PDA

View Full Version : Must Have Parts For Stock Class Drag Racing

cheater13
01-16-2011, 03:19 PM
I'm typing this off my iPod so sorry for the errors. Well I'm dragging my 400ex this august and I'm goin to want to do a few things to it. Right now I have a k@n powerlid, a outerwears prefilter, a FMF Titanium 4 exhaust with a powerbomb header. I'm going the top end and replace the chain and sprockets later on. I was thinking of port and polishing it but dad debated because the engine is already mostly aluminum, which is smooth unlike the old cast iron engines back in the day, and he said it wouldn't be worth the money to do that. Is that true? Also, since he said that, I was then thinking to get either a hot cam stage 1 or 2 but I'm not too sure on which one yet. What do you guys think? It's stock class so I can't bore it any.

CJM
01-16-2011, 03:28 PM
Hotcam stage 1 works best in a stock engine, it will give you gains all around but tends to lower the topend slightly.

Look into the rules, but you might be able to run a sparks 6 degree timing key to give you back the topend you lose with the cam.

As for port and polish, it helps on these engines cause the head although machined very nice is still rather rough inside.

Otherwise your gonna want to keep that sucker as low to the ground as possible. Look at the most popular 400ex thread and read about how to put on some stock 450R shocks. These have adjustable preload so you can lower or raise the suspension.

Scro
01-16-2011, 03:29 PM
Without going with a bigger bore, the most power gain you will see is a ported head, a high compression piston, and a more aggressive cam.

cheater13
01-16-2011, 03:39 PM
Oh ok thanks. Yeah I think stage 2 was more toward top end but I wasn't sure. And if I got a more compression piston, what would I have to get besides the piston? Wouldn't u have to bore it if I get a higher compression piston? And what's a price range for getting the head just polished?

HondaPohl
01-16-2011, 04:18 PM
You can do it yourself!

JOHNDOE83
01-16-2011, 04:39 PM
Most important it to take off as much weight as possible and get paddle tires for the dirt and drag tires for pavement.

Also change your gearing for what type of drag racing your doing.

Scro
01-16-2011, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by cheater13
Oh ok thanks. Yeah I think stage 2 was more toward top end but I wasn't sure. And if I got a more compression piston, what would I have to get besides the piston? Wouldn't u have to bore it if I get a higher compression piston? And what's a price range for getting the head just polished?

You don't have to bore when going with higher compression. With a higher compression piston, the area inside cylinder when the piston is at top dead center will be smaller. This is the because the top of the piston will be raised slightly, and will have deeper valve pockets. The air and fuel are being compressed into smaller area, which makes more power.

cheater13
01-16-2011, 05:48 PM
Ah ok. So far I'll probably get a stage 1 cam and a high compression wiesco piston. In the port and polishing part, could I just polish the head and see gains without porting anything?

3400ben
01-16-2011, 05:57 PM
P&P from Moto-Xperts Will be about $350. I don't think you will see any gain just by polishing, you need to remove material. This is well worth the money.

Dobber
01-16-2011, 06:08 PM
id try to contact Janssen motorsports to get the p&p done..it seems like they've got the drag porting down pretty soon.

http://janssenmotorsports.com/

edit:also, what kind of draging are you going to be doing?

cheater13
01-16-2011, 06:36 PM
I'm beginning with the local 300 foot drag if that helps.

Dobber
01-16-2011, 06:56 PM
lowering it is a must. a good set of tires would also help a lot. i run maxxis 4-snows and they seem to hook pretty good. how much are you looking to spend on all of this?

cheater13
01-16-2011, 07:05 PM
Yeah I have holeshots on it now and lowering it means I'll have to put a pair of good shocks which cost a good amount of money. And in trying to spend as least as possible. Probably under 700 but that includes a top end rebuild.

400exshop
01-16-2011, 07:32 PM
I'm typing this off my iPod so sorry for the errors. Well I'm dragging my 400ex this august and I'm goin to want to do a few things to it. Right now I have a k@n powerlid, a outerwears prefilter, a FMF Titanium 4 exhaust with a powerbomb header. I'm going the top end and replace the chain and sprockets later on. I was thinking of port and polishing it but dad debated because the engine is already mostly aluminum, which is smooth unlike the old cast iron engines back in the day, and he said it wouldn't be worth the money to do that. Is that true? Also, since he said that, I was then thinking to get either a hot cam stage 1 or 2 but I'm not too sure on which one yet. What do you guys think? It's stock class so I can't bore it any.
what parts are already mostly aluminum on the motor ? a good p&p will help you out with a 12.5.1 to 13.1 cp piston its lighter then the wis. get more info befor you jump in to it so you dont spend any money that you dont have to.

cheater13
01-16-2011, 09:17 PM
I'm assuming most of the parts are aluminum in the 400ex. And that's what I'm kind of trying to do by asking you guys. I mostly shop on rockymountain but they don't have any other pistons besides wiesco.

Dobber
01-16-2011, 09:17 PM
Yeah I have holeshots on it now and lowering it means I'll have to put a pair of good shocks which cost a good amount of money. And in trying to spend as least as possible. Probably under 700 but that includes a top end rebuild.

you dont have to get shocks to lower it..you could get by with a lowering kit. some people hate on them..but thats what i use to lower my 400 and i've never had any problems. you can pick one up off of ebay i think.

holeshots aren't really the best for dirt drags..but if your not going to get really serious into this they'll probably get you by.

i started draging last summer just for fun..but i've gotten addicted..and my 400 becomes less and less a trail rider all the time.

before you go to the race..you might want to find somewhere that you would be able to practice your starts too as they can be tricky sometimes. it might not sound like it that important..but i found that a gripper seat helped my starts alot! i used to always slide to the back causing the front end to some up, but with the gripped i stay planted until i want to move to the back. just throwing it out there.

cheater13
01-16-2011, 09:21 PM
Ok thanks. Yea I have alot if fields and everything here to practice in, im just in need of the parts for my 400ex to help it alot because there is always 450r's there and they haul.

Dobber
01-16-2011, 09:31 PM
dont that have a class for just 400s there?

cheater13
01-16-2011, 09:35 PM
No.. Thats the unfair part. It's just a local fair and I want to give drag racin a try. Even though there's a stock class people come in with bored 450's and banshees and enter them in the stock class because people dont know if it's bored without taking the head off. That's why I need the most bang got the buck without boring mine because I still want it to be somewhat of a trail machine.

Dobber
01-16-2011, 09:55 PM
you can still have it as a trail machine and be bored out..i ride my drag 440 on the trails still every once in a while..and i got a buddy with a yfz thats like a 526 or something like that and he still trail rides

but if your wanting best bang for your buck id do hi comp piston, stage one hot cam, gearing will also be a big part. i would also run it without the air box lid and prefilter for the drags. and of couse you'll have to re jet. you could also get a 3* timing key from a guy off of here named wheelie i believe. they work nice in high comp engines or go with a sparks key if you go lower comp.

cheater13
01-17-2011, 06:51 AM
Ok thanks. Yeah i kinda don't want to bore it yet but does it do anything if I did take the prefilter off and the k@n lid and ran it? And what about the port and polish. On rockountain atv I'm pretty sure they only sell weisco so I'll probably get one of them pistons. I would need a piston that would run with 93 octane because that is the highest they sell around here.

400exshop
01-17-2011, 09:37 AM
you dont have to get a kit to lower it just strap the front and rear down. with some straps. it takes 5 min. and go racing. have you been to a asphault drag strip ? look at some of the bikes some are strap down.

Dobber
01-17-2011, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by 400exshop
you dont have to get a kit to lower it just strap the front and rear down. with some straps. it takes 5 min. and go racing. have you been to a asphault drag strip ? look at some of the bikes some are strap down.

you could do that if they allow it. we used to do that..but don't allow it anymore so i went with the kit.

taking the prefilter and lid off is going to allow for air to be brought into the engine easier.

if you want to stick with 93 octane than the highest i would go is 11:1 comp.

and you would probably see some gains with a port and polish..and if you researched it enough you could probably even do it yourself.

cheater13
01-17-2011, 03:24 PM
Ok thanks but how and what would I strap down?

Dobber
01-17-2011, 03:39 PM
i believe you just wrap it around a higher spot on the frame, and the a arms and tighten it up

cheater13
01-17-2011, 04:26 PM
Ok thanks but with them rubber tie down straps?

Scro
01-17-2011, 04:36 PM
Ok thanks but with them rubber tie down straps?

No. If you are going to do it, use a strap that's not going to give.

cheater13
01-17-2011, 06:48 PM
Alright thanks for the help. I have a good idea of what I'm going to do to it but I need help on a big problem, I have a 3/4 inch hole in my canister and I'm looking for a stainless steel welder. Is that the only option I have because I really don't want to get another exhaust?

Also, I was thinking about a 450r carb to put on the 400ex. Would that have good gains?

cheater13
01-18-2011, 10:52 AM
any help on that?

Red_250EX_Rider
01-18-2011, 11:40 AM
Alright thanks for the help. I have a good idea of what I'm going to do to it but I need help on a big problem, I have a 3/4 inch hole in my canister and I'm looking for a stainless steel welder. Is that the only option I have because I really don't want to get another exhaust?

Also, I was thinking about a 450r carb to put on the 400ex. Would that have good gains?

I'd just buy a new factory one would be the cheaper route

cheater13
01-18-2011, 01:45 PM
Ehh I don't know if it will be the cheapest because if I ever got another exhaust it would be Sparks. I could just weld a patch or something over the hole though.

JOHNDOE83
01-18-2011, 02:46 PM
For drag racing take the muffler completley off and jet for it with only the header pipe.

take the battery out and jumpstart it before the race.

take the airbox off.

and get a 450 carb.

paddle tires!

find out if you can use struts instead of shocks for your class!

cheater13
01-18-2011, 06:16 PM
Thanks but I never heard jetting with only the header on and jumpstarten it. I'm going to get a 450r carb but do I need any extra things to hook it up?
And would paddle tires work on a dirt track? I thought they were for sand.

Red_250EX_Rider
01-18-2011, 06:46 PM
Thanks but I never heard jetting with only the header on and jumpstarten it. I'm going to get a 450r carb but do I need any extra things to hook it up?
And would paddle tires work on a dirt track? I thought they were for sand.

I think he means racing paddles like prowedge tires 2.

cheater13
01-18-2011, 07:15 PM
Oh ok I understand now. I just called FMF and they recommended to get a R&Dbowl for the Honda. What would that be?

Red_250EX_Rider
01-18-2011, 07:22 PM
Oh ok I understand now. I just called FMF and they recommended to get a R&Dbowl for the Honda. What would that be?

I cant help you on that part seems like its a a diff bowl to go on the 450r carb to cause less bog and allow more fuel.

cheater13
01-18-2011, 08:40 PM
Thanks though but yeah he was talking about the carb and that and said it would cost around a few hundred bucks and I dont think it would be worth it a whole lot. He said it would help it kinda keep up with the fuel injected ones.

Red_250EX_Rider
01-18-2011, 08:47 PM
Thanks though but yeah he was talking about the carb and that and said it would cost around a few hundred bucks and I dont think it would be worth it a whole lot. He said it would help it kinda keep up with the fuel injected ones

Yea i seen one for 250$ I wouldn't pay that for it ether but thats just me.

cheater13
01-18-2011, 08:50 PM
Yea it's probably not worth it.

And for the tires, does rockymountain sell any real good ones for the dirt. I have holeshots right now and there descent but running low on tread.

Red_250EX_Rider
01-18-2011, 08:58 PM
Yea it's probably not worth it.

And for the tires, does rockymountain sell any real good ones for the dirt. I have holeshots right now and there descent but running low on tread.

I see some sand but on tires if you think the holeshots are hooking good get you another set. mine be able to find some cheap drag tires on here through the classifieds.

Edit these might be alright

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&navTitle=Tires+and+Wheels&webTypeId=138&webCatId=8&prodFamilyId=17494&allVehParts=true

cheater13
01-18-2011, 09:04 PM
They look pretty nice bit they look like there made more toward flattrack. Yeah I had both Razrs and Holeshots and liked both. But you think them tires you sent me a link of would do any better than razors or holeshots?

Red_250EX_Rider
01-18-2011, 09:06 PM
They look pretty nice bit they look like there made more toward flattrack. Yeah I had both Razrs and Holeshots and liked both. But you think them tires you sent me a link of would do any better than razors or holeshots?

Thats what i was thinking there more toward the flat track but if the Holeshots were sticking good why risk it. But since they are meant to grip.

cheater13
01-18-2011, 09:13 PM
Yea I migh stick to holeshots or give them ones a try. I'm not quite sure what model of holeshots I have but what's a good model of tire for drags?

Red_250EX_Rider
01-18-2011, 09:21 PM
Yea I migh stick to holeshots or give them ones a try. I'm not quite sure what model of holeshots I have but what's a good model of tire for drags?

Not real sure i know a friend of mine must of the time ran those racing paddles on his YFZ450 and those were the one i first told you about.

cheater13
01-18-2011, 09:26 PM
Oh ok so you think them Duro tires would be a good tire for drags?

Red_250EX_Rider
01-19-2011, 05:19 AM
Oh ok so you think them Duro tires would be a good tire for drags?

Id doubt it its according to how deep the thread gaps are and how far apart they are. Those look like flat tdirt track racing tires.

cheater13
01-19-2011, 05:42 AM
Alright. What would be a nice tire for 300ft drags then?

Red_250EX_Rider
01-19-2011, 07:07 AM
Alright. What would be a nice tire for 300ft drags then?

I would take a trip to the local drag strip and see if they was a dominate tire or ask someone who drags on here

cheater13
01-19-2011, 07:33 AM
Ok thanks. Yeah I know a guy that been drag racing for a while. Here is my list of what all i plan on getting done:

Port and polish
Stage 1 hot cam
Wiseco 11:1 stock piston
450r carb
Everything jetted and synced together
1 tooth up in the rear
Gold series chain
Rear drag tires
And I'm getting a top end rebuild

This sound good? Keep in mind I'm not boring it because im entering in stock class.

Red_250EX_Rider
01-19-2011, 07:54 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cheater13
Ok thanks. Yeah I know a guy that been drag racing for a while. Here is my list of what all i plan on getting done:

Port and polish
Stage 1 hot cam
Wiseco 11:1 stock piston
450r carb
Everything jetted and synced together
1 tooth up in the rear
Gold series chain
Rear drag tires
And I'm getting a top end rebuild

This sound good? Keep in mind I'm not boring it because im entering in stock class. [/QUOTE

Would lighting the flywheel help? And would it be aloud

cheater13
01-19-2011, 07:58 AM
What's good about that? And yeah it probably would.

Red_250EX_Rider
01-19-2011, 08:34 AM
What's good about that? And yeah it probably would.

With less weight on the flywill you'll have quicker acceleration but lose some on the topend

cheater13
01-19-2011, 08:45 AM
Oh ok I think I'm just gunna do what I listed unless there's anything else can do because I still want to ride In the woods and play around with it in the fields.
What about a sparks key?

Red_250EX_Rider
01-19-2011, 10:14 AM
Oh ok I think I'm just gunna do what I listed unless there's anything else can do because I still want to ride In the woods and play around with it in the fields.
What about a sparks key?

Idk you could try it

cheater13
01-19-2011, 10:35 AM
Would I have to run higher octane fuel in it if I get the sparks key?

Red_250EX_Rider
01-19-2011, 10:48 AM
Not for sure maybe cjm or one of the higher poster would know

JOHNDOE83
01-19-2011, 03:21 PM
I meant paddle tires like these, These and maxxis 4snows are the best dirt or sand tire for drag racing.

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/johndoe83_2010/newdragex003.jpg

Dobber
01-19-2011, 05:27 PM
i run the snows..and they hook pretty good. but if your looking for a tire that hooks good and you can still use to ride dunlop makes a tire that works great. i think its even a stock 400ex tire.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=138&navTitle=Tires+and+Wheels&webCatId=8&prodFamilyId=15819

thats pretty much what everyone around here runs if there not using snows or paddles.

cheater13
01-19-2011, 06:12 PM
Ok sweet. Out of them two tires, which one would grab alot better on wettish dirt?

Dobber
01-19-2011, 07:58 PM
are you asking between the two that have been posted, or the snows and the dunlops?

cheater13
01-19-2011, 08:11 PM
The ones that been posted. But for the snows, I wouldnt be able to just ride around with them right?

hocman123
01-19-2011, 08:26 PM
Would I have to run higher octane fuel in it if I get the sparks key?

if u have a stock piston u could have a 6 degree timing key i not need to use race fuel all u would need is 92 to 93 pump gas.

if u go up in compresion then u would have to take it out or but a 3 degree key in to stay on pump gas

cheater13
01-19-2011, 08:34 PM
I'm going to go with a stock wesico 11:1 high compression piston so should I get the 3 degree? And I would be running iton 93 octane.

hocman123
01-19-2011, 08:39 PM
well u could get it and try some people say there bike pings a little with 11:1 with the 3 but others say they are fine. also if u staying with the stock bore then u should be ok but it is hard to say most people that have trouble with the 3 have 416 or 440 engines with that compresion

Dobber
01-19-2011, 08:39 PM
The ones that been posted. But for the snows, I wouldnt be able to just ride around with them right?

you could just ride around in the snow with them lol.

but between the ones posted i would go with the dunlops. its what i use when im not using the snow and they seem to work great..and the other ones seem like they are ment more for flat track or asphalt drags

cheater13
01-19-2011, 08:48 PM
Ok thanks haha. So them dunlops that you posted are good for wet dirt drags? And is there a website to buy the ones that Johndoe posted because they look pretty nice

Dobber
01-19-2011, 09:10 PM
yea..they work pretty good. you can buy the ones that john posted off of rocky mountain too. but there a little more expensive..and your not really going to be able to just ride around with them..unless you ride dunes.

cheater13
01-19-2011, 09:16 PM
What tire setup are you running? And I already have some holeshots to ride around with but I'll have to replace them soon. Whichever ones hook better in wet dirt/clay I want them.

Dobber
01-19-2011, 09:22 PM
my tire set up all differs from race to race. it all depends on track conditions. theres times when i'll start with the snows and then switch to the dunlops and switch right back to the snows.

when you say its a wet track..do you just mean like the water it down, or do you mean that its going to be muddy?

cheater13
01-20-2011, 04:54 AM
Oh yeah I know what you mean. And no they just water it down. It's like a clay somewhat.

Chukkinsod
01-20-2011, 04:22 PM
Have you tried a set of Pro Wedge 2's ? They are stiffer than the 4 snows with the same design tread. Work great for hardpack and they will allow you to get out of the hole quicker due to the fact they expand.

cheater13
01-20-2011, 07:39 PM
No I never did try them. Where could get a pair because rockymountain don't have any prowedge? And it's nit very hard packed but it's not dusty either. It's just like a somewhat wet dirt.

Dobber
01-20-2011, 08:18 PM
the original pro wedges are actually the best..but they dont make them any more.

if you want to go with a snow or wedge type tire any kind should do just fine since it doesnt seem like your getting into this very seriously.

cheater13
01-20-2011, 08:27 PM
Yeah but what is a good kind of wedged tire that grabs pretty good besides dunlops tire.

Dobber
01-20-2011, 08:28 PM
you mean a tire that you could use for draging and riding?

cheater13
01-20-2011, 08:41 PM
If I could get one to both drag and ride which one? And what's a good strict dirt dragging tire?

Dobber
01-20-2011, 08:54 PM
i would go with the dunlops. in my opinion there probably your best bet for a tire to drag and ride with.

if you go with just a drag tire the snows or pro wedges would be the best.

cheater13
01-20-2011, 09:03 PM
Ok cool thanks. Does it matter what kind of dunlops they are though?

Dobber
01-20-2011, 10:17 PM
the ones that i posted are the ones your going to want to get.

cheater13
01-21-2011, 04:54 AM
Yeah but they look more of a rounded tire, not wide. Would these do any better?

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&navTitle=Tires+and+Wheels&webTypeId=138&webCatId=8&prodFamilyId=15818&allVehParts=true

Dobber
01-21-2011, 08:12 AM
no..i've tried those..and i couldn't get them to hook at all. and that was on a stock 400ex with just a pipe.

your best bet is the ones that i posted. they might not look like anything special..but there one of the best hooking tires for dirt drags.

cheater13
01-21-2011, 01:49 PM
Ok sweet. Do you use them dunlops? And just wanderen if holeshots are pretty good?

Edit: i just found these ones and they have the
Same tread pattern. Wouldnt they be better because there wider?

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&navTitle=Tires+and+Wheels&webTypeId=138&webCatId=8&prodFamilyId=15822&allVehParts=true

Dobber
01-21-2011, 02:56 PM
yea i used the dunlops i posted when im not using the snows. holeshots are are good riding tires, but there terrible drag tires.

the ones you posted aren't any wider than the ones i posted.

cheater13
01-21-2011, 03:21 PM
Oh ok thanks man. Would them dunlops fit on the stock rim? And when do you use your snow tires?

And my holeshots are good for drag racing in the grass and dust

Dobber
01-22-2011, 07:24 PM
the dunlops will fit a stock rim. and i use my snows all the time except when it is really muddy.

holeshots hook up good as a trail tires, but if you want a good drag tire i wouldn't even look at them.

cheater13
01-22-2011, 07:45 PM
Ok cool I will look at getting a pair of dunlops then. Thanks!