PDA

View Full Version : kick start kit?

blholtz
01-16-2011, 03:41 PM
Is the Kick start kit worth the time and money to install? I want to use it on a quad for harescrambles. I am hoping that it will be a little more dependable for quicker starting than the electric start is right now.

660LE
01-16-2011, 04:16 PM
I put one on my LTr because I kept having problems with my batteries an starters. If the quad hasnt ran it will start 2nd kick. If its been running and i shut it off for 5-10 minutes it will normally start first kick.

atveric132
01-16-2011, 07:57 PM
i love it

kbrown
01-17-2011, 09:35 AM
I think it will be slower than the electric just because its a backwards kick I think and the hondas are a forward so their fast.. use it as a backup for the electric? Woods racing doesn't matter much about weight like ms and tt guys that's why they use them

blholtz
01-17-2011, 05:18 PM
not a weight thing here, want more reliability in starting on dead engine starts.

Jim417mx
01-17-2011, 06:30 PM
I have yet to install a kicker on my ltr... but I went to kicker on my yfz since yfz's suck at batterys. It was fun at first when everything was working, but when you start having engine problems it takes longer to diagnose because you have to sit there and kick it instead of just pushing a button to see compression,spark,fuel,etc.. and the frustration builds up after you kick it 50 times and your tired and cant figure out the problem... just speaking from experience, I still have E-start on my suzuki. Why is yours hard to start on E-start? Maybe time for a valve check or something? There has to be a reason why you want to change to a kicker? Just wondering.

LTRracer4
01-18-2011, 11:42 AM
I wouldnt switch to kickstart without switching to a carb. Carb and kickstart is very basic, diag problems with experience is a breeze. Jim has a good point though.

kbrown
01-18-2011, 04:45 PM
Im tellin ya a kicker wouldn't be faster on the holeshot its kicks the oposite way of the honda. I would never get rid of electric start for harescramvles unless it was just backup.. if you want a kicker with easy diagnosis get a 450r lol quick I wish I had done a few times while watching my buddy need have a motor problem. But I've also passed him in the woods while he was sitting there kicking his hinds lol.. either way both will suck you don't know your bike. The electric start is my pick but you have to do the maintenance. Charge battery and clean connections etc. etc.

Limited Z_400
01-18-2011, 05:07 PM
We just installed a kicker on our 06 mainly for the weight savings about 8.25lbs. There are other benefits but we did not replace it because of poor starting. Even with estart the LTRS start very well.With the kicker and fuel injection you have a very reliable system that is race proven.

blholtz
01-19-2011, 09:10 PM
My 06 seems to be hard on batterys and I would rather not have the starter chug on a dead engine start. Not sure I am going to make the switch. Right now asking for feedback.