PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather won't start

Coner
01-15-2011, 12:56 PM
When it's below 30 my 2006 Outlaw 500 won't start. Battery and starter are good, when it's above freezing it starts and runs fine. I run fuel stabilizer to exnay any possible fuel line freeze up.

Any tips?

TheLane
01-15-2011, 03:08 PM
you should double check what type of oil you should be running at that temperature. When it gets cold and gets too thick it could hinder your motor from running properly. also i dont think this would be just it, but you should be running different jets at a colder temperature like that.

Coner
01-15-2011, 08:18 PM
I've always ran the polaris PS-4 synthetic

Have not adjusted the jetting, however

TheLane
01-15-2011, 10:53 PM
id start with maybe your fuel air screw in low temps. It wont start with the choke on?

Coner
01-16-2011, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by TheLane
id start with maybe your fuel air screw in low temps. It wont start with the choke on?

That's correct. It might burp a couple times but it'll just keep cranking the starter

What sort of adjustment would be needed with the fuel air screw?

Brown450R
01-16-2011, 06:40 AM
I'm not familiar with the 500 outlaws so I don't know any specifics, but these are my general thoughts on temperature and not starting.
If it runs fine at 33 degrees but then won't start at 31 degrees, you don't have a jetting problem, you must have water in you fuel, fuel line, filter, screen, carb, etc. If you really just mean it won't start when its really cold, I would richen my fuel screw by backing it out a half turn, maybe increase pilot jet size. Are you sure your choke is working? A good carb cleaning couldn't hurt, although that isn't any fun in the cold.

Coner
01-16-2011, 07:44 AM
I suppose it's possible the choke isn't working properly, I'll have to play with the fuel screw perhaps

GE4x4
01-16-2011, 12:54 PM
Your valves need adjustments. This happen to my brothers Pred. We tried everything to no avail, then decided to adjust valves as it was never done. Once done, fired up every time.

Coner
01-16-2011, 01:21 PM
What sort of adjustments are needed to the valves?

I just talked to the dealer and they told me it needs re-jetted. They've had the same issue with other outlaws in the winter months

GE4x4
01-17-2011, 03:59 AM
Has this happen every winter, or did it just start happening? If it's been a every year, then jetting sounds right. But if it just started this year, I would bet it's valves.

Coner
01-17-2011, 04:25 AM
This is the first winter I've owned it. so unfortunately I don't know what it did prior to this

sleddog66
01-17-2011, 05:43 AM
Honestly, everybody is correct. Set the valves, and rejet. A bigger pilot will help it fire, but you need to richen the needle and main as well so you are not running real lean in cold weather. You really need to do BOTH.

Michael0641
01-28-2011, 04:41 PM
I just bought one as well and it was having trouble cranking, it would turn over and start up and go dead, i also had it outside in our open carport, i'm in alabama and it was pretty cold at night, i figured out it will fit in my building so i put it in there and every time i go out to start it it cranks right up, funny huh?