PDA

View Full Version : How do I make sure my water & oil pump are working correctly? Suzuki QRnr 500 4x4

MiZZiE
01-19-2011, 10:07 PM
Can anyone please tell me how to check and make sure the oil and water/coolant pumps are both performing correctly? After changing the oil today I was checking and cleaning any spilled oil off I noticed the head got hot to the touch within a minute or so. and when I shut it off you could hear 'ticking' just like that of a car when it's turned off after it's been running for a while. I never heard this in the quad before, Not sure if that's normal or not this quad is new to me and I don't want to kill the motor if there is in fact something not working correctly.

'99 Suzuki Quadrunner 500 4x4 4-stroke any help appreciated! Thanks, Mike

HondaPohl
01-20-2011, 07:09 PM
I think your fine. The cylinder is going to get hot reguardless if its air or water cooled.The ticking is the most likely is exhaust cooling down after the heat is off of it.

MiZZiE
01-20-2011, 10:17 PM
Thanks for your reply.. Yea I'm probably just worrying too much haha. I'm going on a trail run tomorrow since we're getting some snow so I just wanted to make sure everything was in working order for peace of mind.

A new problem has arose today, I noticed when driving I hear a noise that sounds like that of a bad hub in a 4x4 truck, also when going through snow the front right is making a clicking sound, sounds like a CV but not sure how to check and confirm?

And if I can't fix it tomorrow will it be safe to go on a light trail run tomorrow or do I risk breaking something other than CV? I've had this trip planned all week I'd hate to miss it.. I'm not one to "jury rig" things but is it possible to disengage the front diff or remove universal joint so I only have rear wheel drive till the part comes in?

Thanks,
Mike

HondaPohl
01-21-2011, 02:57 PM
I would check the CV boots for rips or tears. If the CV is worn, you should be able to grab it and check for play. If you want to be safe you should be able to remove the bolts to each end of the CV shafts and remove them. I never owned a 4X4 quad but my father has King quad thats 14 years old and he never had issues with the CV's on his. Also check for sticks and **** that could have been caught in the wheels that could be making noise.

MiZZiE
01-21-2011, 04:22 PM
Thanks for your reply.. I realize this place is more sport quad people so I appreciate the help on my 4x4.. I've had sport quads! Just sold my Polaris 250 I just always wanted a utility quad so it was time to switch it up.. I'd still love a 400ex some day!haha

Anyways, Back on subject.. I jacked it up and had a friend hold the front tires tight and give it small amounts of throttle while I checked to see what's spinning and what's not.. The front drive shaft as said spins fine. The wheels don't spin under 4x4 power (they spin freely by hand so no stuck wheel bearings causing it). when throttle is applied and I hold the axle part coming out of the diff I can feel what feels like something is spinning inside of it stripped... I'm not sure if it's the cv i'm feeling that vibration in or it's in the diff and just vibrating the cv boot as well.

I'd take it apart and check but I don't even know what to look for. I hope it's not the differential!!!! I rather replace all the cv joints than a diff