View Full Version : Best clutch set up

8secnotch
01-18-2011, 05:42 AM
I've been reading up on some clutch set ups and was wondering what everyone is running. I was leaning toward the hinson single spring clutch kit with there basket but looking for some input on this set up and others that others are useing. I was also reading that the crf450 clutch works well.

DnB_racing
01-18-2011, 08:35 AM
I like the stock!!! with the clutch mod(judder springs and first plate removed and replace first with regular plate) and heavy springs........ I have had this setup for a while,(many long hard hours) this winter I just replaced my whole setup, much cheaper then aftermarket, and lasts just as long and works great!!
the only draw back is stock outer basket isnt rebuildable, but it was groved anyways , after a while the rebuildable baskets still grove anyways unless you keep up on the pillows!!

I replaced everything and it cost under 350 for the same parts in a hinson it would have been almost 800

ml450r
01-18-2011, 01:05 PM
I ran the stock setup from 04 through 08. I bought the full hinson setup and ran it in 2009-10 the basket is already grooved, had to replace it. The inner hub needing replaced, I went through stock inner hubs about once every season and half.

My conclusion is run the stock stuff. Replacing as needed. Clutch worked just as well, didn't last quite as long, but for the price didn't need to.

airmobile101
01-18-2011, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by ml450r
I ran the stock setup from 04 through 08. I bought the full hinson setup and ran it in 2009-10 the basket is already grooved, had to replace it. The inner hub needing replaced, I went through stock inner hubs about once every season and half.

My conclusion is run the stock stuff. Replacing as needed. Clutch worked just as well, didn't last quite as long, but for the price didn't need to.
Run a Hinson Steel clutch basket.

8secnotch
01-18-2011, 01:54 PM
Can you tell me alittle more about the stock clutch mod and how it works.

Scro
01-18-2011, 02:32 PM
With the stock setup, the inner diameter of the first fiber that goes in is smaller than the rest. This is to make room for the judder spring, which is basically a curved steel. For the mod, you remove the smaller fiber and judder spring, and replace them with a normal sized fiber. This creates more surface area between the fibers and steels, and allows for harder engagement. For what it's worth, I prefer the stock setup better. Stock had a smoother clutch transition. It's all personal preference, though.