitors

Morgantown, W.Va. (January 20, 2011) - Due to recent rider and industry input, there has been a change in the National class structure. The ATVPG has elected to change the cc limit in the Girls (8-15) Production, 90 Production (8-15), 90 Automatic Sr. (12-15) and Jr. (8-11), 90 CVT (8-15) and 90 CVT Limited (8-15) classes from 60-91cc 2-Stroke to 71-90cc 2-stroke.

The change in engine displacement for the 90 classes allows for more parity in this very popular division.

For questions or comments email: info@atvmotocross.com.

The 2011 AMA ATV Motocross Championship will kick off February 26-27 at Aonia Pass MX in Washington, Ga., with Pro class racing starting at 1 p.m. Saturday, supported by 37 amateur classes throughout Saturday and Sunday. For more information, please visit www.atvmotocross.com.

Logan #34's Dad
01-20-2011, 10:13 AM
No R/T, Malossi Team, Polini 70cc allowed. Hmmmmm. Whoever cried to the ATVPG - COWARD! :p

This rule does not affect us anymore BUT....... :confused:

THARNESS
01-20-2011, 10:44 AM
All I can say is "WOW". Someone should be ashamed of themselves.

Logan #34's Dad
01-20-2011, 11:31 AM
What's next...... no 400's in the 450 class? :D

THARNESS
01-20-2011, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Logan #34's Dad
What's next...... no 400's in the 450 class? :D

Not until someone win's on one. Then lookout.

jandjracing
01-20-2011, 02:38 PM
Must have been too many entries in the 90 classes. Is it wise to weed out some of the people that are trying to race multiple classes with one machine? Does not seem like the move to make in this economy.

thequadfather+2
01-20-2011, 03:18 PM
I am not here to fuss about it either way. This was a pretty heated discussion last year and it doesnt do anything but cause hard feelings but if you are thinking about pulling more riders and wanting to get new riders.....12--90cc CVT quads went home on saturday last year at Pell City. 17--90cc CVT quads went home on Saturday at Lorettas. We want to run 90CVT....so we built a 90 CVT to run in that class. There are several classes to choose from for both a 70 and 90, why do the 70 guys keep wanting to run in 90CVT?

BTW, I have a 2009 DRR 70 and a 2006 Cobra 70ss, I just dont see the big deal.

It just seems that sending the 90CVT riders home early to make room for a good 70 rider in the 90 class is NOT the best thing to do for growing the sport.

Pro's and Con's to both sides I guess, just an opinion.:ermm:

nutech
01-20-2011, 04:31 PM
Was the 70cc spanking some of the 90cc with 20cc less? Only good thing about it, will save some of us on tissues.

quadrider79
01-20-2011, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by nutech
Was the 70cc spanking some of the 90cc with 20cc less? Only good thing about it, will save some of us on tissues.

I know DJ Bassani ran his 70 in the 90 class the last two races the finished 2nd both times. VERY IMPRESSIVE. So if you have a great 70 it will run with alot of 90's.

I had my son run his 70 in a 90 class at a local race and he beat some pretty fast TWO FAST kits.

thequadfather+2
01-20-2011, 07:40 PM

Think you are missing the point....

"The change in engine displacement for the 90 classes allows for more parity in this very popular division."

This means they would like to see more 90 CVT's in the 90CVT class.

All the chest thumping aside...Its not about a 90 getting beat by a 70. DJ Bassani, Logan Dusenbury and Jordan Digby could smoke half the 90 class on a good running 50.

I think the attempt is to fill the 90CVT class with 90CVT's...

nutech
01-21-2011, 05:35 AM
New to the youth racing. Won't the same riders race both classes if they have the money and be more competitive?

Logan #34's Dad
01-21-2011, 06:53 AM
New to the youth racing. Won't the same riders race both classes if they have the money and be more competitive? .

That's part of the problem. Now if you drive all over the east coast ($$$$) following the series and can only afford one quad that is a 70cc cvt machine, you can't run it against the EXACT SAME 90cc cvt machines. So now if you want to make the trip worth your while, they have now forced the parents to build a new $10,000 cvt (that is EXACtLY the same) to compete in another class. IMO, it just is not worth all the travel expense to follow the series and only race one class.

And for those who are about to say "the cvt's are allowed to race in more than just on class" - well, there is a push from one of the "big shots" to not allow a 70cvt to run in the mod class too! That's crazy! A mod class is a run what-cha-brung class imo.
Amapg should understand, their core followers are the families that are spending a small fortune and trying to earn a Championship and follow the series. NOT the 2 or 3 local racers that show up. If my rider is a 70cvt racer, it just is not worth following the series to race one race in one class, it just cost to much to only be there for one class.

djdfairchild
01-21-2011, 08:15 AM
i agree with logan#34'sdad. let the kids ride. the more the kids get on the track the better riders they are going to be in the future. way to much money spent to try an limit what classes are run. your still going to see the best 70 riders in the 90 class, all your doing is making the parents spend more on another quad. and i don't see the harm in having to many riders in the 90 class, so if you have 50 riders run heats and move the best on. I think that would be much more fun for the riders.

LT80
01-21-2011, 08:28 AM
Hmmm, I agree w/rocky to travel like we do, alot like to run 2 classes.
Altho,
"i don't see the harm in having to many riders in the 90 class,"
Having 1 moto and a LCQ moto and a trip home sucks too.

IMO, if the real 90cc machines are filling the gate then the rule change makes sence.

If I was president <G> I'd let em run but make it so nobody goes home.
(ex: 36 riders=2 gates of 18 and each gate is considered a class.)

hanker
01-21-2011, 08:30 AM
I'm sooooo glad we race the EDT Nationals.

djdfairchild
01-21-2011, 09:29 AM
"i don't see the harm in having to many riders in the 90 class,"
Having 1 moto and a LCQ moto and a trip home sucks too.

IMO, if the real 90cc machines are filling the gate then the rule change makes sence.

If I was president I'd let em run but make it so nobody goes home.
(ex: 36 riders=2 gates of 18 and each gate is considered a class.)

i've never ran nationals, so maybe i don't see the whole picture. but whats the difference between 1 moto with an lcq then going home if your not fast enough, or splitting it into 2 classes and running 2 motos? you still had the same track time if you were slower and if your faster you get 1 more moto. like i said maybe i'm seeing it all wrong.

Ride1Rob
01-21-2011, 09:50 AM
The way to get rid of this problem... Make an "Open" CVT class. 0-90cc's and let the cards fall where they may. From the looks of it participation wouldn't be an issue. Then all the kids can have the opportunity to run another race ;) . Just my .02

jake55
01-21-2011, 10:08 AM
We have never raced a national so maybe i should not comment, but..... i can say this, the local track we run does not have a 70 class, it jumps from the 50 to the 90 with only one year age wise overlapping. that was a huge jump in power for my kid to adapt to. maybe instead of limiting the cc size in the 90 class they could not overlap the ages of the riders as much. i think it overlaps 4 years now.
i might be missing the whole point of the topic, but it's just a thought.

hanker
01-21-2011, 10:16 AM
The 8-15years old on a 90cc just doesn't sound right. Most kids at 15 are already riding 450's

quadrider79
01-21-2011, 10:38 AM
I wander if the ATVA is gonna make it that you have to run 90cc engine cases or just so that your engine is 71-90cc.

LT80
01-21-2011, 11:22 AM
"whats the difference between 1 moto with an lcq then going home if your not fast enough, or splitting it into 2 classes and running 2 motos?"
My reasoning for that is: It kids. IMO there is no reason to send a child home. Let them race the weekend and associate with others.
I think any child would rather say that he raced a national and finished the race as opposed to "I didn't qualify".

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.
My point is: I think all could be happy.
I'm not saying my thoughts are 100%. :)

Anyways, back onto the 71-90cc rule change

COLTBNME
01-21-2011, 11:56 AM
Damn does this mean no more 70cc Cobras in the 90 production classes. IMO "its about time". If you have a rider that can compete with the 90cc riders than that is the class or classes they should probaley be in anyways. Only the mini classes seem to have this problem, you should race the class or classes that you have advanced too, not jump back and forth into classes that are less advanced than the rider, just to have an easy win!

Proud MOM of Colton Kellum #484

tyler70t
01-21-2011, 12:06 PM
I'm glad we race locally, seems like too much goes on @ these Nationals that isn't for the good of the KIDS. They are there to race and have fun, if they win, they win. In our area we do whatever it takes to get the kids on the track and have fun. If they break in Moto 1 and can't get fixed in time for moto 2 then guess what, someone's going to lend a quad to that racer so they can race. If they beat the person who lent one of their quads then so be it, they all got to race. At the end of the day all fathers and racers are happy and we see them again at the next race. I understand that there is a lot more $$$$$ spent to go to these Nationals, so that is even more reason to make sure all the KIDS get to race!!
.This is just my opinion and how we handle things @ our local races.

mushinracing
01-21-2011, 12:20 PM

mini racer #39
01-21-2011, 12:26 PM
I have fought this out with Rocky for years...70cc vs 90cc. My son Erik has 3 race bikes and Rockys son has 2. Both Rocky and I built these bikes for one class each and they are exactly the same except for engine cc. Yes it sucks to build 2 or 3 race bikes but thats what we did. My question is the rule was changed last year and seemed to work out well for everyone...why change it back after only one season ??? Who wanted it changed, I would not think it was the promoters...why would they even care as long as the gates were full. We have no fight in this anymore so this is just a simple question.
Thanks Jerry Havert

Logan #34's Dad
01-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Well Jerry - Here we are again eh? LOL. You can bet that not enough people complained to the promoters group that would cause them to make this change. SO, there now is one individual that has the type of pull to get it changed. You can figure it out on your own. Just my opinion and I don't have any evidence to officially name names so I won't. But I'm sure it benefits his rider.

My biggest issue with the rule is: the cvt quads are exactly the same except the 70 is at a disadvantage due to the engine being less power than a 90. I could understand the crying if the 70 cvt quad was a superior machine to the 90 cvt but its not. If a 70 outperforms my 90 to the point that we don't make the main event on Sunday, then I need to stay home and my rider needs to practice and I need a new engine builder.

I like the idea someone had about not overlaping the ages. That would solve the problem. Once a kid ages out of the class - he has to move up - if he wants to run an underpowered machine, good luck.

rookiewrench
01-21-2011, 02:22 PM
Is it a question of the Cvt or the Cobra 70 single speed that people are the most concerned about.. A cobra 70 would only be able to run one class also unless are the 70 cvt and 70 cobra SS able to run in the 70 Mob class. Do people complain if one is to enter a cvt of a single speed in the mod class? I do think that people may be worried about some riders getting a shot at a championship on their 70 quads if they were to enter the 90 production jr class(digby,bassani)

It sounds rediculas that one person can have that kind of influance over system...Rocky, I say mention the name and let them answer if they are or are not doing it for reasons only known to you and Him/her. I would hope that the person would not be doing this for selfish reasons for their rider but do something for the betterment of the sport.

I guess I am glad that my son is on a 90 mod and supermini, Less drama but this is fun to read

COLTBNME
01-21-2011, 02:22 PM
Hi Quadnana!

I am pretty sure the ATVA in a PRODUCTION class would make you run the correct cases for the motor, otherwise it would be considered a mod. Just my opinion.

Proud Mom of Colton Kellum #484

thequadfather+2
01-21-2011, 02:40 PM
70 CVT guys have three classes to choose from. 70cvt, 70ss and 70 mod, Dont use, "one class to choose from", as an excuse.

90 cvt guys have 4 to choose from, 90cvt, 90 mod, 90 auto jr/sr and 90 production.

My point is you can still build a 70cvt quad and run three classes. It's a little tougher to run up front in 70 mod and little johnny might not do so well

"cvt open"....70-90cc's

:devil:

Logan #34's Dad
01-21-2011, 03:19 PM
We entered Logan in the 70SS two years ago and you would have thought we punched all the dad's in the face! They at least had a valid arguement about our transmission being variable.
If the powers that be have it their way, cvt's will not be allowed in the mod classes. I'll bet thats the next bulletin. Someone wants it to be a shifter class only....... So then will it be worth following the circus to every race for the 70cvt guys? Especially if you fall behind in the points.
Again - NOONE CARES WHAT YOU RUN - UNTIL YOU BEAT THEM.
I do like the idea of not over-lapping the ages.

Steven623
01-21-2011, 04:07 PM
At times I was happy for the way the rules were for 60-90cc. During the season we had trouble with my sons 90 and I was able to use the 70 in the 90 class. It was tough to keep one quad to run 4 motos though. It was nice to be able to use the 70 quad though, if not he wouldn't have been able to keep his points up.Now I'm not to sure if I like having the rules back to 71-90cc's??

mini racer #39
01-21-2011, 04:42 PM
Rocky cant name names on here because the fall out would not be good for his family and the growth of our sport. Believe me I know no matter if its true or not. Rocky I think I know who were talking about. And I can tell you our 70cc always was faster than our 90cc. I like the cvt open class and the age idea better then the cc limit if you have a 70 and 90 and one breaks run the other... Jerry Havert

quadnana7
01-21-2011, 05:46 PM
Hi Donna,
I've been reading this post because As The World Turns got cancelled and this one is quite entertaining. As far as the engine cases, it could make for another thread. I believe what Quadrider 79 is referring to is boring out 70 cases as the internals on the 70 are smaller and many engine builders like the smaller tolerances compared to the 90 cases. On the other hand, the same can be done by use of epoxy which can be more time consuming. I guess technically, it could be protested, but unless someone splits the cases and measures against stock specs, it may be hard to tell the difference. That would open a whole new can of worms with all the different cvt engine builders. So, let everyone keep posting as I enjoy listening to everyone's point of view.

Logan #34's Dad
01-21-2011, 05:47 PM
You know that if I was 100% sure who or what shop pushed this through I would name names. As I've said before - I don't care who likes me but want everyone too. If you do something - man/woman up! For better or worse.

apexpilot
01-21-2011, 06:56 PM
I wonder how big this issue really is?
1st, I wonder how many of the 90cc riders that were put on the trailer at Pell City- Loretta's were put out by 70cc machines?
I would really like to know the answer to this.
2nd, I wonder how many people ran the 70 and 90 class on the same quad consistently?
I mean race after race both classes all year on one 70 cc quad. I can think of one, but I'm new and ran the 70 classes only so there must be allot more to stir this kind of fuss.
3rd, I wonder If just one person or even just a few people can manipulate the rule book in EITHER or any direction, what is the future of this sport? (boy you talk about a can of worms!!) I really do NOT NOT NOT want an answer for this one!!
So I wonder if this is a big deal, or just something to fuss about ?

d1g888
01-24-2011, 07:01 AM
I'm sorry to all the people out there that only have one 4 wheeler and can't ride but one class now. All this happened this year because of my son. I can't help he puts it on the line every time he races. All of you that wanted this done because of my son riding a 70cc better hope like hell he doesn't learn how to shift a 90 auto cobra. Because if he does what are you going to complain about then. Just look at how fast Corey Heath was this last year on his 90 auto cobra and when he was on no one could touch him not even my son.

Thanks
Bigdaddy

p.s. The rich hate it when the pour guys kid comes in and puts a spankin on there kid. They think they can buy everything. I've learned in life having a great family and great friends is better than anything else and you don't buy that. I'm going to shut up now. LOL

thequadfather+2
01-24-2011, 08:50 AM
I do agree with Stan, the Cobra 70ss guys are really hurt by this rule change.

Stan, is Jordan ok? I didnt notice the quad, David told me. How is it?

Logan #34's Dad
01-24-2011, 03:00 PM
So Stan, are you the one who requested the rule be changed back then??????

You CAN'T convince me that enough people complained to the powers that be that this one rule needed changed. There are only a few people/shops that care and are connected enough to make this happen.
1st, Hetrick
2nd, Mushin
3rd, ITP (Digby)
4th, MaximumRPM
5th, ?????

Logan #34's Dad
01-24-2011, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by d1g888
Just look at how fast Corey Heath was this last year on his 90 auto cobra and when he was on no one could touch him not even my son.

Thanks
Bigdaddy

I beg to differ.

mushinracing
01-24-2011, 06:56 PM
I know that 70 can race three classes .70cvt,70ss,70 mod,90 are a different machine that deserve there own class.we raced the 70 class and could not compete so we built a 90 and found we can comptete .Stan said Jordan can rock his 70 but Jordan has trouble with his ninety so that's the point I been trying to make. some riders are faster on there seventy than there 90 and some are faster on their 90 than there 70,these class are production classes and should have there own cc requirements the rules have been 71-90 cc since they been running nationals and have never had a problem with filling the gates.so why did they change it????well the reason is bull crap a man did not have his 90 motor built and had his buddy change the rules at the track. How fair is that????a rule change at the track. So why don't we just quit crying the 70 have 3 classes to run and you can only run 3 classes the 90 have 5 classes there are more riders at the nationals that ride 90 than 70 I mean hardly any of the 70 classes fill there gates.or maybe they know they can sand bag a championship in a 90 class so who's really trying to help there rider.

Logan #34's Dad
01-24-2011, 07:22 PM
So will the 70cvt be allowed in the 70SS as they were last year? What about 70 mod too?

Ride1Rob
01-24-2011, 07:23 PM
If a kid on a 70 beats a kid on a 90 how is that sand bagging? Maybe I missed somethin' :ermm: . If you don't wanna get beat by a kid on a smaller cc bike stay home and run the local series. It's a National race and if you're not fast enough you don't deserve to run with the big dogs. In the dirtbike series you have to qualify to run not just show up and sign up from what I understand. I really think the correct thing to do is try to get AMA to offer the open class as an option to this problem. My .02 is that would have been the proper way to fix the problem.

Logan #34's Dad
01-24-2011, 07:33 PM
Thats my thoughts exactly! The two quads are identical minus the engine cc. There is no reason a 70cvt should not be allowed in the 90cvt class.
The best way to solve this is to not overlap the ages.

Steven623
01-24-2011, 08:25 PM
I remember a few years ago a company came out with a mini quad that was built more like a race mini quad. After it came out, rules were changed because of it. They added more classes so that not every kid had to race one . Now it seems more like its the other way around? Seems more like some do not want the cvt's in with them?I could be wrong, but I thought the production classes etc... were meant for certain quads meeting the rules. For example, one of the classes allows cobras with auto clutches. That to me means a quad with auto clutch and several gears which allows it to go much faster right? I think they have six gears?. Tells me when they get used to shifting they are going to be hard to beat. I myself wouldn't be running against that with a cvt. Well maybe just for fun a few times, but not to win any championships. They have a mod class which I always thought were for shifters or quad with engines from bikes and aftermarket frames etc... I just always thought that the cvt classes were for cvt's. I believe that it should be 0-70cvt and 0-90cvt, that allows guys with cvt's to run additional classes as long as they are in the age brackets. If we were to run in with the other classes it would be for classes that weren't meant for them to compete in? We have so many classes, because we have so many different quads used to compete and everyone wants there kid to win, so why would we have to run another class? I thought that the production class etc... were meant for cobras or hondas. I think there is alot more cvt's in there than any other quads not? I do not know why that is either? Maybe someone can explain that to me?

mushinracing
01-24-2011, 09:14 PM
Rocky you should have been a lawyer not a cop.we all have different views on this matter and we will never always agree.a lot of people on this thread are great people that I would be honored to share a camp fire with. All were doing is destroying the sport we love so much . Every kid has a class they Can compete in fairly and we should be great full for that.There are other atv sports dying out do you want this to be the next.So if you think I'm a coward for helping change something that should have not been changed ,then I believe your a very confused man.Cowards fear me,And cheaters do also next time when ya come to my rig and need something for your son to race, don't worry I will help,because I refuse to let you have an excuse for losing, Ive helped your son beat mine but I didn't mean too,,,,but I will always help a fellow competitor in bad times or good,that my friend is what noble men do,not cowards.read my quote at the bottom of this page that should some it up.
Sw.

d1g888
01-24-2011, 09:27 PM
Rocky you no me i all ways start stuff. LOL I wasnt talking about your son in the other post i was talking about kids just on Cobra quads. Sorry

what is everyone going to say when Jordan Digby rolls in to round one on his new 75cc single speed. Thanks to someone that saw this and decided to help little Jordan out.

Logan #34's Dad
01-24-2011, 10:06 PM
The coward comment comes from being afraid to lose to a lesser machine and obviously someone is or they would not have spearheaded the move to change the rule back to what it once was. Or maybe it's an attempt to narrow the field so a rider can win a championship. Hmmmm.
Stan, I never thought you were talkin about Logan. Once that happens you'd know I'm not happy - I'd probably be banned. Lol.
As I stated many times, if the machines are the same then let them race. I kinda get the argument for the other classes but cvt vs cvt, I don't get it.
This is not my fight anymore because Logan has aged out of the 70 class but I'll give my 2 cents.

mini racer #39
01-25-2011, 03:58 AM
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/popcorn.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

edwardsp&b
01-25-2011, 06:22 AM
Hey guys think of it this way.....32 more days till we line em up!

Really though, we need to all get on the same page. I have read the 4 pages or so of this post, and what kept coming to my mind is the people that posted that they wouldnt come to Nat's because of all this drama. Thats not what this sport needs guys. And I know some of those that say they wouldnt race Nat's because of this and that are just talking trash, but some really are being drove away because of the complaining.

As far as the rule change, I wish they would just stick to something. Whichever way they may go, just stay that way. And please dont ever let us show up to a track and sign up, and then change the rules. That wasnt right.

As far as the 70 class goes I kinda had the same thoughts as Steve. I thought the 70 mod was for shifters and dirtbike motors in aftmkt frames. I thought the 70cvt was for cvt's, and 70SS for cobras. I built a 70 mod this year and still have our 70cvt.

I wouldnt throw my 70 cvt into a 2nd class unless I had too. We have a hard enough time getting practice and 2 motos out of the cvt, I wouldnt want try to get 4 motos out of it every weekend. I would like to get some shuteye at the tracks without working all night on the damn things.
As always these are just my thoughts, please dont get pissed at what I say.
Bryan

Ride1Rob
01-25-2011, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by edwardsp&b

I have read the 4 pages or so of this post, and what kept coming to my mind is the people that posted that they wouldnt come to Nat's because of all this drama. Thats not what this sport needs guys. And I know some of those that say they wouldnt race Nat's because of this and that are just talking trash, but some really are being drove away because of the complaining.
Bryan

Good post! For someone such as myself I'd love the opportunity to let Jam run a Nat. But for the sake of my marriage and my sanity I won't drive 10-15 hours to make it to the closest race lol.

We're fortunate to have awesome local facilities to run in. But we've had issues with Jams Typhoon as well. If it weren't for the owner of Dade City we would not be racing anymore. It definitely broke my spirit and I think it broke Jams as well. On a day when we were heading to DC to watch the races he told me he didn't want to race quads anymore. Said he'd rather race dirtbikes. Jam has ridden a dirt bike only once in his life a few years ago and he crashed. He told me back then he never wanted to get on one again. So you tell me what is driving him away from quads? After I advised the owner of DC of our plans because we hadn't been showing up in the new shifter class his comments were, "Buddy, that's exactly where you and Jam belong!" " I know you're tired of the drama and you won't have to deal with that on a bike." So out of respect for putting together this new class we'll finish up this season and move on to 2 wheels full time in 2011. Basically what I'm trying to say is the drama does drive parents/kids away from the sport. And I've heard many times it's mostly only with the mini quads :ermm: .

d1g888
01-26-2011, 07:01 AM
i hate to tell yall this but the dirt bike side is alot worse the the quad side. Been there done that.

lem dad
01-26-2011, 07:11 AM
We have been on both sides and bike side is a lot less drama I once had a track owner tell me that he hated mini quads he said you could never make the dads happy reading some of these post I understand what he was saying Also just because someone races nationals does not mean they are better my boy has raced national riders some are very fast and some could not win a local parents have money to put them there not always because they are the best

mmsoup
01-26-2011, 10:42 AM
Too many people living vicariously through their kids. I can be guilty of it myself.
Have to look out for putting my dreams, desires and goals on my kids. They have their own.

This is an opportunity to teach kids how to compete and how to interact responsibly with others but a good number of our parents aren't equipped with the necessary tools themselves.......

One important lesson though is to finish what you start and accept whatever happens as what is meant to be.
Come on out to GNCC's we have the odd issue but by and large it's a positive community.

LT80
01-26-2011, 11:55 AM
"but by and large it's a positive community"
And I think the mx community is positive as a whole.
We just have to live thru a "johhny come lately" every now and then.

#404's Dad
01-26-2011, 12:16 PM
All the Rule Changes we've been through in 4-5 years of Racing whether it be Local TT, Local MX or National TT or National MX I have NEVER heard my kid b*t*h one time, he just follows the rules and goes out and has fun no matter what!!

edwardsp&b
01-26-2011, 12:20 PM
Digby is right on that. The dirtbike side is way, way worse around our neck of the woods. Hell, we showed up to a dirtbike race the end of last year that had quads racing too. Ben was getting booed by a parent while out on the track. Just because of him being on a quad and riding fast. I should have chased him down and drug him face first across the whoops, but I'm trying to calm my temper and be a good person so I didnt. LOL

Another point I'd like to make is that the Nat's arent some horrible experience like some make it out to be. Sure, some people get on this forum and ***** and moan, but I have never had any run in with these guys. For the most part these people posting are really good people and would probably be there to help you at the race if you needed it. When you throw in the cost it takes to run these Nat's people get a little overexcited about some stuff and you cant blame them for that.

The Nat's have been an experience that we as a family will never forget. If you race quads or have kids that like racing or riding, just show up to see what its about. Bring the family and make it a weekend you will have a good time.
Bryan

jake55
01-26-2011, 12:51 PM
there is no difference at all. The bike guys hate the quads busting down the berms, the quad guys hate that they have to wait till the end of the day to race, unless it's real muddy then they get to go first to blow the mud off the track. One group just dont like the other and it goes both ways. trust me on this one, my boy ran 4 classes in 2010. 2 bike classes and 2 quad classes. We pit in the corner out of the way because we did not "fit in" with the quad or bike guys. Dont get me wrong, they all help when you need it, but when it comes intermission and it's time to relaxe and b.s. with everyone, that's when you notice it, the bike guys kinda blow you off so you go over to the quad group and they blow you off also, so back to my corner pit and family i go, which is why i'm there in the first place, to spend the day with my family!! As far as drama goes, aint a bit different on either side. If your kid is in the middle or back of the pack, no one cares, if you kid starts running up front, here comes the drama. I'm guessing these are some of the reasons not many kids ride both.

Ride1Rob
01-26-2011, 01:30 PM
We for sure won't do both. He'll learn to putt around on the dirtbike here at home and do some local racing in Bartow. Then we'll do dirtbikes full time next year in DC.

Bryan, the guy that boo'd your son was an idiot. Him being a quad or bike guy wouldn't have changed that. There are parents like that that we have to deal with no matter what we choose to do in life. What I'm talking about is those that get upset and do what they can to harm the sport rather than help it. There's NO VALID reason that the 70's shouldn't be allowed to race against 90's. I've read all the arguments against it and still can't see a valid reason why it shouldn't be allowed. KTM runs a 350 in the 450 class for Christs sake. I don't see AMA changing the rules in that class. Just seems like there are those select few that damage the sport with some of their decisions when it doesn't benefit them rather than help it. With that being said on a personal experience there were a couple lobbying to get us kicked out of mod class in DC. We ran 6 months with no issues because Jam would get the doors blew off of him. As soon as he started competing the whispers started. Mind you Jam has never won a race in DC but I was told from by a major CVT parts/bike dealer that shifters shouldn't run with the cvt's. This same person made the statement to someone else that Jam would be racing by himself because they were gonna vote him out of the class. There were only a total of 4 bikes on the gate in that class mind you. I've met some great people in this sport that will bend over backwards to help anyone and use common sense in it all. But there are those that throw their power around at the track to try and change the sport for their own reasons. I've seen it and been on the short end of it 1st hand!

As for bike vs quads and the drama in both. The owner himself of Dade City told me the drama with the quads is worse. That's not saying there is no drama with the dirtbikes as I'm sure there is. But I'm sure he knows of all the issues that goes on with these classes and his dirtbikes aren't as bad.

thequadfather+2
01-26-2011, 02:23 PM
I havent seen any drama at the nats, but we are not up front...yet:D

All the drama I see happens during play time between motos.

I will be honest, we ride quads because thats what the kids want to ride, I dont give a rip what the dirt bike parents think about it. We expect to run last, we expect to be the minority at every local/regional event and I dont care what the track owner really thinks about us because as long as he's getting my money he wont say much....:eek:

The Alabama arenacross series is actually pretty good to the quad family.

I will not bow down or be apologetic for riding quads or running the nats, I enjoy it and the kids enjoy it and thats good enough for me. :blah:

jerkyboy
01-26-2011, 04:29 PM
Theres plenty of drama if you listen closely. Theres drama in all sports and its all caused by the parents. They think there child is the best instead of facing the truth that maybee there just a average rider. All the kids are intrested in is racing and playing with there friend inbetween motos. About the rules I think they should be 0-50 0-70 and 0-90. If little Billy on his 50 can beat little Joey on a 90, Joeys parents should be thinking twice about running the nationals and spend some of that race money on some riding lessons and not on more motor mods. This is called MX Racing not riding. Riding is somthing we do at home in the woods in our free time. Thats all I have Later.

THARNESS
01-26-2011, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by jerkyboy
Theres plenty of drama if you listen closely. Theres drama in all sports and its all caused by the parents. They think there child is the best instead of facing the truth that maybee there just a average rider. All the kids are intrested in is racing and playing with there friend inbetween motos. About the rules I think they should be 0-50 0-70 and 0-90. If little Billy on his 50 can beat little Joey on a 90, Joeys parents should be thinking twice about running the nationals and spend some of that race money on some riding lessons and not on more motor mods. This is called MX Racing not riding. Riding is somthing we do at home in the woods in our free time. Thats all I have Later.

AMEN!!!!!!

apexpilot
01-26-2011, 05:35 PM

PERFECT POST!

Ride1Rob
01-26-2011, 05:55 PM

+3 ;)

LT80
01-26-2011, 09:07 PM
Best reply yet!!!

d1g888
01-27-2011, 06:42 AM

This is what i've been saying for the last 5 years.

d1g888
01-27-2011, 06:54 AM
I want to make one thing clear and if someone doesn't agree then tell me. I try to make the sport better every year and i always help anybody if they need it. I have let people use our motors to race agianst my son at the nationals because i want the best kid to win not who has the most money. If someone on here thinks its all the bike and not my kid then call me and i will let your kid ride my sons national bike and i will put his practice motor in our other bike and make him ride it. If you want to no anything about our bikes just come ask i will tell you or show you or tell you who i use. I have daddy's all the time to call me and ask. I still think this is a great family sport and i have great friends at the track.

Stan "BIGDADDY" Digby
ITP Factory Support
662-891-7684

p.s. LT80 i'm not scaried to sign my name to this LOL (old times)

jake55
01-27-2011, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by d1g888
I want to make one thing clear and if someone doesn't agree then tell me. I try to make the sport better every year and i always help anybody if they need it. I have let people use our motors to race agianst my son at the nationals because i want the best kid to win not who has the most money. If someone on here thinks its all the bike and not my kid then call me and i will let your kid ride my sons national bike and i will put his practice motor in our other bike and make him ride it. If you want to no anything about our bikes just come ask i will tell you or show you or tell you who i use. I have daddy's all the time to call me and ask. I still think this is a great family sport and i have great friends at the track.

Stan "BIGDADDY" Digby
ITP Factory Support
662-891-7684

p.s. LT80 i'm not scaried to sign my name to this LOL (old times)

WOW! i know alot of dads will lend out a wrench or a part, but the whole quad, THAT'S COOL!!
Hope to get to meet you some day. (hopefully not asking to borrow a quad)

Ride1Rob
01-27-2011, 08:47 AM
Stan, we need a bike lol

COLTBNME
01-27-2011, 10:45 AM
Do all the 2 stroke Dads out there remember when the rule change was made in 2009 to exclude the HONDA TRX 90s running in the 90 auto classes? Remember that crap ?
We spent a butt load of money to have a TRX built nationally to run the 90 auto class, just to be told we couldnt since it no longer idled in neutral??!!! Stupid decision by the ATVA, all it did was let the Cobras new auto clutch dominate the 90 auto classes and then make the HONDA racers run in a new 90 production class. We prefer a 4 stroke and should not have been kicked out of the auto classes just so Cobras could dominate a class. Hell they were already dominating before the rule change. We dont race Nats anymore because of that type of politics in these closed door meetings. I can think of a lot of other parents who feel the same way. The people who make these rule decisions are to blame for some of the lack of participation in this sport. PERIOD!
Our family loves the ATV family and we miss them greatly, but the
bottom line is we spent a large amount of money to be denied a class that was always run with the same bike we had built.

Proud MOM of Colton Kellum #484
2007 Hetrick TRX125

rookiewrench
01-27-2011, 12:52 PM
All the parents that are upset with the rules I wonder is many of them ask their children what they think, without getting influenced by their parents. I would guess that many do not care. Now I do not have a dog in this fight but I did ask my son what he thought and his response was, he is more concerned about younger kids getting in the way of the faster kids coming through the pack if the faster ones get in a crash or get a bad start. So, that would lead me to beleive that the class should be me age restricted over cc restrictions. I guess many adults want their children to be a national champ but I look at it as the safeist class for my son to run is what he is going to run.
My son just loves to race and he loves the competition of the nationals because locally there has not been much for him. I know that he will probably never win a championship due to money and other interests but the politics of the nationals will not keep me away either. If you as a parent decide not attend the nationals because of the politics, than you and your family will never know the enjoyment that they bring to your youth rider.
Good luck to all and see you in Georgia!

Proud parent of
#97 Alec Miller
90 mod
supermini

Why does it not suprise me that Rocky would be the one to start this thread. jk

COLTBNME
01-27-2011, 02:32 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rookiewrench
If you as a parent decide not attend the nationals because of the politics, than you and your family will never know the enjoyment that they bring to your youth rider.
Good luck to all and see you in Georgia!

Proud parent of
#97 Alec Miller
90 mod
supermini

Thankfully we did get the oppurtunity to run Nats in 2008 before the rule change. And let me just say when you are spending 10 grand in four months you better make it count.
Class structures with age limits and cc limits play a big part in safety and fairness. No child wants to be let down from year to year with all these stupid rule changes. This year you can next year you cant ??!!! That is why we stopped racing Nats.

Proud Mom of Colton Kellum #484
2007 Hetrick TRX125

Hetrick Racing
02-02-2011, 06:56 AM
I have to say one thing.......................but i cant say it in front of women or on the net.

Everyone has a solution
where were the emails when they asked for them?

Where was the comments to Dean and crew at the races ?

when you stand by and wait for a change without
your input, then dont give it after the change

lets race: maybe we will remember the kids do this because they love it

Logan #34's Dad
02-02-2011, 07:41 AM
Rich, I think the problem is that no one knew the promoters were thinking about making any changes. People don't send emails or make contact with whoever Dean is if they don't believe or know things are being changed. In other words, if they like the way things are - they have no reason to give any input. I'd be willing to bet that very, very few even know how to contact the ATVPG.
How hard would it be to introduce a "proposed" change to the people via press release (as they do in "race bulletins") and request input from the people who ride in those classes. Then absorb the comments and decide if a change is needed. Its typical America - listen to the loud minority and change things to affect everyone.
As we can clearly see, this is a hot button issue - look at how many views this one post has....