PDA

View Full Version : chains

jake"08"400
01-18-2011, 07:28 PM
So I want a red chain but I gota problem....the stock chain is pressed on right? So is a master link goin to be as strong as a pressed chain like is on my bike now. I use to ride dirt bikes a while back and I always had problems with master links so is there a certain kind that y'all run. And chain I want a x are z ring just don't know which.

CJM
01-18-2011, 07:40 PM
I asked a similar Q awhile back since I used to just any old chain.

I was told and went with a DID X ring. If masterlink chains have issues then my friends surely should have given up by now. He has the same chain on for a good year.

Im not exactly sure if I installed it right, but I broke the chain where I needed it, then put the links together but had to drill the end of the one link out slightly since I dont have a chain press (it was so minute I doubt it matters) then I put the master link on. So far so good.

Also if you havent ever replaced your sprockets now would also be a good time. I got the entire combo I wanted from motosport for I think 120 bucks. Chain sprockets and all.

jake"08"400
01-18-2011, 07:46 PM
Ok that's where I was looking was motosport. And naw I haven't replaced nothing an really my chain and sprockets are fine just got a disorder about buying stuff for my quad lol

honda400ex2003
01-18-2011, 07:50 PM
did x ring FTW!!! you wont have any problems with that. get a grinder wheel on a die grinder and cut off the stocker.

the xring comes with a master which is a pain to put on without the tool but can be done. put the master on top, face the clip back toward the tire and you are all good.

I would suggest getting new sprockets also at the same time to help all of them wear together and prolong their longevity.

steve

CJM
01-18-2011, 08:33 PM
I used some needlenosed vise grips and needlenose pliers to put mine on.

I squeezed the chain link itself on and then pushed the clip.

honda400ex2003
01-18-2011, 08:34 PM
x2 with vise grips it isnt too bad.

steve

jake"08"400
01-18-2011, 08:37 PM
Yea I'm lost I'll figure it out when the time comes....how many links are on are 400's

honda400ex2003
01-18-2011, 08:39 PM
94 if my memory serves me tonight. ill check in a sec.

steve

honda400ex2003
01-18-2011, 08:41 PM
94 it is. 520 size also. steve

jake"08"400
01-18-2011, 08:42 PM
Thank you man....

CJM
01-18-2011, 08:47 PM
One word of caution with the chain size: Make sure you have your sprocket setup you want on there when you cut the chain. You can always remove links but you cant put them back on to easy.

I went from 14/38 to 15/39 and I used 94 links and trust me its a tight fit now with the larger sprockets. I put the chain on and checked it several times before I cut it.

measure 2x, cut 1x.

To do the entire job your gonna need an angle grinder or a dremel to grind off (or a chain breaker works better, rocky mtn has a cheap tusk one that does work!) to kill your old chain, and some basic tools to change out the sprockets and put the chain on. iirc 10mm for the front sprocket, the sprocket goes in the groves the clip does not, and a 6mm allen key and 17mm socket or wrench to pull the rear sprocket.

Its rather simple once you get into it, took me maybe an hour and that was with measuring the links a few times to be sure.

jake"08"400
01-18-2011, 08:50 PM
Yea I have had my sprockets off before cleaning chain junk off of them and stuff. I think when the time comes I'm goin to buy me a chain breaker and press so I can for sure do it right and not have to worry with it. Are protaper good sprockets tho.and would you run steel are aluminum

CJM
01-18-2011, 08:57 PM
pro tapers are fine. Ive run them all and imho about all your getting is the name. I personally like JT sprockets (motosport carries these) or primary (rocky mtn house brand I think) drive as they are cheaper but well made.

I like steel for the longevity they have over AL. AL is nice but tends to wear out to fast for my tastes and with how much they cost imho its not worth it. Does the weight savings between AL/steel matter? Maybe if your gonna race, but I doubt it.

greencow
01-19-2011, 08:57 AM
I have used primary drive since my warrior, if you going to do light ridding you can get a kit for around 70$ with a blue chain haha

slightlybent47
01-19-2011, 02:34 PM
For mx I use a plane old regular chain. Not the o ring chains that come on all atv’s.
The o ring chain has resistance because of the o rings. The non o ring type rolls better and last just as long as an o ring chain. I have never had an issue with any chain I have used. Generally the sprockets will wear out before the chain and since you should replace everything at the same time anyway it makes no since to get a chain that will out last the sprocket.
One thing to remember is the master link clip should always go on with the closed side in the direction of the rotation of the chain. If you don’t do that the clip can come off and your chain will come apart. The master link is just as strong as a pressed on link, the only deference is the clip that holds it on. If you install it right you won’t have any issues with it. I like the clip type because you can remove it easy and you don’t have to cut it to get it off.

duroc825
01-19-2011, 07:17 PM
I've tried several brands and now swear by RK ring chains. First one I bought lasted 2 seasons of harescrambles and only had to adjust ONCE! I also use the cheap Primary Drive steel sprockets and they last a LONG time.
As far as the master link clip direction, closed end facing front of quad when it's on top/ facing rear when on bottom.

JOHNDOE83
01-19-2011, 07:41 PM
FYI on chains

Drag bikes and quads with way more HP then we have, with long swingarms have to piece chain together using two master links. Its just as strong as any point on the chain, I also have 2 master links on my chain and never had any issues.