PDA

View Full Version : stainless steel pivot bolt

mr4play72
01-18-2011, 08:22 PM
After taking mine apart for the first time after a season of racing I'm thinking of getting one of these as extra precaution. Does anyone have pros or cons and where to get one?

Pappy
01-18-2011, 08:23 PM
It is still a disimiliar metal then the sleeves and can still corrode.

Just lube your stock one and you will have NO issues;)

Thumpin440ex
01-18-2011, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
It is still a disimiliar metal then the sleeves and can still corrode.

Just lube your stock one and you will have NO issues;)

Agreed, you should not have any trouble with your stock one.. However even being diff metals, the stainless one will be less likely, prone to corrode for sure...

John

Pappy
01-19-2011, 05:43 AM
Actually, we have seen the SS units corrode even faster then the stock ones:p

fastredrider44
01-19-2011, 08:51 AM
My experience is a good regular greasing will do a lot better than anti-sieze.

slainwarrior
01-19-2011, 09:21 AM
nickel anti-seeze has worked pretty well for me

fomospede
01-19-2011, 01:15 PM
glanninnovation can make it greasable!

DnB_racing
01-19-2011, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Actually, we have seen the SS units corrode even faster then the stock ones:p agrred ^^^

the reason that the pivot bolt is more prone to the galvanic action is because the pivot is not a good connection for the ground!! its the presence of electricity that creates the corrosion!!the worse condition your ground wires are the worse your corrosion on the pivot bolt will be!! this is a sign of bad wiring

I use dialecrtic grease and have never had the slightest bit of corrosion!!

mr4play72
01-19-2011, 08:36 PM
OK - thanks for the responses, looks like I'll be going with the stock bolt and pull it apart on a regular basis.

Next question I got the old bearings out but I think I will have someone press the new ones in. Do you press them from the outside in? opposite of how I took them out. How far do I have them pressed in? and which way do the little seals go? Do they both go the same direction with the back or top facing the inside?

Thumpin440ex
01-19-2011, 08:40 PM
Then I would imagine that it is a ****ty grade of stainless. A good grade, with low carbon content, is far superior to corrosion then zinc plated or low grade stainless.. Just saying.. :D

John

Dave400ex
01-19-2011, 09:54 PM
Have Pappy Molycoat the bolt and sleeves and you'll never have an issue. I push mine out by hand.

DnB_racing
01-20-2011, 07:38 AM
thats because it insulates it!! and doent allow the electriciy to pas though it!which is really what you want!!

you really dont want the pivot bolt to be acting as part of your grounding system!!

but I still have to say the reason for the corroson is the grounding system! either a bad ground or just Honda has made there grounds to small, but it will happen more when we make a race harness and remove the extra ground wires!! or paint a frame and not clean the ground surface:)

DnB_racing
01-20-2011, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Thumpin440ex
Then I would imagine that it is a ****ty grade of stainless. A good grade, with low carbon content, is far superior to corrosion then zinc plated or low grade stainless.. Just saying.. :D

John ur right but the only draw back is one of the parts is always going to corrode if the original problem isn't fixed!

one of the parts will always act as an anode and one part will always act as a cathode when there is electricity flowing thru it, just which ever is the hardest will make the other part that it comes in contact to will still corrode!

DnB_racing
01-20-2011, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by mr4play72
OK - thanks for the responses, looks like I'll be going with the stock bolt and pull it apart on a regular basis.

Next question I got the old bearings out but I think I will have someone press the new ones in. Do you press them from the outside in? opposite of how I took them out. How far do I have them pressed in? and which way do the little seals go? Do they both go the same direction with the back or top facing the inside? you can install them your self its not that bad!! you are right about put them in in the opposite you removed the old here is a link to a crf but same basic Idea!!! http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=video&cd=2&ved=0CEMQtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D3IQ q2sLuESc&ei=6Fs4TYjeBoSClAeS0fj1Bg&usg=AFQjCNFHQ_iMOxqfPa8uaSvpwuPIfZxBTw