PDA

View Full Version : any union ironworkers?

buck440
01-16-2011, 07:05 AM
i had some questions for union structural erecting ironworkers if any on here?

Ruby Soho
01-16-2011, 08:49 AM
my old man and his entire side of the family are.:macho

nwi45
01-16-2011, 09:51 AM
What's your question?

buck440
01-16-2011, 11:33 AM
i was just curious what it would be like for a first year apprentice from day 1 what would he be doing?

DnB_racing
01-16-2011, 11:48 AM
im not a union iron worker but i am a union electrician, and I can say from day one you will be learning the equipment!! and safety practices,,,, KEEP YOU MOUTH SHUT AND EARS AND EYES OPEN!!!!!!!

nwi45
01-16-2011, 12:41 PM
Who knows with iron workers, most of them are reckless. Probably have a first year walking beams and making crane picks haha.

But seriously the post above is pretty accurate. Probably learn the basics of stuff and safety.

250x_kyle
01-16-2011, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
im not a union iron worker but i am a union electrician, and I can say from day one you will be learning the equipment!! and safety practices,,,, KEEP YOU MOUTH SHUT AND EARS AND EYES OPEN!!!!!!!

someone hit that nail on the head.

Ruby Soho
01-16-2011, 07:30 PM
id pick another job imo. its not worth beating yourself up so bad. its truly a brutal job

buck440
01-16-2011, 07:46 PM
i like to feel like crap at the end of the day because i know i did something. i like to look back and say i built that to my best. it is as american as hotdogs or baseball unlike most jobs. it can give that adrenalin rush that i crave everyday. in every way this job is my match of coarse you dont know me and you wouldn't know that.

Ruby Soho
01-16-2011, 09:08 PM
well i was going to follow in my dads footsteps, but seeing him @ 50 is not how i want to end up. on your knee's welding all day everyday in 0 degree weather isn't fun. maybe when your young but it will get old.

just sayin.

bimcgo1
01-16-2011, 10:29 PM
I'm a union ironworker in Boston,I absolutly love it, but would never get my sons into it.You work like a dog in all kinds of weather conditions,get paid only for what you work.Depending on the job as a first year you would be a "punk". Getting coffee orders,fetching bolts,tending welders.On a smaller job you might have to do everything a journymen does.Just remember,first impresion will last a life time.Be sure to show up every day,NEVER BE LATE,and like the other guys said keep your mouth shut. If your a hard worker with common sense,you'll do just fine.The pays good,bennies are great. Good luck

FHKracingZ
01-17-2011, 04:01 PM
Im a non union pipefitter and I wouldnt trade for the union at all. From what I have seen the job all the union does is protect bad workers!

I would recommend finding a non union company if you interested in welding or such and learn that way.

buck440
01-17-2011, 05:01 PM
my dad has been a union pipefitter for 20 years local 136, my uncle's have been union ironworkers for 30 years, my cousins are union boilmakers and union electricians, it only seems right i go union lol. the pro's seem to outweigh the cons by far to be union. better pay, better safety, better benefits to name the few big ones. i understand you say non union because you are.

nwi45
01-17-2011, 05:29 PM
Non union is NOT the way to go if you ask me. I'm a UNION pipe fitter and we are highly skilled and talented. We do it right. There are union slugs and nonunion slugs. Youre gonna have bad workers wherever you go.

We get paid what we get paid because we're worth it. Are skills are unmatched.

I am 22. Been a fitter since I got out of high school. I make over 100k a year, well over if I chase the overtime. We have good benefits and retirement. I have over 50k in my 401k. WORK UNION - LIVE BETTER!

nwi45
01-17-2011, 05:30 PM
Dont get me wrong, i have nothing against non-union workers..as long as they stay off my jobsite. Union or not, everyone is out there to make a dollar and provide for their families.

anderson3064
01-17-2011, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by nwi45
Dont get me wrong, i have nothing against non-union workers..as long as they stay off my jobsite. Union or not, everyone is out there to make a dollar and provide for their families.
DO NOT work NON union....work twice as hard for half the wages and no protection. I am proud IUOE local 103. hevay equipment operator. I work around rodbusters all the time. Ironworkers is a strong union and something to be proud of. Everyone that ask me about getting in union I alwasy steer them toward electrical workers, pipefitters or ironworkers first. just because of the money they make and the time they are at home. i make good money but i work a butt load of overtime to earn it. doesnt leave alot of time with family and activites (quad riding).

nwi45
01-17-2011, 08:26 PM
Anderson is right. Ironworkers are a damn strong union. Solidarity. They stand up for eachother and stick together.

Read my post above too Anderson.

ZeroLogic
01-18-2011, 08:39 AM
I've heard/experienced good and bad from unions.

I'm an non union carpenter, and I've heard stories that would keep you up at night. I've worked with ex union guys that were very skilled but horrible workers.

But if I could get into the carpenters union, I would do it in a heartbeat.:o Non union is a joke. Bad pay no safety equipment, no retirement plans no benes.

I've climbed 40+ foot ladders where every rung was covered in ice and the ladder set up on ice with no harness or nothing, while hauling up 4x9 sheets up siding. I've climbed through rafters and walked cjs all the time anywhere from 12 feet up to 40 feet with nothing but a concrete floor to catch me.

That **** is for the birds. The union if you can get in is the way to go.:o

DnB_racing
01-18-2011, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
I've heard/experienced good and bad from unions.

I've climbed 40+ foot ladders where every rung was covered in ice and the ladder set up on ice with no harness or nothing, while hauling up 4x9 sheets up siding. I've climbed through rafters and walked cjs all the time anywhere from 12 feet up to 40 feet with nothing but a concrete floor to catch me.

That **** is for the birds. The union if you can get in is the way to go.:o this isn't a non union fault!!!! its yours, they are relying on your fear of loosing your job and making you do things that you feel arnt safe!!!its up to you to be safe no union or job stewart can help you if you choose to work dangerously, at the end of the day its you choice!! weather you work safe or not!!
dont ever be afraid to say thats not safe!!!!if they dont like it, then you have to ask yourself is it worth being paralized.... and walk away!!!!

ZeroLogic
01-18-2011, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
this isn't a non union fault!!!! its yours, they are relying on your fear of loosing your job and making you do things that you feel arnt safe!!!its up to you to be safe no union or job stewart can help you if you choose to work dangerously, at the end of the day its you choice!! weather you work safe or not!!
dont ever be afraid to say thats not safe!!!!if they dont like it, then you have to ask yourself is it worth being paralized.... and walk away!!!!

I agree its my fault but I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. If I can't do my job then there is ten other guys behind me that are ready to work.
Belive me I've been looking for a different work (a company or union). I'm not afraid of the heights or anything infact I love it but I have to pay the bills somehow. Work around this area is very low especially during the winter. I'm hoping to find a company or union to work for this summer. Not only for my safety but for the pay, and benes.

DnB_racing
01-18-2011, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
I agree its my fault but I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. If I can't do my job then there is ten other guys behind me that are ready to work.
Belive me I've been looking for a different work (a company or union). I'm not afraid of the heights or anything infact I love it but I have to pay the bills somehow. Work around this area is very low especially during the winter. I'm hoping to find a company or union to work for this summer. Not only for my safety but for the pay, and benes. some times for your own safety instead of grabbing the doughnut and coffee,, take a couple minutes to tie down the ladder, chip some ice, or just a little picking up of trip hazards, then take your break!! if anyone says anything when they go back to work and your still having coffee then tell them, next time its there turn to keep the crew safe!!!! ITS A CHIOCE TO WORK SAFE!! in the end everyone will benefit!!

if you got hurt your company would only blame you for not working in a safe manner,

FHKracingZ
01-19-2011, 11:40 AM
TTypical brainwashed union worker. You think cause your union your skills and quality are automatically better. Just because your have a piece of paper saying your a journeyman dosnt mean squat. Ive seen multiple union pipefitters that cant even weld purged sanitary pipe half decent. It all depends on the person not union or non union.

DnB_racing
01-19-2011, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by FHKracingZ
TTypical brainwashed union worker. You think cause your union your skills and quality are automatically better. Just because your have a piece of paper saying your a journeyman dosnt mean squat. Ive seen multiple union pipefitters that cant even weld purged sanitary pipe half decent. It all depends on the person not union or non union. who is this referring to???

Im sure everyone knows that there are good and bad workers in both union and non union, Union workers arnt brain washed ...they are secure and happy,,, why is that a problem??

as a rule the average union worker has gone thru much more training and updating of education and changes of enginerring and pratcies then most non union workers.. making them the more trained and qualified person for the job

FHKracingZ
01-19-2011, 03:00 PM
I was referring to the ego maniac pipe fitter. Im all for unions and will probally eventually be in the pipe fitters, i just dont care for the so die hard union guys that believe of u arnt union u dont know anything. You can read all the books and take classes you want, any labor job the training is on the job. You aint gonna learn how to weld pipe in a class lol.

DnB_racing
01-19-2011, 03:08 PM
I was referring to the ego maniac pipe fitter. Im all for unions and will probally eventually be in the pipe fitters, i just dont care for the so die hard union guys that believe of u arnt union u dont know anything. You can read all the books and take classes you want, any labor job the training is on the job. You aint gonna learn how to weld pipe in a class lol. believe me I know that only so much can be learned in school!! but the better rounded worker uses continuing education to help better themselves and unions do give you more opportunities for that,,, Im a union electrician and I am always taking continuing education classes and I wouldn't be were I am without the extra schooling!! believe me that's a big benefit!!

nwi45
01-19-2011, 05:51 PM
I was referring to the ego maniac pipe fitter. Im all for unions and will probally eventually be in the pipe fitters, i just dont care for the so die hard union guys that believe of u arnt union u dont know anything. You can read all the books and take classes you want, any labor job the training is on the job. You aint gonna learn how to weld pipe in a class lol.

Cool down brah. You're referring to me. If you read my post you'd see that I clearly said I have nothing against non union workers; we're all out there trying to get a paycheck.

You say I'm "brainwashed" because I think my skills are quality are better? Not quite buddy. Look at the facts. If a refinery or company wants something done right, they hire union. Look at how many scabs have been hurt at Citgo this year, the numbers are staggering versus when union fitters were there.

Or Accept/Fail X-Ray Weld Percentages? Theres the kicker. That's proof that we ARE more skilled.

Like I said, I have nothing against scabs, but when you go and talk about my union that I bust my *** for, I am going to throw it right back in your face.