PDA

View Full Version : 450r Axle?

KFXFreak
01-19-2011, 03:44 PM
So will a 450r axle fit in a 300ex carrier or not? Some say it will and some say it wont. I mean it will or it wont. Which is it? IF it does I will be getting one. Either way it is a cheaper way to get wider out back without bending or breaking stuff.

450r axle into 300ex carrier? If not I guess I will just get a swinger and carrier and an axle. Then I guess I could use the 450r brakes and all right? I would need a longer rear hose though I guess.

XR200R
01-19-2011, 06:06 PM
yeah it will fit, its too long, you need to make all kinda shims and ****. if you dont have access to a pro race shop dont do it.

i got a +4+2 oldschool dura blue im selling. $125 shipped.

KFXFreak
01-19-2011, 07:04 PM
What do you mean too long? The bearing area? Shims are no problem. I guess I would be better off to get a 450r swinger with carrier and axle and all the rest huh?

QuadCobbler
01-20-2011, 10:39 AM
The part he is saying is to long is the distance between the axle splines left to right. The bearing carrier on the 450 is wider than a 300ex bering carrier.

So, you would need to do one of two things, either shim the 450 axle in a 300ex carrier with part of a break rotor hub or you could shim the 450 bearing carrier in the 300ex swinger with two pieces of roughly 3 7/8" tubing maybe around 3/4" wide each and tack welded them to the original swinger on the ends. (theses numbers are just guessing). This would center the 450 carrier in the 300 swinger. Now the other issues is aligning the rear sproket with the front. You can either put all the shims or spacing to the right (brake side) which would offset the rear of the bike an inch or more. This would make the front and back aligned or you could shim the rear sproket towards the brake side to align the chain, making the both wheels the same disstance form the center out.

Any thing you do is going to require some spcers or shimes someware unless you get a 300ex aftermarket axle. even the 400ex swinger will need the sproket shimed to the right to align the chain.

KFXFreak
01-20-2011, 12:02 PM
Thanks for your insight cobbler. I am still trying to decide on what to do. Thinking about doing swinger and all. My 400ex front end will be here today so I need to figure out how I am going to widen the rear.

XR200R, If I had the money I would just buy your axle and be done with it. But I think it would be cool to be a little bit longer with a 400ex or 450r swinger.

QuadCobbler
01-20-2011, 02:30 PM
I must have just posted this same thing in another thred, but I have a 400ex swinger on my 300. The pivot sleve from the 300 will fit and pivot bolt so you can use all the same break setup. you dont need any shims on the pivot end of the swinger it is exactly the same. On the rear I useed the 300ex brake stay and break caliper. The 300ex brake stay is slightly bent outward incomparison to the 400ex break stay so if you reuse the 300ex one you can lay it on an anvil and flaten it with a B.F.H. (hammer) you will need one of those stupid hat looking washers from the 400es brake stay other wise your brake stay will rock back and forth when you go from forward to reverse. A 300ex break line will probly fit, not a 100 percent sure cause I had a free 400ex line. As far as the the chain alignment I used another rear sproket for a spacer to shim the sproket over. I cut all the teeth of at work in our parania (iron worker) This is how my bike has been for the last three years or so and it has worked great. As far as the linkage and shock goes it was the bigest pain in the A**, but was worth it in the end. I used a 250r shock and made my own rear link. One problem I have noticed though on a lot of 400ex axles the right hub starts to losen up after a while. Seems like the splines ware out. I put some Gorila glue on my splines last year and it has done good so far. So if you get a 400ex axle make sure the splines aren't trashed.

KFXFreak
01-20-2011, 02:39 PM
Hmm, What other shock could I use out back besides a 250r? Wont a 660 raptor work? What would you charge me for one of your homemade links? I just want to have all this figured out so when I run across deals on parts I can pick what I need up. Thanks much for all the info. Keep it coming.

QuadCobbler
01-20-2011, 04:37 PM
the reason for using a 250r shock is it has a remote rezi, and a clevis type conection on the bottom end and an eyelet on the top. The raptor has an eyelet on both ends so it works well with stock 300 swinger. The bigest problem I had with the shock was the bolt sizes, I guess that was the biggest problem with the whole thing, nothing really matched up and I had to either make bushings or drill out holes. As far as the link, I would start with a 400ex link.