PDA

View Full Version : Frame value???

socal
01-17-2011, 01:37 PM
I have a friend with a 86 chassis in decent shape in need of a fresh powdercoat.He is currently running a Lonestar chassis and is thinking of taking the vin tag off the 86 frame and welding it onto the Lonestar chassis.Were wondering what he could get for the frame without the vin?Someone with a bent frame could buy this one and simply transfer vins.Whats the value of this 86 frame with vin and title and without?Thanks...

skyeryder
01-17-2011, 03:00 PM
from my experience not much everyone wants 87 or 88-89 frames, I sold a nice one with no cracks for $75. But you never know until you advertise it.... I think alot of it depends on if you happen to be selling when someone breaks one.

sangheraent
01-17-2011, 03:09 PM
i got an 86 frame on ebay last year that had no vin on it and no title for $185 shipped. to me that is the cheapest Iv ever seen, so it might be worth more.

but then again its ebay I was watching a set of lonestar long travel +3 arms last week that sold for $220. now that is some wild stuff.

Pumashine
01-17-2011, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by socal
and is thinking of taking the vin tag off the 86 frame and welding it onto the Lonestar chassis.

Is this legal?

From what I understand VIN's are not transferable. But I could be wrong.

If this were the case then you could make a thousand VINS an put them on any bike you wanted. Its not real hard to do.

89trx250r
01-17-2011, 07:54 PM
yeah im pretty sure what puma is saying is true... i know back in the day you could order a stock replacement frame that came with no vin and you just transferd your vin from the old frame to the new frame but as far as aftermarket frames there should be a manufacturing date or something that serves as a "vin" so the bike can be registered or brought into canada etc...