PDA

View Full Version : kick start problem

woodsracer144
01-18-2011, 02:05 AM
ok so when i kick my R it some time like misses the tooth or something and like "grinds" thw way down I havnt pulled the cover off yet, that will happen tomorrow. any one have any ideas? did i just install something wrong?

thanks

Honda 250r 001
01-18-2011, 06:37 AM
There are teeth on a very small gear, and a huge gear that need to mesh properly to kick the quad over. They will slip and cause this. You will have to pull it apart to know which piece you need.

woodsracer144
01-18-2011, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Honda 250r 001
There are teeth on a very small gear, and a huge gear that need to mesh properly to kick the quad over. They will slip and cause this. You will have to pull it apart to know which piece you need.

I understand that. I had the bigger gear that is on the outside and i think i had the little piece that hooks on to that piece that bolts to the case. that has the splines that goes on the shaft. not the best description but i think that was afew teeth off...

so i got the spine piece on right and i replace the outer gear with one i had cause the gears looked in a little better shape, im sure it was that spine piece that was on wrong.

now when i tighten the cover down tight it wont return on it's own. you loosen up the upper bolts to the point where they are about hand tight or less and it will return on it's own...

jon370r
01-21-2011, 02:35 AM
If I remember correctly these parts mentioned are a few of the 250R parts that don't all interchange with each other. Some need a metal spacer to the clutch cover and the others have the spacer cast into the cover. This will cause a binding issue if the stack up between all the components is incorrect.

Pumashine
01-21-2011, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by jon370r
If I remember correctly these parts mentioned are a few of the 250R parts that don't all interchange with each other. Some need a metal spacer to the clutch cover and thye others have the spacer cast into the cover. This will cause a binding issue if the stack up between all the components is incorrect.

This is true, I have 2 different ones of the larger gear. On one it is flat on the side opposite the theeth. On the other it has a small/short lip turned on it where it goes over the kicker shaft. I will take a pic today.

Sounds like you may just need to sand/grind/cut off a little of the collar that goes between the cover and kicker.

woodsracer144
01-21-2011, 11:48 AM
do you have a photo of the two? i got it to work now... the collar in the spring was sitting right.

Velvet-Casket
01-21-2011, 12:08 PM
That sounds like what 85 atc transmissions do. Mine does that. and i believe that is also the only year the kicker rubs the clutch covercase when ever it is being kickstarted.

Pumashine
01-21-2011, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
do you have a photo of the two? i got it to work now... the collar in the spring was sitting right.

The one on the bottom left is from the 88-89. I was wrong about the 85-87 being flat. The lip just goes farther out on the 88-89.

I was going to suggest to make sure the C-collar on the spring was not behind the spring itself keeping the spring from where its supposed to fit. Good find!!

http://i56.tinypic.com/2zi4emf.jpg

woodsracer144
01-22-2011, 10:41 PM
I did not know that the 89 make the gear have that large of a lip... holy balls