PDA

View Full Version : predetonation?

togup
01-17-2011, 08:42 PM
I was out riding today the quad was good and warmed up and I shifted into second but was holding the gear a little long and I gassed it as if to wheelie and heard a metalic single crack and let off then repeted it with the same results over and over ,does that sound like predetonation to yall

rubbersdown
01-18-2011, 10:31 AM
detonation doesnt usually sound like one big crack, it sounds like you have a coffee can full of bolts and your shaking it real hard. What octane you running?

ridehonda400ex
01-18-2011, 02:32 PM
Maybe a bad bearing somewhere in the motor?

Scro
01-18-2011, 02:37 PM
Are you sure it's coming from the motor, and not the chain area maybe?

2001400exrida
01-18-2011, 03:32 PM
predetonation sounds like a pinging noise. the bb's in a can is the cam chain noise if you're cam chain is loose it will sound like bb's in a can.

if you hear pinging from the motor, it's almost like metal slapping, then you need to raise your octane.

it's very noticeable at idle you don't necessarily have to crack the throttle to hear it, it should ping at idle too if you're predetonating.

togup
01-18-2011, 04:37 PM
im running 89 but ive been having lean conditions stepping up my jets ,I didnt want to use the word ping to describe the noise to avoid misdiagnosis the sound is a single noise not like bbs,but ive never heard predetionation so i cant compare it . I will check my chain just in case. The motor is pretty new, a year and a half or so with little ride time on it.

togup
01-19-2011, 09:04 PM
Crap mo stank, it wasnt my engine it was the T on my stainless brake lines hitting my frame when I accelerated. JUMPING to conclusions, thanks for your help anyways.

CJM
01-19-2011, 09:09 PM
LOL! :D

Happens to the best of us bud.