PDA

View Full Version : couple questions

logant14
01-18-2011, 05:59 PM
my head gasket is leaking and a friend told me i will need to get the head shaved, i was wondering if i will need the top of the cylinder or the bottom of the head?
my carb is leaking also, the local shop said a rebuild kit will not fix it. something about the thing where the needle goes into weres out and you cant replace it. he said i need a new car. is this true

Pipeless416
01-18-2011, 06:02 PM
are you still on the stock piston? also for the leaking carb, make sure the seat for the float needle is clean. this is assuming that it leaks out of the overflow hose..

Scro
01-18-2011, 06:07 PM
There's no need to shave the head to replace the head gasket.

Pipeless416
01-18-2011, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Scro
There's no need to shave the head to replace the head gasket.

yea, you can probably get away with replacing the gasket, just make sure none of the headstuds are pulled.. its not as common, but ex's will pull studs on stock compression.

CJM
01-18-2011, 06:17 PM
Dont shave the head, they dont warp all that easy-you just need a gasket.

Make sure you torque it right, thats the key. All those little bitty bolts and such require alot less torque than you may think.

Heres a chart with the values: http://www.atvriders.com/articles/torque400ex.html

stroked 400ex
01-18-2011, 06:43 PM
put oversized head bolts in so much better than stock... and the gaskets are a problem i blew 2 gaskets this year

logant14
01-18-2011, 07:05 PM
thanks for the replys, pipeless, i am still on stock piston but i bought a 10-1 .040 wiseco. what is the best head gasket to buy. does permatex help it seal up better?

stroked 400ex
01-18-2011, 07:45 PM
i have a full hmf exhaust like new i would sell pm me if your interested... as for gasket idk yet i had a cometic and that one didnt hold then i tried k&n i think its called got that in a gasket set from sledpartsguy on ebay...

CJM
01-18-2011, 08:53 PM
Use the regular gasket, dont use permatex silicone. If you want you can use gasket shellac to hold the gasket on however.

Like I said proper torque is key. I have a cometic gasket and my buddys been using stock gaskets on his with no issues ( we have had it apart for other reasons a few x).

Pipeless416
01-18-2011, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Use the regular gasket, dont use permatex silicone. If you want you can use gasket shellac to hold the gasket on however.

Like I said proper torque is key. I have a cometic gasket and my buddys been using stock gaskets on his with no issues ( we have had it apart for other reasons a few x).

i was just wondering if you were running stock compression or not.. definitely make sure you check the studs.. specifically the stud facing the front of the quad, in between the exhaust ports. as for the gasket, look for a cometic layered steel gasket. like CJM said, proper torque is a must for reassembling the engine. also, don't tighten one stud all the way at once, do a little bit at a time on each one. after a little bit of ride time.. probably a tank or two, take the top off and check the torque of each head stud again. they can loosen when everything settles.

CJM
01-18-2011, 09:33 PM
Agreed with Pipeless.

Best to stagger tightening them as well, kinda tighten in an star shaped pattern. This equally distributes the clamping force and you get an even amount.

Also a good torque wrench is worth it, the ones from sears are ok but dont buy one at walmart or harbor freight as they are usually cheap junk.