PDA

View Full Version : Polishing this this will work?

killed300ex
02-12-2003, 06:47 PM
Ok i took a trip to wally world today with my bro. to pick out my bday present. I got 320 grit 800 grit 1000 grit and 1500 grit sand paper and some mothers polishing compound. I also got a buffing wheel for a drill will this be all ill need to do some small part polishing? All i want to do are the motor mounts and throtlle cover ect. Anyone have any tips and other tools i need?
killed

Ps should i try to get some 660 grit sandpaper? they were all out at the store.
killed

EDIT: sry im stupid and screwed up the thread name lol meant to say will this work?
ohh well

anywhereEx
02-12-2003, 07:08 PM
get some heavy duty stripease... It will make you life easier. It will bubble the paint right up

killed300ex
02-12-2003, 07:13 PM
is that all the sanding is for to take off the paint? i thoguht it was to make the metal realy smoot and take out all the defects help i need some tips ect
killed

DantheEXman
02-12-2003, 07:35 PM
ok... ill help ya out here.... That is the same way i started... Strip the paint how ever u please.. I used to use sand paper, some use paint stripper.. paint stripper WILL make life easier... After its stripped, start with the lowesr grit... i would start with 220 or 320, the work your way up to 1500... When ya get to 1000, start using it wet... This will get all the little scratches out... I dont see a need for your buffing wheel, mothers goes on with a rag and is for maintaining polished parts not polishing them, but it will look good enough, so after 1500 wet.... Just rub the mothers on a little till u see black residue and buff it off with a clean rag and whala, u have polished parts... To do it the right way, go to www.eastwoodcompany.com and just get a stick of tripoly at the least for your buffing wheel... then do that instead of the mothers and you will be amazed... and if ya wanna go all out... Get a sick of White rouge and another 4 inch buffig wheel and u have miorror finish parts. Hope i healped.

Dan

DantheEXman
02-12-2003, 07:37 PM
someone should put one of these polishing how to's in the FAQ forum and end the polishing questions.. there has to be 50+ threads just on polishing. lol

muff
02-12-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by DantheEXman
someone should put one of these polishing how to's in the FAQ forum and end the polishing questions.. there has to be 50+ threads just on polishing. lol

no kidding....I've found it easier just to sit back and let someone else answer it

MichaelS693
02-12-2003, 07:48 PM
thanks for the info... i to have been waiting to get real good info til i start

DantheEXman
02-12-2003, 08:01 PM
np.. glad i could help....

Thats about the last time i say that... Done it like 5 times in the past week... Someone PLEEASE out one of these in the FAQ forum lol.:macho

Sparks425Ex
02-12-2003, 08:23 PM
Yeah. I use Stripper, Sand up to 1500 wet starting on diff things depending on the metal texture. Then I buff with Tripoli and Clean then Buff with White Rouge then clean then buff with Jewlers Rouge. All on diff buffs of couse. Then polish.

Hey Guys. What are you guys using for stripper. I just started usinga new type that I found. Klean Strip KS-3 Stripper and It won't even touch the bottom layer on cases. I am haven a heck of a time with this new Stripper. I think I am switching back to the old stuff.

L.Vegas400
02-12-2003, 09:07 PM
i wonder if brake fluid would work?, it take the paint off of everything else...

CBW
02-13-2003, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by muff
no kidding....I've found it easier just to sit back and let someone else answer it

I found that out a long time ago...........but then i got many PM's and had to answer it anyway:D

,,but now i just sit back and watch:p

and post the same old boring pictures:ermm:

luvmyex
02-13-2003, 12:43 PM
I discovered the other day that accetone does a good job cleaning up the black junk left from polishing.but you go tru alot of papertowels.