PDA

View Full Version : How are the Edlebrock 400ex carbs?

iownatoyota
01-19-2011, 12:33 PM
I'm looking into a new carb for my 03 400ex and i tried the 450r carb swap and was really disappointed in it, i could never get the it dialed in and im giving up. I have a good line on a nice edlebrock and was wondering if im getting into another headache like the lectron and 450r carb ive tried or am i pretty set if i get this carb? lmk thanks brad

CJM
01-19-2011, 12:45 PM
Never used one myself, but I havent heard much good about them.

Shame you couldnt get the 450R carb dialed in, its usually the one to go with.

NacsMXer
01-19-2011, 01:29 PM
X2, heard nothing but bad things about the Edelbrock.

You could also go with a 400EX-specific Keihin FCR like the ones from Sparks Racing or Sudco. The Sparks FCR39 I have has wicked fast throttle response. But buying new these days, they are quite expensive. I think that's why a lot of people do the 450R swap; it offers FCR performance at a fraction of the price.

HondaPohl
01-19-2011, 02:03 PM
Heard nothing but horrible things about the edelbrocks.

TORO1968
01-19-2011, 02:35 PM
I have no personal experience with the Edelbrocks, but if you're looking for the absolute best performance, I agree that a 39mm FCR is definitely the way to go.

I've had one for several years with nothing but excellent performance from the day I installed it. I purchased the carb pre-jetted from Colby at C&D Racing then added a Boyesen QuickShot accelerator pump cover. The throttle response is really, really good now. Along with a good full exhaust and MSD ignition, the power gains are pretty impressive...easily keeps up with my YFZR in the woods.

-Jordan

iownatoyota
01-20-2011, 10:00 AM
does edlebrock have there own throttle cable for that carb? or do they run honda's cable?

iownatoyota
01-20-2011, 02:49 PM
HONDAPHOL WHAT HAVE YOU HEARD BAD ABOUT THEM?

HondaPohl
01-20-2011, 02:55 PM
I hear that they do not dial in worth a **** on a 450r. Now on a ex, maybe they do. My buddies 450 was bad. Ran way to lean, Could not get it too richin up at all. Rejetted, no luck. Took it to eastcoast atv, they threw it out and gave us a stock carb. My buddy got the quad with it on already. BUT i never owned an edelbrock so maybe other people have had better luck.

Chukkinsod
01-20-2011, 04:00 PM
Have one with no issues.........moved to a lectron 40 (drag).Hear a lot of talk how people dislike, but didnt have a bad experience. Many very happy with FCR if you can find a Sparks or Sudco $$$$$. I think the tunability is the issue... Only negative I had is I would get surges at idle and the occasional STICK! Yes you have to use their cables supplied in the kit due to the roll of the slide position.

racers
01-26-2011, 03:46 AM
Yes Edelbrocks use there own throttle cable. We use one on our 440EX pro-am MX race quad it works fantastic ,lightning quick response and much better low mid and top than anything else we ever tried(FCR,450R,(stockmod)Makes Gobs of power. Easy to adjust and set up .Only down side is Throttle pull is stiffer than stock or FCR.