PDA

View Full Version : crank seals another rookie question

jplltz50
01-18-2011, 04:03 PM
Replacing crank seals........with the right seal it can only go so far........the left how deep .......I can see the seal through the oil holes under the reed cage and it look like its up against the bearing .........I'm afraid ill starve that bearing of oil if its too deep..........I did take a squirt can and put oil through the right hole and it went through quick I squited through the left and it also goes through but I don't think as fast.........sorry newbie question

mmsoup
01-18-2011, 04:59 PM
Make sure there is a little grease on the crank seal shaft contact surface for both seals

Left Seal should fit in with enough room to place a large circlip in the groove on the outside of the seal about 3/8" in from the outer edge of the case. You can easily push it further in past the groove but not necessary and I don't because I don't know what the consequences would be.......................... The circlip is used in the stock engines to keep the seal in place.

Hetrick Racing
01-20-2011, 06:52 AM
Also some of the stock seals have 3 little tabs made on the back side these are used to install the seal up against the race of the main bearing.
either way works but if you utilize the tabs the seal will always be centered

jplltz50
01-20-2011, 05:15 PM
Yeah I got the tabs on the back of the seal.....I got one tab right dead under the oil hole......don't want to chance it.......oil does go through just not as fast as right hole. I'll take the 5 minutes to just get it right may save hours worth of work. Thanks guys