PDA

View Full Version : how to avoid a stuck pivot bolt!!

DnB_racing
01-19-2011, 04:33 PM
Im writing this so people will understand whats happening at your pivot bolt!!!

first thing is a pivot has terrible continuity and as such makes a terrible connection to ground!!and the corrosion is caused by galvanic action, not dirt!!

so the first issue is the grounds Honda uses are small but they use several to make up for the size, the problem comes in when we make a race harness and remove the extra wires ...if you use a larger ground you will help this issue! that being said ground connections must be good!!
also like I said earlier the pivot makes a terrible connection, and there isn't anything to make it better, so instead of making it better make it a worse connection by using dielecrtc grease upon assembly!!electricity follows the easiest path!

so in conclusion the way to avoid the problem is by using a proper size ground, having good connections to ground ,and by taking the pivot point out of the path of the ground by using dielectric grease or some other type of non conductive lube..

if you use a stainless steel bolt instead of fixing grounds then they could actually corrode the rest of the parst worse then hardened steel because of there higher Anodic inex is higher making them more prone to corrode the parts that they come in contact with
******im just trying to help******IF ANY CARES!!!!

01-19-2011, 05:51 PM
i had to read that like 7 times it figure out what you were talking about... but i got it, makes sense i never thought of that before.

DnB_racing
01-19-2011, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Roostar 450
i had to read that like 7 times it figure out what you were talking about... but i got it, makes sense i never thought of that before. I was sure a cleaver guy like you would have goten it the first read through..

must of been the landing from that sweet superman indian air. fully extended, that made you have to read it more then once!!!

ya a stuck bolt is a sign of a bad ground!!

01-19-2011, 07:03 PM
It was the word "ground" i was stuck on. I was thinkin wtf ground lol. But than i got it. Make total sense now. And yeah ive had a few to many hits to the head in thos sport. Along with im sure many others in this sport.

How did you come up with this? What made you think of it?

DnB_racing
01-19-2011, 07:10 PM
Ive ran into this situation at work many times (im en electrician at a trash burning plant)and we deal with corrosion on a daily basis