PDA

View Full Version : Any transmission guys?

Hondamaster5505
01-18-2011, 04:28 PM
Well, I replaced the 1-2 synchronizer assembly in my T56 fairly recently. To be honest, it was fairly easy. Everything went smooth.

Well, I was driving it right after finishing, and it was a success. No more grinds.

All of a sudden, on the one backroad, my rear wheels locked up, and my trans was stuck in reverse.
(In neutral, it would still be in reverse, and in a forward gear, it wouldnt go anywhere because of the two gears fighting each other)

I slid the rear housing off the trans, without taking the whole thing out of the car. (Because reverse and 5/6 gear is located there)

Everything looks fine, other then one of the rear bearings (with a plastic cage) was melted and fell apart, and one of the spacers melted to a thrust washer.

Any ideas what might have caused this? I already bought the new bearing and spacers/etc. I plan on installing them when the weather gets nicer.

Im thinking maybe I didn't put enough fluid or..?

CJM
01-18-2011, 05:13 PM
Either you didnt assemble something right or the bearing was already letting go and went out at that point.

Whatever it was overall for a bearing to melt like that it had to have no lubrication and get quite hot. Your sure you waited for the engine to warm up well and added the fluid and checked it then?

Hondamaster5505
01-18-2011, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Either you didnt assemble something right or the bearing was already letting go and went out at that point.

Whatever it was overall for a bearing to melt like that it had to have no lubrication and get quite hot. Your sure you waited for the engine to warm up well and added the fluid and checked it then?

Well, the cage for the bearing is plastic. The metal rollers werent melted.

The spacers WERE starting to melt.

What I did was put the fluid in, then started it for a few minutes. Never checked the level and I think I had less then the recommended 4 quarts in there.

Plus I later found out, that you're supposed to grease that bearing before assembly. I never did, I figured the trans fluid would get to it right away.

CJM
01-18-2011, 05:28 PM
Sounds like a combo of both the trans not being filled up and the bearing not being greased.

heres a trick I learned to make sure the trans is warm enough to add fluid: turn car over, wait for thermostat to open and then add. by that point the vehicles quite warm.

Hondamaster5505
01-18-2011, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Sounds like a combo of both the trans not being filled up and the bearing not being greased.

heres a trick I learned to make sure the trans is warm enough to add fluid: turn car over, wait for thermostat to open and then add. by that point the vehicles quite warm.

Isnt it bad to run it without fluid?

I think im going to overfill it, (not start it) so it soaks into everything, then pull the "fill plug" so it goes down to the proper level. What I shoulda done in the first place. ha

CJM
01-18-2011, 06:13 PM
Well of course lol. If you drain out say 4 qts put 2 back in before you run it. Thats why I like using those gallon buckets you can get at the grocery store, then I mark them and can tell roughly what I took out.