PDA

View Full Version : Breaks wont prime? Read this.

Mxbubs
02-12-2003, 08:16 PM
I tried for days to get my 250r calipers to prime up, but they just wouldnt. I tried everything. I checked around locally for some kind of little pump to hook to the caliper and force fluid in, but had no luck find anything. So I went to the hardware store and got some 1/4 hose, slid it over the caliper bleeder, and blew.:D

I took the top off my fluid rezzy, and fill the hose up with fluid and blew the fluid up to the rezzy. The air will bleed pass the cylinder, but the fluid will not. Just keep putting fluid in and blowing until you cant blow no more, that means you have fluid all the way up to the rezzy, and no more air. Just blow.:eek:

toby400ex
02-12-2003, 08:36 PM
kinda like when i blow in my gas cap hose when im about out of gas:confused:

BigThumper33
02-12-2003, 08:41 PM
I had the same problem. Fluid would come out the bleeder but it wouldn't prime. So I got one of those old oil cans with the trigger....you know that spits out oil when you pull the trigger. Run a hose from the bleeder to the oil can(cleaned, then filled with brake fluid) and backforced the fluid into the ressy. Worked great!

toby400ex
02-12-2003, 08:50 PM
is this mainly a prob with 250r calipers, cuz my 400ex calipers primed prefectly.:o

L.Vegas400
02-12-2003, 09:15 PM
autozone rents a hand pump bleeder for brakes and clutches. if your still havin trouble try them.

Gusto
02-12-2003, 09:16 PM
Sound like you have to buy a brake bleeder, they cost about 15.00 with a bunch of different attachments. They are very easy to use and you don't have a mess once your done. I had to get one to bleed my steel braided lines...one little air pocket and your toast trying to do it manually. Good luck.

PhilMoore
02-13-2003, 10:39 AM
I got a MityVac bleeder tool for this purpose. It works great, plus you can use it for engine diagnostics and other things.

It works great for brakes.

The local auto parts store should have them. It is better than sucking or blowing hoses bubs....

03GNCC270
02-13-2003, 10:45 AM
MAY NEED TO REBUILD THE BRAKE CYLINDER. JUST DID MINE LAST WEEK. MY BRAKES WOULD BLEED BUT WOULD FADE OVER TIME.
REBUILT IT AND THEY WORK FINE NOW.

400exdad
02-13-2003, 11:00 AM
Sounds like something is wrong with the master cylinder. If it is not bad, you should be able to pump the brakes a few times, hold the brakes and then open the bleeder screw to release the pressure. At first it will be air. After a few more times, you should see a mix and then all fluid. Do both wheels (if you're doing front) the same way. By blowing into the bleeder screw, you were pushing air into the system, that would be bad if you wanted to get the brakes to work. :) The bleeder attachment fits onto the bleeder screw and pulls a suction on the system... Again, one wheel at a time. Good Luck.

Mxbubs
02-13-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by L.Vegas400
autozone rents a hand pump bleeder for brakes and clutches. if your still havin trouble try them.

I have boycotted my local autozone, so I didnt try them.

Now that I got the suckers to prime, one side is barely working.....One wheel will stop on a dime, the other one hardly stops....The rotor is a little bent, but not too thin, the pads are almost new.....sounds like I need a caliper rebuild?

Gusto
02-13-2003, 11:56 AM
bleed bleed bleed....sound like you still may have a bubble. This same senario happended to me. With the brake bleeder it shouldn't take too long.

465Stroker
02-13-2003, 12:31 PM
1. Take the cap off of your master cylinder and fill it up.
2. Put a rubber hose on your bleeder valve on you caliper and the other end of the hose into a can.
3. crack open only one bleeder valve and leave the other one closed.
4. Walk away for about 5-10 minutes and let gravity do the purging for you!
5. After fluid starts coming out of the one caliper - close it and crack the other caliper open and wait.
6. Make sure you watch your fluid level in the master cylinder.
7. After you do all of this - you may have to pump you brakes and crack them open a few times to get them good and hard.

Good Luck.

465Stroker
02-13-2003, 12:33 PM
Also, sometimes a bubble will get trapped in the banjo bolts - so pump you brakes and crack open the banjo bolts too for good measure. Usually you master cylinder banjo bolt is the one that has a bubble in it.

Mxbubs
02-13-2003, 01:52 PM
Thanks Guys, Im gonna try to bleed them down some more....The handle is spongy, it does feel like it has air in one line.

400exdad
02-13-2003, 04:07 PM
Sounds like you're on the right track. When you get the "spongyness" to go away, and one caliper still reacts better than the other, it's time for a caliper rebuild. In time, rust and dirt does it's thing. You'll be riding before you know it!